New products and Orbx Central

Stewart Hobson

Might I make a suggestion?  When announcements are posted about new products, it would benefit the purchaser to know that the product must be installed with Orbx Central.  The exceptionally large number of questions regarding the inability to install a newly purchased product indicates that folks are unaware of this requirement and that they require a notice or reminder that this is indeed the case.  It is staggering that these questions continue to be asked when there seems to be an obvious solution to the issue.

8 minutes ago, John Venema said:

The answer is simple, everyone should be using Orbx Central which is why new products are not supported by the now superseded FTX Central 3.

Obviously, not everyone is using Orbx Central, even though it's been advised that they should and that FTX Central is no longer supported.   A simple reminder would prevent such questions from arising in the first place.  Ed's latest announcement, for example, could include a simple reminder that Orbx Central is needed in order to install the product.  As it is, Doug and Nick, whether they mind it or not, are constantly handling this type of inquiry.  They've got better things to do, it seems to me, than to be bothered with a triviality such as constantly advising that one needs Orbx Central to install the new product one has just purchased.  That's crazy.

1 hour ago, Stewart Hobson said:

A simple reminder would prevent such questions from arising in the first place.

Hello Stewart,

I am afraid that a simple reminder would make no difference at all.

Customers can read of the need for Orbx Central on every single page of the Orbx Direct site,

which they must visit to make their purchase, unless of course they are already using Orbx Central.

They can also read of that need on the product page of every product that requires it.

If they have FTX Central and are having trouble with it, they can visit the FTX Central Support forum

where the topmost pinned topic explains why they cannot install their new product with FTX Central

and what to do about that.

Having overlooked all of this, they can then post a support request and when

answered  by Doug or I, they can still remain skeptical

Add to this the myriad names given to the installers, such as FTX, Central 3, Central 4

Obyx, Orbx and so on, recognising that the name of the new installer is not

FTX Central but Orbx Central is not easy when a customer is not in fact aware that

the existing installer is named FTX Central in the first place.

We will continue to answer the question and link to my pinned topic and hopefully,

FTX Central will at some point be discontinued and the problem will go away with it.

It's what we are here for.

Thank you for your reply, Nick.  I hope this extended discussion might bring the issue to the forefront for those who haven't been paying attention, but for newbies to the site, it might still evade their notice.  It is what it is.  Thank you to you and Doug (and others) for persevering.

5 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jack.

Product updates are indicated by a yellow dot after the product name.

Thanks Nick, yes, I've seen it many times, I just wish there was a different way, like a notification here or on the Central icon on my PC's dock.  No big deal.

Hi all

I have a similar (but different) question

I just bought a new PC and will be shortly transferring my ORBX products to the new PC (I have all the regions and some airports)

As I bought the regions over the years I diligently also downloaded the zip type installers so that I could re install when required.

1/ Can I still use these with the new ORBX Central?

2/ Is there a better way to get all my working regions to the new computer?

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Best wishes

Bob

Archived