Let's All Cool Down!

Like many, no doubt, I've been following with great interest the negative comments about The London City Pack, released by Orbx to complement MSFS. I own the sim, and have bought the pack, but have yet to fly, because I'm waiting for my new HOTAS to arrive.

However, I must say that I'm quite shocked by the vehemence that some people have adopted in their attacks on Orbx over this. Perhaps it was rushed to sale prematurely, as indeed many people have said about the sim itself.

@Nick Cooper and the developers have been upfront about the issues, and have promised to address them, and to update them as soon as possible. Have the detractors forgotten about the hours of immersive flying they have undertaken, aided by the stunning quality of Orbx add-ons?

How about cutting them some slack, or as we say here in Australia, giving them a fair-go? I mean, it all pales into insignificance when MSFS doesn't give Sydney the Harbour Bridge!

However, I must say that I'm quite shocked by the vehemence that some people have adopted in their attacks on Orbx over this. Perhaps it was rushed to sale prematurely, as indeed many people have said about the sim itself.

I get that you are defending against very angry reactions but using the defense that people have talked about the sim being rushed to market also is ridiculous. I just watched a comparison video of the Tower Bridge and Parliament models from the base sim to the Orbx pack and the downgrade in quality is absolutely unacceptable. The simulator definitely has bugs but that doesn't compare to what looks like Orbx ignoring quality control and pushing out an inferior product.

Have the detractors forgotten about the hours of immersive flying they have undertaken, aided by the stunning quality of Orbx add-ons?

I haven't forgotten anything...this was the first Orbx product I have ever bought from them. Considering that it adds clearly inferior scenery in place of original models and shoddy placeholders for models that will undoubtedly be replaced in the future (like Buckingham Palace), I'm more than a bit perturbed. I bought this pack because I thought Orbx would not be the type of developer to pull a trick like this and now I know better for the future.

I've already said my piece on this subject elsewhere. Happy to wait for a patch that will hopefully uplift my spirits regarding this particular addon. I know they can do so much better with this particular product. Got most of their other airports and addons and never had an issue before.

Interesting that I flew around the London City pack yesterday and it looked fine to me.  I'm just wondering if the MSFS settings are set to one of the lower two settings some of the models might revert to lower quality default models to keep the scenery ticking along???

Tigermothpilot... You will note that I rarely post in forums, but sometimes you need to make a stand. So your saying that if this was a brand new 2020 model Toyota and the wheels fell off and the paintwork was crap, you wouldn't be upset.. You would say lets just cut them some slack because there other Toyota's they have built in the past have been good. Understand you trying to hose this down, however there is no hosing down the indefensible. Orbx has continued to do great quality work and have built up the expectation with their products and  their brand,  but unfortunately this decision to release this utter rubbish is seen as nothing short of a quick cash grab. This package is fs2004 days. At some point there has been a significant disconnect between Orbx product testers and the final review committee before releasing this failed product. Like you guys, many of us have been here since John was in Melbourne trying to make a difference when it was Voz and decided to bring Orbx to the world. By trying to make a quick buck, you peanuts they have cause considerable damage to their brand and really gutted out the level of trust that people have in the Orbx brand and Products. This basically says that this is the road map forward for all other products that have been brilliant in FSX, P3D & X-plane and now they have an extremely high potential of being garbage in MSFS2020 and this only stands to destroy the the brand trust and consumer faith in Orbx Products. 

Call it out and say it how it is. Pull the product from sale. Go back to the drawing board and redo the dam thing from scratch and get it right. Orbx have always exceeded expectations with their far better than default sceneries, but seriously this is a disaster. Until I seen these threads about the packages on offer, I had planned to purchase all of the addon's available this evening, but guess what, not now and probably not for at least a year or two until you mob get your act together.. Yes I own every product Orbx has ever made, but it really infuriates me when people like yourself think they should tell other people how they should feel and react when something is not right, simply because it suits your own narrative..   

Most people on these forums have been here a while, and perhaps aren't so worried about the scenery, because Orbx have a decent reputation for patching and improving things with service packs etc. I guess one issue will be, that for a whole new bunch of people, this will be the first time they have come across Orbx, so as much as anything, it's a great opportunity to make a good first impression with a whole new customer base.

Default London in MSFS is pretty limited, so I'm pleased that they are here to step in, and it's very kind of them to release my local airport first, so I'm pleased with what Orbx have on offer, but I do agree that the bar has been raised now by MSFS, so they need to get things right to make the most of this new market opening up for them.

As the saying goes, 'don't worry, you always get a second chance to make a first impression', at least I think that's how it goes :rolleyes:

Whilst I totally understand some of the sentiments being expressed, I do think some people are getting a little overexcited. A sense of perspective and proportion is required. We are playing a computer game for heavens sake, no one has died or got injured. Covid 19 is a "disaster", some dodgy looking buildings in a flight simulator add on is hardly the end of the world!

