First circuit around Compton Abbas- I'm lost thanks!

BobT

My first circuit at EGHA what a great little field but where the heck am I? lol The scenery is great but let's not forget where the field is located! How did aviators do it back in the day? Situational awareness is the hardest thing in a jigsaw landscape... I mean... imagine finding this field prior to GPS.... staring right at it at 12 o clock and still can't find it...wow! I love it!

L70ChNj.jpg

2LHpL39.jpg

ixhcjKb.jpg

k4DMkz2.jpg

TIcAO6p.jpg

S6FOQBA.jpg

fatJrzq.jpg

5kyOYCm.jpg

1 hour ago, Lucevan said:

That's how it is in the real world. It can be difficult to spot, especially approaching from the south.

Nice pictures.

Thanks! It seemed rather miraculous to spot it :0

59 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

You are not the first one to get lost here Bob, I have more times than I would like to remember.

Excellent views of this gem of an airport though.

Thanks Martyn keep those field call outs accurate and let's not run into each other the wrong way  :(

1 hour ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

Ha ha yes, first time I was trying this airport I went to do a circuit and got completely lost :-)

Hilarious, maybe we should run a survey! Everybody fess up!! cheers

Nice shots.....I remember when I was an air traffic controller at London Centre we were “plagued” by small light aircraft calling for a “Practice Pan’ on 121.5 the VHF Emergency frequency with a “simulating lost” request.  Of course we responded with their exact position and with a steer to the closest airfield too.  I remain absolutely convinced that 99% of these “simulating lost” calls were really lost!  

Kev

7 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Talking about 'the green green grass of home' - beautiful shots - interesting in #3 how much your tire tracks differ in direction from the nose :).

Thanks OND and those tracks are actually particle effect dust that was just blowin' with that nice 8 kt wind. A little too dramatic- the dust kept streaming off the tires till I got half way to base lol.

25 minutes ago, Dario said:

Wonderful shots, Bob! It's really easy to miss this airfield, it is so well integrated with TE! 

Thanks Dario....remember the old days when you could see every airport sticking out of the scenery from miles away....let's not go back there though haha

1 hour ago, Kev D said:

Nice shots.....I remember when I was an air traffic controller at London Centre we were “plagued” by small light aircraft calling for a “Practice Pan’ on 121.5 the VHF Emergency frequency with a “simulating lost” request.  Of course we responded with their exact position and with a steer to the closest airfield too.  I remain absolutely convinced that 99% of these “simulating lost” calls were really lost!  

Kev

thanks Kev...lol there is no doubt! Thanks for that great little tidbit. Cheers

Archived