RAT in the Graian Alps, France

Hi all, our Duck RAT Beaver continues to explore, this time going into the French Graian Alps south of Geneva. We are taking a 60-mile flight from Chambery (LFLE) to Aosta (LIMW). Along the way, we will pass Mt. Blanc. The autumn colors are out, and it's a beautiful short flight.

[ORBX Global/Vector/EU LC. REX real weather. MilViz DHC2 Beaver. RAT repaint by TeD "TuFun" Wolfgang.]

Ready for takeoff at Chambery (LFLE). The whole area is covered in ORBX autumn colors. Beautiful!

bIIu2F5.jpg

Coming up from Chambery. Very pleasant views as we climb.

NFZyRM6.jpg

In order to get to our 79-degree heading, we have to climb around this mountain to the right. 

FUmZpVX.jpg

We are just about high enough to make a right turn over the mountain. Just about...

2nd77r0.jpg

Passing over the crest-ridge, we enter the Graian Alps scenery. Spectacular! ORBX-worthy.

ocBbyVp.jpg

We quickly learn that altitude is our friend. 9,000' clears most things--but not all. Keep your eyes peeled.

L3Lttjo.jpg

Mt. Blanc coming up on the left. Geneva is just a hop, skip, and wheeze west by northwest from here.

vGlWsJ9.jpg

Beautiful Mt. Blanc. Plenty to explore around her base.

Ldr9Ger.jpg

As we pass Mt. Blanc, the other mountains get nastier. More rock, lots of vertical surfaces, very uninviting if you are low on petrol.

SkPzxKM.jpg

A great place for goats and mountain sheep. Not so good for emergency landing places.

7xaEoV5.jpg

Remember that thing about altitude? Look ahead. How about adding another thousand feet now?

HBHwBrI.jpg

Once we clear this rocky ridge, we will see our destination valley.

Izgzlfv.jpg

And clear the ridge we did. Now we start descent for Aosta (LIMW) dead ahead.

t2g5Hqn.jpg

After those forbidding mountains, it's very reassuring to see all the green flat spots along the river. There are lots of landing spots here. Of course, we will aim for the airstrip. You can see it directly ahead.

c37yyGa.jpg

We had to skirt the hill-line to the left for a moment, but there's plenty of room to establish a straight-in approach.

x77G9lk.jpg

I'm singing an Alpine Song: Oh-de-lay. Oh-de-lah.

zmtjryq.jpg

Only one last-minute hitch -- Jack and Martyn scared me. They were trying to shoot the bridge to our right (made it too).

zKUCKET.jpg

Clearing the runway at Aosta.

udZ3Ios.jpg

Parked at Aosta. I went to see if my French would work with the folks in the background. It did not. They were Australians from ORBX. Couldn't understand a word they said.

tJDD5kH.jpg

Can't say enough about this ORBX scenery. There are numerous small airports tucked away in the high regions. Lots of lakes for float planes. Probably ski-flying in winter. Really, really nice and well worth exploration. Thanks for coming along!

2 hours ago, RodgerC said:

Very impressive Rodger!!!!   Great shots, and informative.  Now I'm gonna have to check it out for myself!!!!

I think you'll like it, RodgerC. It's a short flight with lots of variety along the way. Thanks for commenting.

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent Pete, especially the descent into the valley, liked them all.

Thanks, Jack. After all that rock, the valley looked pretty darned good.

11 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set Rodger.

cheers

Iain

Thank, Iain.

8 hours ago, oldboy43 said:

Thank you Roger, very nice shots.

cheers

Karoly

Glad you enjoyed them, Karoly.

5 hours ago, lifejogger said:

A super flight Rodger, great shots of the scenery!!!!!!!!!!

It's not hard to see why the Alps are Europe's favorite mountains. Beautiful year around

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Beautiful set of pictures Rodger, especially the autumn atmosphere.

Cheers Fred

Yes, Fred. Doesn't ORBX do a nice job with this "golden season"?

1 hour ago, Neptune6 said:

With Beaver from Haute Savoie to Aoste , i see the Mt Blanc but where is the Cervino  near Aoste ?? 

very very nice season in your sim .

Patrick

Hey, Patrick. I didn't go any farther than Aoste, so I missed Breuile Cervina and the Matterhorn. They are in Italy not too many miles north of the Aosta airstrip we used. Sure is a lot to see in that larger area!

1 hour ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

Looks really nice Rodger!  Well done!

Thanks, Triple J. It was an interesting trip into an area totally new to me.

Archived