Pilot Error - Nearly !!

John Heaton

I'm still with the NZ regressive flight log from the 70s and Orbx NZ - N and S - on 

a trip from Auckland to Wellington - Spring '78 - down the middle of North Island.

On the route of the actual flight was  - as shown in the shots - some of the NZ volcanoes.

and yours truly got so involved with the magnificent views - I forgot that I should have switched tanks earlier

Yes you guessed it - cough- cough  - and the fan stopped right over Mount Ruapehu - the highest of the active volcanoes

The last picture was nearly my last view of the earth at 11000  feet:o - but thanks to good training - I'm still here

Annotation 2019-12-08 171903.jpg

Annotation 2019-12-08 172749.jpg

Annotation 2019-12-08 173025.jpg

Annotation 2019-12-08 173251.jpg

Beautiful views of the volcanos John.

No problems if you hadn't managed to get the engine going as you could have stepped out onto the mountain!:o

An interesting story though and there was a pilot who did a wheels up landing in his twin not too long ago...…... on his mobile of course!:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the comments!

@ jack Sawyer

You got that right - people are missing -and that Volcano hasn't erupted since 2001.

Our friend  - VH-KDK - was very lucky the other day - taking off from Gisborne - 

they had a big Earthquake at the same time :huh:

The nickname for NZ around here is - "The shaky Iles"

1 hour ago, John Heaton said:

Thanks everyone for the comments!

@ jack Sawyer

You got that right - people are missing -and that Volcano hasn't erupted since 2001.

Our friend  - VH-KDK - was very lucky the other day - taking off from Gisborne - 

they had a big Earthquake at the same time :huh:

The nickname for NZ around here is - "The shaky Iles"

:(

Archived