For Renault - you think a chopper is bad?

andy1252

I made a jokey comment to Pete @renault about his comment re helicopters in a recent post and it reminded me of this little experiment. I was playing with this thing for days. Managed to get reasonably comfortable getting off the ground and moving cautiously around, so thought I'd get a bit adventurous. Started out in downtown LA. Or, to be more precise, somewhere above downtown LA . . .

YpLtmWI.jpg

fSMS3ud.jpg

n9bPRG5.jpg

7TbT5AL.jpg

h6NAqFh.jpg

DzadtNZ.jpg

yWgQlF4.jpg

GIW5b3M.jpg

xhHFNnM.jpg

jtMBPeG.jpg

UuPRDTc.jpg

xFbnprK.jpg

COkEpaq.jpg

Now, you'd think that managing to do all that so far (I was in the air under pretty much full control for about six minutes at this point), and having managed to get down to rooftop level (and at a fairly modest speed, 20 or so), that I'd be able to land ok.

But alas, I haven't mastered that aspect yet! But like the T-shirt says "Gaming has destroyed my life. Lucky I've got three left". I believe the real thing this is based on is only expected to be taken up to maybe 30 feet, and has only done flights of a few hundred yards, so at least I've improved on that!

You would certainly want to be in control of that thing in the first pics, especially at those heights!  Now down lower at, say roof top level maybe not so much need to be in control, but hey, that's just me!  But congratulations you are making progress and that's more than I could probably do with a hover craft! :lol:  Cool shots btw!

On 8/23/2020 at 11:38 PM, BradB said:

Great shots "Hover Man" . :):D

Cheers John. This is an incredibly frustrating thing to try and use, but I'll keep at it over time and who knows, one day I may actually land the thing.

On 8/23/2020 at 11:39 PM, renault said:

Scary, scary , scary. :o:o

But looks like fun!

Cheers

Pete

And gorgeous screenshots too!

Cheers Pete. I can't even begin to imagine using on of these for real. But people do, or at least someone does, I've seen 'em on Youtube. A jet pack is hard enough to control but balancing as well?

On 8/24/2020 at 6:20 AM, adambar said:

Now that's pretty cool. :D

Ain't it just? I need a John Travolta avatar for this thing!

On 8/24/2020 at 6:20 AM, Iain Emms said:

Fine set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Cheers Iain, will we see you up on one of these?

On 8/24/2020 at 2:31 PM, lifejogger said:

A great way to see the scenery!!!!!!!!!  Excellent shots.

I doubt that you'd actually see anything apart from your life flashing past you!

15 hours ago, Wakashi said:

You would certainly want to be in control of that thing in the first pics, especially at those heights!  Now down lower at, say roof top level maybe not so much need to be in control, but hey, that's just me!  But congratulations you are making progress and that's more than I could probably do with a hover craft! :lol:  Cool shots btw!

Hi Roger, it is huge fun but an absolute bugger to control. When you've got it steady you can take a look around but then you tend to lose it again. Actually, I suppose that's a bit like life generally!

Archived