How to fix Boulder City issue?

Just now, Nick Cooper said:

This and many other airports will be made P3D v5 compatible, I feel sure.:)

Nice.  That said though, not everyone is interested in migrating to v5.  We'll work on a fix for those who aren't and who are in this support dilema.

Now that I have everything installed again I have the complete brigde showing up.  Still do not have a shadow under my aircraft when on the runway at 61B.  But if I change airports I have a shadow.  So something with the Boulder City scenery I guess.

hoover dam2.jpg

9 minutes ago, kmelz said:

Can anyone share their original APX17190.bgl? I have mine disabled

As in you deleted it?  Thise files should never be disables in that you lose dozens of other airports in the process.

Ah now I remember that I updated the nav aids from that same source, so I guess that was the cause of this issue.  I renamed the file that Nick suggested and that fixed the issue.  I guess I could reinstall P3D 4.5 to get the original file back.  If someone who has the original file could upload it to this thread I would greatly appreciate it (P3D v4\scenery\0202\scenery\APX17190.bgl ).

Edited by jfwharton

40 minutes ago, Ken Hall said:

Just woke up and saw this, we were forced to go with 61b as p3d recognises it as that, like Nick said if p3d v5 changes the name to KVBU   then some renaming will be needed for V5 files.

So this is what I stumbled on with SCA and having the aero.sors update as well.  I managed to fix the issue for the SCA field, but had to do some ADE and XML work to do so.  I made those available to the community.

That said, I am going to be in the camp with a base dataset having the field as KBVU.  I don't plan on updating to v5 right away regardless of if it has 61B or BVU in the default dataset, so I'd like to get a fix regardless.  I imagine, if I have to do it myself, it will be the same ADE and XML work required for at least one of the BGL's for this product.  I am however, hoping a fix is coming for those of us who do have updated data, but aren't eager to make the migration to v5.  This was to be a day one purchase for me, but I know (as I had a feeling) that it was going to have a conflict.  Again, I am not going to have any meaningful time to sit down with it though for a day or two.  @kmelz I understand your rule out technique.  I am in the same camp you are.  The fix is to either find a default, unmodified APX17190 as you are searching for, leave it disabled (not ideal), or have the Boulder City bgl's corrected to reflect BVU instead of 61B.  If I make headway on it before it gets addressed here, I'll post a follow up.  Keep this thread bookmarked though, because this is going to be a popular support topic :-)

Edited by medx421
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jfwharton said:

Here is my scenery config file.  And here is what 61B looks like if I uninstall the Boulder City scenery.

61B 2.jpg

scenery.cfg 28.61 kB · 2 downloads

Hi

Just an added observation...I do not see the Orbx Libraries installed to the scenery.cfg, so hopefully they are installed to an external library?

When I started this issue my Orbx scenery was migrated to a separate library folder.  I have since removed all of my Orbx scenery, deleted the remnants from the library folder and reinstalled my Orbx scenery into the P3D main folder.  The reason was because with the scenery in an external library the Orbx scenery in the scenery library was locked in place and could not be adjusted.

I do have one question, however, regarding updating the navaids in P3D/FSX.  Why should updating the navaids affect the field elevations?  I would think that all that would change would be the navaid frequencies, headings (for ILS approaches) and stuff like that.  Nothing that would affect the elevation of the airfield.

9 minutes ago, jfwharton said:

When I started this issue my Orbx scenery was migrated to a separate library folder.  I have since removed all of my Orbx scenery, deleted the remnants from the library folder and reinstalled my Orbx scenery into the P3D main folder.  The reason was because with the scenery in an external library the Orbx scenery in the scenery library was locked in place and could not be adjusted.

When scenery is installed via .xml method in an external location, it does not matter where it is located in the scenery library, then these items can be deactivated or activated from with in the P3D Addons menu.

10 minutes ago, jfwharton said:

Why should updating the navaids affect the field elevations? 

Because the developers of the navaid decided they needed to change runway elevations for some reason....it is very common issue that we are encountering continuously to advise on elevation issues. 

15 minutes ago, jfwharton said:

I do have one question, however, regarding updating the navaids in P3D/FSX.  Why should updating the navaids affect the field elevations?  I would think that all that would change would be the navaid frequencies, headings (for ILS approaches) and stuff like that.  Nothing that would affect the elevation of the airfield.

