TrueEarth Florida HD - Miami Cityscape Video

Testing performance with Orbx True Earth US Florida, Miami City Scape. All settings max apart from reflections and shadows, Textures max (uncompressed) I am getting steady performance and smooth through out.

This is from a beta build and there may changes in the final release.

I have one suggestion for Orbx...you will NEVER see any beach surrounding Florida, with NO PEOPLE!   No beach umbrellas...nothing but desolate, empty sand.  That is not Florida!

So, my suggestion, is in the final release, that you add static people and sun bathers,  people walking near the water's edge,  that sort of thing. That will really bring immersion up.

Florida's beaches begs for people upon them.  This is a vacation state destination....let it show it, in the Florida T.E.

4 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

I have one suggestion for Orbx...you will NEVER see any beach surrounding Florida, with NO PEOPLE!   No beach umbrellas...nothing but desolate, empty sand.  That is not Florida!

So, my suggestion, is in the final release, that you add static people and sun bathers,  people walking near the water's edge,  that sort of thing. That will really bring immersion up.

Florida's beaches begs for people upon them.  This is a vacation state destination....let it show it, in the Florida T.E.

Lol you want frame rates of single digits and a price tag doubled?  That would be my suspicion if the resources was put into people flow in general scenery...

3 hours ago, John Dow said:

Lol you want frame rates of single digits and a price tag doubled?  That would be my suspicion if the resources was put into people flow in general scenery...

Not people flow tech....I did say STATIC...non moving/non animated, as art assets within the scenery, ---> people in swimwear,  casuals, depicted on the beaches, walking as couples,  people depicted laying in beach chairs,  on towels upon the sand. There would be no FPS hit of any kind. :)

22 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

Not people flow tech....I did say STATIC...non moving/non animated, as art assets within the scenery, ---> people in swimwear,  casuals, depicted on the beaches, walking as couples,  people depicted laying in beach chairs,  on towels upon the sand. There would be no FPS hit of any kind. :)

You're still going to get an fps hit...

• Ben McClintock changed the title to TrueEarth Florida HD - Miami Cityscape Video
On 1/13/2020 at 6:18 AM, John Dow said:

You're still going to get an fps hit...

Er...why?  They would be very small art assets...nothing that uses animation sub-routines.   So, instead of a 3 x 3 square patch of beach sand..there would be people art figures/assets...in 'expressions' of movement, like one leg outstretched in front of the torso...stuff like that. Art assets sitting in chairs,  sitting on a beach towel, upon the 'sand'   How would that drop FPS?  Look at KORS...STATIC (non moving) people art assets all over the airport.   No FPS hits there...

On 1/12/2020 at 12:51 AM, Orbx Flyer said:

Since I am a scenery developer who has experience placing people, chairs, umbrellas and other objects etc. on terrain to create scenery,  I will try to explain what my assessment might be of the practicality of implementing your suggestion.   

Though I do development in P3Dv4,  I believe that the principle challenges I am about to outline would generally hold true for XP11 as well as P3D.   Let me start by saying that the drag on a sim rendering engine is very different when drawing something like ortho scenery (e.g.sand on a beach) vs. drawing a 3D object (e.g. a person or a beach chair).  The ortho image is not 3D but instead, is just a 2D picture draped over the mesh based elevations.   On the other hand, a 3D object is created by drawing many points that connect lines that create polys that are then shaded/colored and so on.   When you put an object on the beach it sits on the sand (does not replace it).   And, more importantly,  all those points/polys for each object become the main drain on a sim rendering engine.   Bottom line, every object added means that the many polys that make up that object have to be drawn by the rendering engine.  A single low detail 3d person could have hundreds of polys.   

