Nvidia DSR - a second look

renault

This is a bit of an eclectic collection of a few random screenshots during testing of Nvidia's DSR option.

One of the issues I have always had with XPlane it seems is that I have never been happy with their implementation of antialiasing.

Using DSR at 4K means that I don't use any AA settings resulting in over a 40% reduction in the load on my GPU (measured using MSI Afterburner)

As always thanks for stopping by . It is always appreciated.

I would also like to acknowledge my appreciation to Craigeaglefire and OlderNdirt for their assistance and encouragement during this little experiment 

Cheers

Renault

bvga88d.jpg

xtlpZcA.jpg

3OHaDpe.jpg

drSoWgw.jpg

EM3gt8i.jpg

PUcWt8M.jpg

SZAb3bk.jpg

nmcFoAe.jpg

Z2r6QaA.jpg

RJYdEjK.jpg

e5EKKqt.jpg

KKlZ3Zt.jpg

TDIDHeU.jpg

OtASjeJ.jpg

These shots are great, I use the DSR setting with AA and my shots don't even come close to looking this good. Maybe a temporary switch of Vizio's from the bedroom to the office to see how 4K looks with my 1050 Ti. I know it supports 4K at 30FPS. At a 40% reduction do you get both quality and performance? I will be using P3Dv4.5.

5 hours ago, lifejogger said:

These shots look great!!!!!!!!!  I personally cannot see how you could improve on them.

Thanks John. Appreciate you commenting

Cheers

2 hours ago, adambar said:

Awesome looking shots Renault! :)

Thanks Adam

Cheers

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice shots.

Thanks very much Jack

Cheers

1 hour ago, M110A2 said:

These shots are great, I use the DSR setting with AA and my shots don't even come close to looking this good. Maybe a temporary switch of Vizio's from the bedroom to the office to see how 4K looks with my 1050 Ti. I know it supports 4K at 30FPS. At a 40% reduction do you get both quality and performance? I will be using P3Dv4.5.

Thank you.

Sorry, I can't comment on P3D as I don't have it. These were all with XPlane

I had been using 1080p with FXAA + 8xSS which is quite a performance hog and resulted in an average GPU utilization of between 70-85% in most areas. Image quality was good, but I didn't like pushing my gpu that hard

When I switched to DSR at 4 K and turned off AA since it wasn't needed at that resolution ,my average gpu utilization dropped to around 40-45% in a series of saved flights that I used for comparison. Image quality and overall fidelity was much higher I felt using DSR. . In addition, average gpu temperature dropped about 10C and fan speed was lower 

I use adaptive vsync set to 1/2 my monitor refresh rate ,which gives me  30 fps regardless of where I fly and my frame rates didn't change (there was no change on the cpu temperature, clock speed or fan speed)  So perhaps the best answer I can give is that image quality improved with DSR , workload on my system (gpu) was reduced significantly  and there was no change in simulation performance which remained very smooth under all tested scenarios.

I should mention that using DSR at 4K is about the same workload on your gpu as running straight 4K to a dedicated 4K monitor. The new Turing architecture cards from Nvidia seem to do very well with the option, but when I had tried it in the past with older generation cards ,results were not as good, mainly due to the gpu's inability to handle the increased workload (framerates took a major reduction).

Cheers

R

Archived