What it does, in this case, is makes FSX/P3D display 2 different airports at the same place.  As the 2 fields are designed differently, and with separate elevation data, it throws a real wrench in the mix.  If you want to see other examples of affected fields, go to any of the below providing you have NCA or CRM also:

KDIJ - Driggs-Reed Memorial - Formerly U59

KGOO - Nevada County - Formerly O17

KMPI - Mariposa-Yosemite - Formerly O68

KJAQ - Westover Amador County - Formerly O70

Edited by medx421
  • Like 1

I haven’t purchased Orbx 61B as yet but did have elevation and duplicate runway issues due to conflicts with P3D’s 61B and updated Navigraph/fsAerodata for KBVU. I fixed it by disabling (not deleting) the conflicting 61B files. If Orbx doesn’t provide some means (optional patch perhaps) of correcting the ICAO designation, then those of us who receive regular Navigraph/fsAerodata updates will have a problem. I do very much want this Orbx scenery though for sentimental reasons. 
I do find it interesting that Orbx went with the old ICAO for 61B but went with the new ICAO for KGPI, formerly KFCA. I had similar issues there when I installed the Orbx product and fixed it similarly by disabling the duplicates.
Another means to eliminate conflicts with Navigraph/fsAerodata is to ensure they are below any Orbx/FTX entries in the scenery config. Doing this eliminated a problem with elevations and duplicate runways at KFHR. You may lose access to updated approaches, etc however. 

Edited by GerryJ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jfwharton said:

Basically because the FSX airport database and the addon navigation database do not coincide.

In all cases, the airport elevation is chosen from a fixed point, because in the real world, very few of them are perfectly flat.

In FSX and P3D they are, with a few notable exceptions, all perfectly flat, so if the chosen spot in one database is not exactly

the same as the chosen spot in another, the elevations will not coincide.

The main problem, as already explained many times in this topic, is the presence of two airport versions at the same time.

Hi Nick, 

I know you guys have other priorities right now and this is outside the scope of support so please don't prioritize - others may jump in.

Hypothetically ( ;) ) one could recompile 61B_APX.bgl and change the ICAO to KBVU, and place the new KBVU_APX.bgl in the Orbx\FTX_AA_61B folder.  This might interfere with AI and ATC operations, however, it would fix the exclusion issues with people using FSAeroData or other navigation updates.  Are there other issues that I'm not considering?

Thanks,

sg

6 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

changing the ICAO code as you suggest would then fail to exclude the default 61B

and there would still be two active airports at the same place.

Sorry - wasn't completely clear - the user would still need to have an "empty" 61B_APX.bgl there to successfully exclude 61B...

To Scott's point though, the Aerodata or aero.sors modified default APX17190.bgl would reflect BVU instead of 61B, so modifying the product .bgl to KBVU should exclude the modified default.  That's how I fixed the SCA airport issue.  Changing the ICAO isn't difficult.  It's changing the elevation adjustment.bgl, if it exists, that is a bit more challenging.

Edited by medx421

7 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello.

Evidently that would work.

I think Ken has already said that he does not modify default files.

That does not leave that option open to him.

The option remains open to anyone willing to go down that path for themselves.

Okay, partially fair, but at @Ken Hall's discretion, he could make a compatibility version with the BVU identifier if he chose.  The consumer base and need supports it.

38 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

The option remains open to anyone willing to go down that path for themselves.

Hi Nick,

I have already made the two necessary files for FSAD users, and this seems to be working perfectly for me.  Let me know if I can post them here, send them to you to check with Ken, or whatever you'd prefer.  I won't distribute anything without permission.

Thanks!

sg

• Like 1

I installed 61B and was pleased to fly in and find all was well. I’d previously moved the fsAerodata entries in the scenery config file below all Orbx/FTX entries to resolve issues at other airports. As a test I moved the first FSAD entry (FSAD_Comms) above 61B and immediately got elevation issues and duplicate runways.

My aircraft with the RXP GTN 750 and that use their own data such as the MilViz KA350i deny the existence of 61B but list KBVU. Aircraft that use data from P3D show both 61B and KBVU but don’t list any approaches for 61B. I’m not sure what will happen on the next Navigraph/fsAerodata update but for now I’m happy to navigate to KBVU regardless of what Orbx calls it. 

FYI, that’s the Southern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery bordering the east side of the airport. My father in-law is buried there. Thank you Orbx team for rendering it in such detail. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 5:49 AM, medx421 said:

I don't know.  If v5 updates the ICAO's to current, then Boulder City is going to be BVU by default which is the crux of this issue.  I plan on buying this product, but am a day or so out before I can get to sit down at my computer.  If it's still problematic, I'll try and help with a fix, as I have some experience with this thorn.

all good in V5 now, one tiny mod I'm going to apply which will be an update tomorrow

cheers

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Ken Hall said:

all good in V5 now, one tiny mod I'm going to apply which will be an update tomorrow

cheers

Thanks Ken for your hard work.  Looking forward to giving it a go.  I'm just assuming it will work on v4 with updated navdata as well.