Windows 10 2004 update works with P3D v5+HF1

CZZ

To clarify; Win 10 2004 Build 19041 Beta is available to everyone and has been a hot topic in the P3D Community since it's the first version designed to more fully utilize DX12  which is the new rendering engine for P3Dv5 and future MSFS 2020. It works as advertised with positive gains in every area. It also plays well with X-Plane and has made improvements on my rig. If you wish to be an early adapter join the Windows Insider Program by going to: Start/Settings/Update & Security/Window Insider Program and sign up. You will have immediate access to 2004 Build 19041. 

Now before you get all starry eyed and rush to upgrade consider this;

In the past month  and a half 2004 ate my credentials folder and corrupted all my passwords among other incidents. It's favorite food to eat and regurgitate inappropriately is apps, especially it's own like Mail & Calendar, Microsoft Store, People, et al.  I now have an insomniac computer that refuses to go to sleep. To compensate for your loss you get to preview the next iteration of Microsoft Edge. Be prepared to spend an innate amount of time running the Event Viewer reviewing details of Critical Errors, Errors, and Warnings that appear and disappear on a daily basis. If you like chasing gremlins it's great fun and somebody's got to do it. Also, the v450.xx series of graphics drivers are not yet available  so it's not possible to evaluate the full impact/improvement we might experience.

I'm a I/T Professional that that loves Beta's and runs P3Dv5HF1 and X-Plane 11.50b9 so this is more of hobby on a hobby for me but for the casual user it can be overwhelming. When something goes awry you now have multiple logs, files, and reports to digest if you want to find the root of the issue. Running three Beta software packages does increase your risk of failures.

Now, you get to make a choice; do you patiently wait for the official release and just have to deal with the usual roll out bugs or commit and get into the fray?

Sleep well America, Microsoft is working diligently on solving all the world's problems and if you file your bug report today we'll be sure to get on it right after the next release...

Roger

rhalunen:

Apparently my install is not a beta.
My build number is 19041.264.

I downloaded the ISO file from Microsoft late in the evening on 5/27/20 as a non-Insider Program member.
I have installed it on 4 computers and have used it without any problems (even in Aerofly).

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/235690/windows-10-version-2004-is-now-available:
(posted on 5/27/20)
“Beginning today, the May 2020 Update is available for customers who would like to install this latest release,” Microsoft Director John Cable announced today. “We are taking a measured and phased approach to how we offer the May Update, initially limiting availability to those devices running Windows 10 versions 1903 and 1909 who seek the update via Windows Update.”

https://techjourney.net/windows-10-v-2004-build-19041-264-updated-may-2020-iso-disc-images-released-for-download/:
"It seems like Microsoft has determined that Windows 10 Build 19041.264 is much more stable that Windows 10 Build 19041.208, and decided to release new ISO images based on Windows 10 Build 19041.264, making the build 19041.264 the new final RTM build of Windows 10 Version 2004, aka Windows 10 May 2020 Update, codenamed 20H1."

Take care

Just to emphasize what @rhalunen has said, don't rush and force your PC into the 2004 update.
As exciting as it is to have extra VRAM made available for P3Dv5, there are reasons for holding off until version 2004 is ready for you.

Don’t Press Windows 10 2004 ‘Update Now’ Button, Microsoft Warns - Forbes

We're already looking into these 10 issues, says Microsoft - ZDNet

Your PC will update to the new update when it is compatible with your setup.
Then you will get to enjoy the benefits the update brings, but without all of the hassle.

Greetings CZZ;

Interesting...

Build 19041.xxx does indicate Version 2004. Congratulations!

I checked my System Information App and I show; Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041. I'm on the inner ring beta and I take what they give me. New information is always encouraged and welcome. I'll do a little digging to see if yours is Release Candidate 1 that they're phased rolling out to the general public. They really don't tell us much or give feedback; we're just the sump they pump out to data mine deficiencies, we just get to play while it's being built (And file error/bug reports).

MS does different builds for the various levels of Win 10 so there is conflicting nomenclature floating around. Mine is still Beta hence the odd numbering. Gotta love Microsoft....

I still stand firmly on the comments I made in my previous post. Hopefully my woe's will not be included in the new release.

Anyway, no matter what, it will be finalized and released at some point. No worries.

As I said wholeheartedly , all new information, suggestions, and help from others is not only welcomed but genuinely appreciated! 

Keep the blue side up and the greasy side down.

Cordially,
Roger Halunen

"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life"

rhalunen:

Your cautionary comments are very important and should be considered by everyone!
As a retired IT person, I run each new MS RTM update in a separate vol for testing purposes.
Then after full vol backups, I install it in my other vols (Main, P3D, Aerofly).
If a vol has a problem, I simply reformat the vol and recover via the backup.

I am a non-active member of the Insider Program, and I stopped using the betas for all of the reasons you mentioned.

Take care

On 5/28/2020 at 9:41 PM, Rodneyprice said:

Have checked my update and it says i have the latest 1909  , Dont know why it wont find the new update. 

I just installed it...and am loading in my flight sims.  You need to use the Update Assistant Program. That will get you the just released three days ago...v2004. It runs like a charm..

I did mine like, at three in the morning, lol.

6 hours ago, Richard Lincoln said:

No Issues here.

Richard, i had, using the latest released nVidia driver suite,  with water set to Ultra...square white hash lines, where the tiles were connecting on the water surface. Not so, in P3D v4.5HS2.  I don't know at this time, if it a v2004/P3D v5.x thing, or just the nVidia driver suite/W10 Pro v2004 thing.   Hope to get around that.  

On 5/29/2020 at 7:52 PM, F737NG said:

As exciting as it is to have extra VRAM made available for P3Dv5, there are reasons for holding off until version 2004 is ready for you.

Very wise words! My philosophy too.

On 5/29/2020 at 6:52 PM, F737NG said:

Just to emphasize what @rhalunen has said, don't rush and force your PC into the 2004 update.
Your PC will update to the new update when it is compatible with your setup.
Then you will get to enjoy the benefits the update brings, but without all of the hassle.

No argument here, however, if after reading the caveats, it appears that one has none of the items detailed as not yet compatible,

there isn't really a reason not to choose to update, as I did.

So long as the choice is informed and the user is prepared to accept that it might not be a perfect process it seems to make sense and

of course, it is entirely reversible, in the short term.

As ever, the problems stem from the 16 million potential PC hardware configurations mentioned by Mcrosoft themselves and of course

the far greater number of users who are entirely unpredictable.

On a very small scale, Orbx is faced with the same thing on occasion. Customers have been known to make support requests that have been

resolved when the pre-existing incompatible software has been identified and dealt with.

Archived