NZ Warbirds C-47 ZK-DAK (PBR)

Adam Banks

At first, I couldn't see a huge difference between the old Manfred Jahn C-47 v3 and the new PBR version - but after a fair bit of tweaking to the textures I've found it really is a big improvement.

ZK-DAK is one of my all-time favourites in Real Life and it's a pleasure to have it available in a sim! Here it is on a test flight from Ardmore (NZAR) to Whangarei (NZWR) - both in the ORBX NZNI area.

01-ZK-DAK-PBR-NZWR-1350.jpg?dl=1

Here's Jack showing us that you *can* loop a DC-3!

02-ZK-DAK-PBR-NZWR-1350.jpg?dl=1

03-ZK-DAK-PBR-NZWR-1350.jpg?dl=1

04-ZK-DAK-PBR-NZWR1350.jpg?dl=1

05-ZK-DAK-PBR-NZWR-1350.jpg?dl=1

06-ZK-DAK-PBR-NZWR-1350.jpg?dl=1

If anyone wants this livery, it's here:
https://www.nzfsim.org/liveries-repaints/military/
https://www.nzfsim.org/?post_type=sdm_downloads&p=2770&preview=true

Note - you'll need the PBR model of the MJ C-47 from Sim-Outhouse.

Adam.

43 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent Adam, yeah, I loved the loop shot.  But what is ZK-DAK?  A NZ registration? This plane shows a US registration doesn't it? :blink:

NZ3546 is the old 42 Sqdn RNZAF serial number. As it's no longer in service with the Air Force, it has to fly under a civilian rego - hence the ZK-DAK. However - as a historic aircraft, it's allowed to not have to display the civilian serial.

It's a beautiful old aircraft - and sounds absolutely wonderful. I had a trip in it (with BobL) a few years ago, from NZAR to Ohakea (NZOH). What a treat!

I spent my early childhood in Leeds (Yorkshire) and most of the planes I heard in those days from Yeadon Airport (now Leeds-Bradford) were DC-3s, so that sound instantly takes me back to my youth!

Adam.

Thanks for the comments, Jan (keep up the good work!!!) .

16 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

NZ3546 is the old 42 Sqdn RNZAF serial number. As it's no longer in service with the Air Force, it has to fly under a civilian rego - hence the ZK-DAK. However - as a historic aircraft, it's allowed to not have to display the civilian serial.

It's a beautiful old aircraft - and sounds absolutely wonderful. I had a trip in it (with BobL) a few years ago, from NZAR to Ohakea (NZOH). What a treat!

I spent my early childhood in Leeds (Yorkshire) and most of the planes I heard in those days from Yeadon Airport (now Leeds-Bradford) were DC-3s, so that sound instantly takes me back to my youth!

Adam.

Thanks for the comments, Jan (keep up the good work!!!) .

Our younger lives are so different Adam, you of older and refined aircraft, me of the most modern of jets.

Archived