DC3 AIRWAYS ANNOUNCES ITS 20TH ANNUAL WORLD RALLY

shermank

DC3 AIRWAYS ANNOUNCES THE 20TH ANNUAL WORLD RALLY

The year 2020 is proving to be an historic one for reasons both bad and good. We all know the bad ones, so here is some of the good news.

For the 20th consecutive year DC3 Airways (www.dc3airways.net) is proud to present its annual World Rally. The Rally is a special event challenging even the most dedicated flight simulation pilots. Not only does it require the usual skills of flying and navigation, but like a road rally, The World Rally flights have specific timed check points among other features to make what might be an ordinary flight from A to B something more memorable.

This year’s WORLD RALLY begins on Saturday October 3 and will continue for 10 separate flight routes taking pilots all across the Globe.

While the rally will be challenging for the experienced pilot, those with lesser skills are also eligible to sign up. In this case, while your scores might not be all that competitive, you will have the opportunity to join an endeavor that brings scores of simulation enthusiasts together. In other words, the idea is to have fun as you learn beyond the basics and perhaps sharpen your skills in the bargain.

The DCA World Rally, as might be expected, requires pilots to fly the venerable DC3 aircraft. There are many freeware as well as payware versions available. Some are almost cockpit ready, while others might have a steeper learning curve, just as real world DC3 pilots face.

So strap on your seat belt and check out the 2020 20th Annual DCA World Rally. For information go to

http://dc3airways.net/wr/

Sherman Kaplan

Director Public Relations

DC3 AIRWAYS.

HI TTM,

your choice of sim. this is not necessarily an MP project....any sim that can accommodate any model DC 3...so far, that does not include MSFS2020...:-(

Also, if you do not want to actually register as a rally participant, you still will be able to download all the  ten flight plans and fly them at your leisure.

thanks for your interest

Sherm

1 hour ago, TigerTigerM said:

I'm waiting for the Jahn/Visser FSX C-47 to come into MSFS:)

It may be doable:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/fsx-import-showcase/165910/152

TTM

I am not sure that will happen soon. Jan is very ill...but maybe Manfred Jahn or others on the team will pick it up. I do have on Very good inside authority that the Aeroworx DC3 for Xplane is being developed for an MSFS conversion.

57 minutes ago, shermank said:

I am not sure that will happen soon. Jan is very ill...but maybe Manfred Jahn or others on the team will pick it up. I do have on Very good inside authority that the Aeroworx DC3 for Xplane is being developed for an MSFS conversion.

Sorry to hear about Jan.

I think a good DC3/C47 would be welcomed in MSFS.

TTM

Also, if you do not want to actually register as a rally participant, you still will be able to download all the  ten flight plans and fly them at your leisure.

thanks for your interest      I would like to download the 10 flight plans without registering however cannot get anything when I click on World Rally 2020 in the website. Likely to be 99% my error but need some assistance getting the plans please.

5 hours ago, Bassman said:

thanks for your interest      I would like to download the 10 flight plans without registering however cannot get anything when I click on World Rally 2020 in the website. Likely to be 99% my error but need some assistance getting the plans please.

Hi Bassman and others,

The truth is that the link is not live yet. By that, I mean you can reach it, but so far there is no information posted yet by DCA managers who will be  running the rally. Please check back regularly. I am not certain what is causing the delay, but will check it out. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Sherm

17 hours ago, shermank said:

I fly the Vissar\Jahn version so cannot answer from hands on experience. I will check with my fellow pilots who use the payware and get feedback. Thanks for your interest..

Sherm

Hi Doc, 

The freeware version is regarded as a solid representation of the DC3/C47 in reality, so there may not be much to gain from payware. That evaluation comes from a couple of sources, one of whom is involved in creation of the X Plane version, which is highly regarded by that flight community. So, bottom line, save your money until something better might come along. BTW, work is also underway for a MSFS 2020 version, but I have no firm time frame for that.

Sherm

I will hang on until the freeware version is readied.  As far as MSFS goes, there are a lot of problems for complex aircraft being made ready for it.  Many months away at least for developers such as PMDG and FsLabs.  Until then, I will use P3d for airliners and such and MSFS for GA/bush flying.

1 hour ago, Doc_Z said:

I will hang on until the freeware version is readied.  As far as MSFS goes, there are a lot of problems for complex aircraft being made ready for it.  Many months away at least for developers such as PMDG and FsLabs.  Until then, I will use P3d for airliners and such and MSFS for GA/bush flying.

That's basically my plan....and I really hope there will be more planes with analog gauges instead of the glass cockpit. At the same time, I wish there was some way to enlarge the GPS via a popup as can be done with many FSX and P3D Aircraft. Those tiny click points and numbers just do not work for me and I have a 27 inch wide screen monitor with a  2560 by 1080 display.

Sherm

One more note about payware or freeware...quoting a friend..

No need to spend any money unless they are using FSX or P3D and want to use the Sperry Autopilot. Then Aeroplane Haven is their best bet.

Sherm

2 hours ago, shermank said:

That's basically my plan....and I really hope there will be more planes with analog gauges instead of the glass cockpit. At the same time, I wish there was some way to enlarge the GPS via a popup as can be done with many FSX and P3D Aircraft. Those tiny click points and numbers just do not work for me and I have a 27 inch wide screen monitor with a  2560 by 1080 display.

Sherm

I fully agree. Especially those glass VSIs I hardly can read.

Hi all, here is the latest from the DCA 2020 WORLD RALLY

The flight-plans and flight descriptions will be made available at September the 26th. You can start your flights then and file PIREPS, but the results will be posted after the flight period is closed (for the first flight after October the 8th).

Sherm

• 4 weeks later...

Archived