Keep all purchased scenery installed?

oldsailer2

I'm interested in hearing how others manage their ORBX scenery install/uninstall.  Is is a best choice to just install a scenery from FTX-Central when you know your going to use it... or better to keep all purchased scenery installed and readily available all the time?  Why do I ask... it's because I spend a lot of my flight sim available time waiting for  my sim (fsx-steam) to load up and I'm thinking maybe it's because I keep to much installed even if not used on that particular occasion.  My computer is fairly new and has nothing much else in it other than simulator and related stuff like aircraft and scenery.  There is also a place in fsx during startup with a long list of scenery boxes for checking or un-checking... I do not know what to do with these choices either, maybe some should be unchecked for example I never fly outside of the USA so maybe I'm waiting for the rest of the world scenery to load and maybe that's contributing to slow startups.  Please share info these subjects... Thanks

Gary

There would be no advantage to uninstalling from your computer and redownloading.  In the series of check boxes in the scenery library it would save a few seconds to uncheck some of areas where you are not flying but not much more than that.  What FSX is doing when it loads is load pointers to the scenery and not the scenery itself.  The actual scenery and weather loads when you ask it to load a specific flight.  Generally for me its not worth the effort of changing it all the time and remembering what I have done.  I have a mid to low range machine and it usually loads in about a minute and a half, just enough time for me to go and take a leak before I sit down to fly.  When I ask it to load a flight it generally takes about a minute.  If you have a new machine that's relatively fast it ought to load FSX faster than a minute and a half.

Hello Gary,

the best way is to use a scenery manager.

There are two very good freeware ones and for FSX, the ideal choice would be the Scenery Config Editor.

I have used it for years and if used to create and save scenery.cfg files for each of the types of flight that

you make, can save long minutes of loading time and indeed prolong the time before which you run out of VAS.

The site that I have linked contains everything you need to achieve this but you will have to spend some time

learning a bit more about how your simulator works before you can make the best use of it.

Good question, currently I have everything installed and not having any issues, however with x-plane, all my aircraft and Orbx scenery I'm not at 1.12TB. My current drive is 2 TB, but can't see me uninstalling files, so will probably just buy a 4TB drive when the time comes. Going to have a look at Nick's suggestion above to see if that is something I would use.    edit, ah, perhaps not as it's for fsx

Archived