XP11: TE GB vs WA/OR quality

Dawid Rbkw

I'm thinking of buying another TE region since there's a sale going on, but I'm a little confused by the new SD/HD versions and what I can expect in comparison to the GB South I already have. 

I finally managed to find the optimal settings and tweak the graphics with a plugin called Advanced Rendering Options. It's not perfect and I still think the colors of some of the fields in some of the areas of GB South are unnatural, but it now looks better than ever before for me. I am generally not too impressed with the sharpness of the textures either (High texture resolution in the options, can't go any higher with my GTX 1060 6 Gb), but it looks pretty good higher up. 

With that said, what can I expect from the other TE products ? Are the other two TE GB products any better regarding texture sharpness and/or colors ? How do the new American SD/HD sceneries compare to TE GB in terms of texture quality and colors but also FPS ? 

Get the SD - you can always update to HD later for like 10 bucks.

First you will save tons of space when in SD and above 2000 Feet, it all looks good.  Honestly, SD looks fine to me even below 2000 Feet.

I am just flat out blown away on how XP-11 renders all of this.  This is OMG scenery for me.  I can not believe we have come this far in flight simulation.

Thank you Orbx Team!!!

Hi Dawid - welcome

If you are using TE South then you are probably be  using PR3D - so you are using HD.

I use a 1050TI 6GB very similar to yours - and I got good quality with TE South - and had the same thoughts 

on resolution and colour as you - and found it distracting going from the South into the North. 

All that will change of course - in the next week or so when the new PD3R versions are released - and which I will be adding to my PR3D

sim - to make a comparison with the following.

A few weeks ago when the new versions seemed so far away - I bit the bullet and got XP11 and the full TE Britain Package

and with similar settings to the ones used previously - I find that the performance is as good - and mostly better - if the 

number of structures are turned up to max - no reflections and minimal traffic etc.- and this is HD version.

The screenshots are XP 11 TE Britain - Central and are of Morcambe and Blackpool in Lancashire - suggest a Zoom look!!

Unfortunately with XP 11 - I cannot use the full potential of  4K for example - or HDR - but general Flying is quite good - and 
I bought 4 vFlyte old types of A/c for pure VR flying. I also installed a 2TB HDD 7500 rpm and have all of the software of the one HD

I won't comment on HD vs SD - because there is ample description on the forum - but I have seen a good explanation in Orbx Central

Annotation 2019-10-23 165647.jpg

Annotation 2019-12-01 142436.jpg

I can run TEGB in XP at full sliders in both 4K *and* 8K with performance never below 28fps (see my specs below).

The TEGB series for P3D are in final testing now with a release planned late next week, so you will be able to fully compare performance in both sims. This includes a V2 of TEGB South which is a free upgrade for existing customers.

4 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

@John Heaton "Unfortunately with XP 11 - I cannot use the full potential of  4K for example - or HDR - but general Flying is quite good "

Hi John. Would you clarify what you mean about not being able to use the full 4K potential in XP? I am curious.

Hi Jon - we are pinching someone else's thread - but you are one of the bosses - so maybe you can switch this to your own thread somewhere else

It's because of the help you gave me just after I started with XP 11 - and also because of Orbx that I am still using theXP11 sim

My conclusion then was PR3D does it slightly better - and is one of the reasons when  we discussed that I was getting a better pic on TE South - than TE Britain South in XP - but I don't know how PR3D are upscaling the pictures.

I will try to answer - but I have been warned off before for promoting my opinion on this developer subject of resolution - but since you are

obviously an interested party in all that is XP11 team membership - here goes - fingers crossed!!!

In a nut shell - XP 11 sim does not use a pure 4K HDR base - for its graphics - its 1K - some might call it 2K. - up scaled - or pixel expansion

- and HDR - High Dynamic resolution- is a specific method multi threading more than 3  differently exposed frames of the same RGB shot

Rather than me getting into anymore trouble on this forum - I did my best to explain my technical appreciation of what I see - or don't see in XP

by my suggesting - that you perhaps try follow what I said in in the forum XP11 section - where in I queried what Renault was saying at the time - especially as he wasn't using a 4K monitor - but a software approach  - (DSR) - to obtain his 4K on his HD monitor.

My second screenshot is a visual explanation of "Upscaling"

On 12/13/2019 at 10:18 AM, John Venema said:

This includes a V2 of TEGB South which is a free upgrade for existing customers.

Hi John,

There's scarce info on the TEGB for P3D update, so sorry for hijacking the thread, but... Do you know if the V2 is also going to include compatibility fixes for the existing payware airports? There are some unresolved issues, especially with EGHA (a ditch that doesn't get resolved using the old way, i.e. by removing the elevation file) and EGKA/EGTH (problems with exclusions that cause some underlying region buildings to either display above or be suppressed by the buildings included in the airport add-ons)...

Regards,

Tym

Archived