P3D v5 testing and enjoying

So, last Tuesday I woke up with just one goal: purchase P3D v5. After seeing all those beautiful capture I couldn't stand it any longer. :)

We're already a hotfix further and there needs to be done a lot more but the sim has definitely potention.

I was experiencing quiet a few CTD's but after tuning back my CPU a notch, that seems to be over. It turns out that V5 cooks more cores than V4 did and thus, 5Ghz on all cores was a bit too much for my 8700K. Now, only core 0 is 5.0Ghz and the rest 4.8Ghz.

I'm still in an experimental fase and do not have all Orbx scenery and aircraft installed but enough to stress test the sim and flying at Seattle and London with 30FPS locked is a real charm.

1. Oh those shaders...

01.jpg

2. Yes, I'm a happy camper! :)

02.jpg

3. Doing this with the fluency of V5 is a real joy.

03.jpg

4. P3D V5 HF1 brought us many improvements like cloud shadows.

04.jpg

5. TE NL can be flown full scale: everything on.

05.jpg

6. Some aircraft didn't need to be re-installed because of the xml-add-on method. I simply copied the add-on.xml to V5.

06.jpg

7. Is this the Seattle area? Yes it is, near Everett. 30FPS? Hell yeah!

07.jpg

8. This is Wales Open LC Europe, so before installing the FTX version.

08.jpg

9. IRIS T-6 inbound Thessaloniki. The water still can use some touch, especially in smaller rivers, lakes, etc.

09.jpg

10. Open LC Europe Greece. It looks so PR like.

10.jpg

Cheers,

Ben.

Man those textures are so sharp! Great shots! This has got me curious....can you please let me know if you are visibly getting much sharper textures in V5 compared to V4? I love sharp textures and hence wanted to know your experience in V5. Thanks

Amazing shots, Ben. Another good teaser of v5.

Now... let us know your hardware specs, please?

7 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

how do did you figure out the "cooks cores" bit and how to change it?

Good questions.

52 minutes ago, adambar said:

Outstanding shots from V5 Ben.:)  when you install V5HF1, make sure you follow Nick's instructions in the V5 support forum exactly. I Didn't the first time and had some CTD's. :banghead:

+1 - I'm very happy with V5 right now , I think I will wait for V5.1 release .:)-_-

Thank you all for the kind comments! :wub:

16 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

1. I too have an 8700 so how do did you figure out the "cooks cores" bit and how to change it?

2. What is this xml method of installing planes?

1. In Windows Task manager you can see that more CPU cores run at 100% where in V4 it was only core 0. BTW, the GPU usage is not accurate in the standard Task manager. You can select Graphics_1 in the "3D" menu to make it accurate:

image.png.1ae8e43f4b5fdf92d8f456cdf1988fa9.png

2. The xml method it, installing add-on aircraft and scenery outside P3D.  Unfortunately I have many planes which cannot be installed with this method.

16 hours ago, Ams said:

This has got me curious....can you please let me know if you are visibly getting much sharper textures in V5 compared to V4? I love sharp textures and hence wanted to know your experience in V5.

Sometimes I indeed got the feeling that it's more sharp but I have set "Image Sharpening" in the NVIDIA Control Panel. The posted images are resized from 1440P to 1080P. That gives more sharpness too.

8 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Now... let us know your hardware specs, please?

My PC:

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 8700K with HT on. Core speeds: Core 0: 5Ghz, the others 4.8Ghz

Nvidia GTX 1080ti with 11GB vram (important one!)

16 GB 2666Mhz RAM

1TB M.2 SSD for OS and 1TB M.2 SSD for P3D

6 hours ago, adambar said:

when you install V5HF1, make sure you follow Nick's instructions in the V5 support forum exactly. I Didn't the first time and had some CTD's

I indeed had CTD's but when I tuned down my 8700K a bit to the above settings those were over. The CPU is used more by P3D v5, making the OC unstable I guess. I haven't looked at Nick's tips but I certainly will. Thanks for the tip Adam.

Cheers,

Ben.

4 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

1. In Windows Task manager you can see that more CPU cores run at 100% where in V4 it was only core 0. BTW, the GPU usage is not accurate in the standard Task manager. You can select Graphics_1 in the "3D" menu to make it accurate:

Thanks Ben, we have the exact same system.

Archived