Let's say in 200 feet of beach you might want an average of 10 objects each (several people, a few chairs, volleyball net, beach towels etc,) with a 100 polys per object (and that is probably an unrealistically low number of polys).  That generates 1000 polys per 200 feet of beach.   P3D usually renders objects and/or feels the impact of objects up to a 30 mile radius circle from  the user's location.  In this case, we will look at the 60 miles of Florida's 663 miles of beaches that fall within that 30 mile radius at a given moment.  So we are talking about 316,800 feet of beach (60 miles X 5,280 feet per mile) to be possibly rendered at any one time.   So the average number of polys that may very well need to be drawn or readied to be drawn to cover these little beach objects is about 1.5 million polys at any one moment.  So, my first assessment is that It is a virtual certainty that an extra 1.5 million polys being rendered as one flies along the Florida coast woud impact frames per second regardless of what system someone is using.  However, there are additional issues besides the frame rate impact to be considered.

There would be significant developer hours required to create a few hundred unique objects so things would not look too repetitive as well as the hours to hand place about 175,000 objects along those 663 miles of beaches.   Object Flow would also have to be brought in to play so that the beaches are deserted at night and maybe a bit sparse in the mornings and late afternoons.

Bottom line, when it is suggested that beach objects be added to Florida's beaches since they are never deserted during the day, it sounds simple when you think of the several hundred feet of beach one might see out there resort hotel window.  However, as a scenery developer, I would not hesitate to say that  it would be a big deal to implement that type of improvement when applied to the entire State of Florida.

Rod

13 hours ago, stiletto2 said:

Since I am a scenery developer who has experience placing people, chairs, umbrellas and other objects etc. on terrain to create scenery,  I will try to explain what my assessment might be of the practicality of implementing your suggestion.   

Though I do development in P3Dv4,  I believe that the principle challenges I am about to outline would generally hold true for XP11 as well as P3D.   Let me start by saying that the drag on a sim rendering engine is very different when drawing something like ortho scenery (e.g.sand on a beach) vs. drawing a 3D object (e.g. a person or a beach chair).  The ortho image is not 3D but instead, is just a 2D picture draped over the mesh based elevations.   On the other hand, a 3D object is created by drawing many points that connect lines that create polys that are then shaded/colored and so on.   When you put an object on the beach it sits on the sand (does not replace it).   And, more importantly,  all those points/polys for each object become the main drain on a sim rendering engine.   Bottom line, every object added means that the many polys that make up that object have to be drawn by the rendering engine.  A single low detail 3d person could have hundreds of polys.   

Let's say in 200 feet of beach you might want an average of 10 objects each (several people, a few chairs, volleyball net, beach towels etc,) with a 100 polys per object (and that is probably an unrealistically low number of polys).  That generates 1000 polys per 200 feet of beach.   P3D usually renders objects and/or feels the impact of objects up to a 30 mile radius circle from  the user's location.  In this case, we will look at the 60 miles of Florida's 663 miles of beaches that fall within that 30 mile radius at a given moment.  So we are talking about 316,800 feet of beach (60 miles X 5,280 feet per mile) to be possibly rendered at any one time.   So the average number of polys that may very well need to be drawn or readied to be drawn to cover these little beach objects is about 1.5 million polys at any one moment.  So, my first assessment is that It is a virtual certainty that an extra 1.5 million polys being rendered as one flies along the Florida coast woud impact frames per second regardless of what system someone is using.  However, there are additional issues besides the frame rate impact to be considered.

There would be significant developer hours required to create a few hundred unique objects so things would not look too repetitive as well as the hours to hand place about 175,000 objects along those 663 miles of beaches.   Object Flow would also have to be brought in to play so that the beaches are deserted at night and maybe a bit sparse in the mornings and late afternoons.

Bottom line, when it is suggested that beach objects be added to Florida's beaches since they are never deserted during the day, it sounds simple when you think of the several hundred feet of beach one might see out there resort hotel window.  However, as a scenery developer, I would not hesitate to say that  it would be a big deal to implement that type of improvement when applied to the entire State of Florida.

Rod

Thanks Rod for that.  I now understand that it would not be 'so simple to add' that I would like it to be....ok...so noted!   Bummer...lol...but noted!

Archived