Hope I’m in the right forum.

Dadtom65

Hi guys seeing as I have lost my computer room to my son who has come back to us. :(. I am now stuck in our conservatory and with normally fantastic weather it’s not so good for me. My comp is struggling with the heat. Plus seeing as I have just changed over my Flightsims , Xplane and P3Dv4 to their opposite hard drives, it’s been a bit hot. I have got a small fan down from the loft to try to cool the comp down a bit. The Cpu does have a big fan on and there are 3 fans in the case. Plus I cannot afford a water solution for the Cpu. Does anyone have any other ideas how to keep my comp cool please. Thanks Derek.

Running any 3D game including flightsims generates more heat than the computer usually does. My room is always  warmer that the rest of the house  :) ! It is worse if the CPU is overclocked and/or the box is small (bad air circulation) If you add  sunny weather and a greenhouse effect  in your case, be happy that your computer works without seizure.

If you don't want a water cooling solution, does your box have free "slots" for adding fans (physical locations on the box sides/forefront/rear and free sockets on the PSU  ? If so, thiey are generally inexpensive and easy to install  That would help.

If not, open the box lateral side and put the fan close. The bigger/ faster the fan, the better.   I don't see any other solution.

1 hour ago, dominique said:

Running any 3D game including flightsims generates more heat than the computer usually does. My room is always  warmer that the rest of the house  :) ! It is worse if the CPU is overclocked and/or the box is small (bad air circulation) If you add  sunny weather and a greenhouse effect  in your case, be happy that your computer works without seizure.

If you don't want a water cooling solution, does your box have free "slots" for adding fans (physical locations on the box sides/forefront/rear and free sockets on the PSU  ? If so, thiey are generally inexpensive and easy to install  That would help.

If not, open the box lateral side and put the fan close. The bigger/ faster the fan, the better.   I don't see any other solution.

+1. Take the sides off of the case and let the external fan blow air across the mobo. What are you using to measure the temps? It may not be running as hot as you think. My recommendation is  https://www.argusmonitor.com/en/index.php  but I'm sure someone else will come up with a freeware option..............Doug

1 hour ago, teecee said:

Move back in to your own room, and kick the lad into the conservatory..>:D. Terry.

Workable, if you have one of them conservatory digs.

I had a similar problem and simply took off everything covering the case that would come off...….sides, top etc.

Helped a lot.

Unless you're running some kind of light show for gamers, the aesthetics are not a problem. 

How high is the temperature of the CPU under normal running conditions? Most CPUs can run pretty hot without problems. If the temperature spikes sometimes into the 80s C that should still be fine. Even a rare spike into the low 90s C is tolerable. If you consistently hit 90 C, then I would get nervous. Since you have a Intel CPU it will just start to throttle when it gets over 100C.

But, I have never heard that the ambient room temperature can have such a large effect on the CPU. A few degrees, maybe up to 10C, but if it gets that high then you might have a different problem. The biggest issue I've had in the past was dust in the CPU cooler or the thermal paste between the cooler and the actual CPU

Hi guys I’m using the program Cam is it and was getting temps 84F plus now I’m using the fan with the side off and I was getting 24C so ok now or hope it is. Just finished tonight putting True Earth North with the Airports back on after changing hard drives and seems Ok. After reading some of your posts think I was worrying for nothing . Though Cam did say a couple of times that the Cpu had hit 100.  No light show for me Lawrence just the basics though my eldest likes to have flashy lights every where. Thanks guys for your help. Derek.

7 hours ago, teecee said:

Move back in to your own room, and kick the lad into the conservatory..>:D. Terry.

22 minutes ago, Dadtom65 said:

If it was just me teecee he would be but the boss would not like it. :lol:. Derek.

Or you report your trouble to both of them and let them pay your water cooled system. Which would help you all!

Do you use the fan that comes with the CPU? They are pretty loud and don't cool much. If so, consider this one, for example: https://www.alpenfoehn.de/en/products/cpu-cooler/matterhorn-pure. Often the stock CPU cooling fans don't get too much thermal paste between the heatsink and the cpu, which is another issue that further deteriorates their cooling abilities.

Hi guys, 

Here's another thought: take a very close look at the fan options in the BIOS if any.  Somewhat embarrassingly,  with my current Gigabyte MB I had been using more or less the default settings. After getting a new video card which generates more heat in the case I finally looked more closely at the options.  With my MB, each individual fan can be associated with  my choice of different temperature sensors. I found that both the case fans were associated with relatively low temperature MB components.  Switching them to use a CPU temp made a significant difference.

15 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Do you use the fan that comes with the CPU? They are pretty loud and don't cool much. If so, consider this one, for example: https://www.alpenfoehn.de/en/products/cpu-cooler/matterhorn-pure. Often the stock CPU cooling fans don't get too much thermal paste between the heatsink and the cpu, which is another issue that further deteriorates their cooling abilities.

That the solution I chose for my last built. I stuck an enormous Thermalright on the processor. Not overly expensive by the way.

Archived