24 minutes ago, RiddlesdenLad said:

Whilst I totally understand some of the sentiments being expressed, I do think some people are getting a little overexcited. A sense of perspective and proportion is required. We are playing a computer game for heavens sake, no one has died or got injured. Covid 19 is a "disaster", some dodgy looking buildings in a flight simulator add on is hardly the end of the world!

You missed the point.  I can get Covid 19 for free.  London landmarks I had to pay for.  So the next time your local garage rips you off for a changed light bulb you will not mind..  This could destroy the reputation of Orbx because of late they seem to be lowering the bar.

1 minute ago, jaydor said:

You missed the point.  I can get Covid 19 for free.  London landmarks I had to pay for.  So the next time your local garage rips you off for a changed light bulb you will not mind..

Actually I think it's you that missed the point and your bad tempered response proves that. I'm not going to waste my time trying to reason with people that seemingly have nothing better to do than rage about a product that cost a few measly quid AND Orbx HAVE ALREADY SAID IS GOING TO BE FIXED. 

I have been aware of Orbx for about 8 years, but I never got into flight simming until now. From afar I got the impression that Orbx made the best scenery and that they'd be unlikely to put out a shoddy product. I am sure those airports they are releasing are nice. But I have have 20 hand-crafted airports in MSFS already, so I'm not yet in the market for those. But the idea of having enhanced scenery for London (or Paris, New York, etc.) definitely appealed to me. My first purchase was certainly going to be London Landmarks. And it still might be. It all depends upon what that Gripper dude on Youtube says when he installs the update and does another comparison video. I trust him. Based on the excuses here and the way criticism is being handled, I won't simply go by some carefully selected screenshots from Orbx.

I am also very unimpressed with Orbx shutting down the thread where we were discussing all of this. It's their forums and they can do whatever they want. But between making lame excuses for why so many of their POI were shockingly low in quality verses default imagery (inexcusable!) and what their responses have been, I am very disappointed. If they want new simmers like me to actually look forward to their new releases, they'll have to actually apologize and completely fix this scenery. Maybe the former is not they way they do business, but they need to understand they are in the process of trying to impress a large number of new simmers and that their previous efforts means nothing to these people as they have no knowledge of it. If you frequent other non-Orbx forums where threads are not killed off because Orbx doesn't like what is being said, you'll see that they are gaining a reputation among those that do not know them for the previous products as a low-quality producer of scenery that was in for a quick money grab by being first to the MSFS Marketplace. This was all quite avoidable. I mean how could no one at Orbx have noticed how much worse Tower Bridge and the House of Parliament were compared to default? Again: Inexcusable.

If this seems impassioned, imagine how impassioned I can be when you get it right. I'd be singing your praises here and elsewhere including Youtube. Ball is in your court, Orbx.

I must admit having had some misgivings about  the speed that the first Orbx products were released, port overs are rarely any good, but bought them all in any case LOWI has a few issues but I can live with them for the moment, Leeds likewise, EGLC is far better than the xp11  version as it doesnt bring the p.c. to its knees,  however it is the manner in which the complaints of the london scenery have been treated/dealt with that will affect not ony my future purchases but no doubt many other people as well. It is time for the MD to make a public apology, nothing short of that will address public concern 

2 hours ago, RiddlesdenLad said:

I'm not going to waste my time trying to reason with people that seemingly have nothing better to do than rage about a product that cost a few measly quid AND Orbx HAVE ALREADY SAID IS GOING TO BE FIXED. 

Since I downloaded the FREE Pacific Northwest & Bowerman, (8 Years ago)  I have bought around 60+ Orbx products, never hesitated to click the purchase button, knowing I was getting the Best of the Best.

I'll waste a couple seconds!
YOU are the one missing the point. The point being: This addon is/was not UP to the Orbx we knew standards. There is nothing more to say.
Yes, they are going to fix it, but it should have never gone to sale, even if it was a single "measly quid". <- Your words!

my 2 cts.

1 hour ago, Seanmo said:

I am also very unimpressed with Orbx shutting down the thread where we were discussing all of this.

It's their forums and they can do whatever they want.

Hello,

here is where we stand:

Customers have identified some shortfalls in a product.

Customers and those who are not customers but have read the customer' comments, have voiced their opinions.

Customers and those who are not customers have offered their advice to the Orbx management on how they should proceed.

In response to that, the Orbx management have undertaken to revise the product to better reflect the customers' various requests.

Until the next version of the product is released, posting further duplicates is entirely unnecessary.

As to the need to:

3 hours ago, Marfarkar said:

make a stand.

as the problem is acknowledged and updates are in hand, there seems to be nothing to make a stand for, or against.

Nor is there anything left to discuss, until the update is released, once again, not because of a need to censor but

because it has it already all been said.

The topics remain there for all to read at will, as does this one.

Archived