EGNX - Horrible fps

Hello!

I am getting horrible FPS when looking at any building at EGNX. My fps drops from 60-70 down to 20-30 fps. My GPU usage goes up to 100%.

Here's a comparison between Orbx EGNX, default EGNX and Aerosoft EGCC:

WroA9Rx.png

gF5HRKQ.png

xiJ9w62.png

Well. I shouldn't get 1/3 of my normal fps just by looking at the parking lot. Everywhere else I look in the scenery, as long as the parking lot is not in view I get good fps. Unfortunately this makes the airport pretty much unusable for me since I get like 20 fps when coming in to land.

I fixed the issue. It has something to do with the lights in the parking lot. If I just remove the lines starting with "LIGHT_NAMED    amb_street_light3" from gslights1.obj and gslights2.obj and reload the scenery my fps is back to normal. 

I'm also experiencing very bad FPS when zooming in on parking lots (from mid 30's to single digits).  Removing the lines mentioned above by 07tir98 fixes the FPS issue (back to 40's) but then you get no lighting at night.  Please help.

• 1 month later...

I too can report very poor fps at this airport. So poor in fact that flying in VR is completely impossible. Ordinarily, using the default EGNX together with ORBX GB South and Central, I can achieve 40fps in VR flying either the stock Baron 58 or the Zibo 737. However, even for the less demanding Baron, frame rates drop as low as 10 on the ground and stuttering is excessive. It's a real puzzle because I also have ORBX EGHI installed and do not experience any problems flying from there. It's a real shame because the ORBX EGNX scenery looks impressive but I just can't use it. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. 

54 minutes ago, ttpad said:

I too can report very poor fps at this airport. So poor in fact that flying in VR is completely impossible. Ordinarily, using the default EGNX together with ORBX GB South and Central, I can achieve 40fps in VR flying either the stock Baron 58 or the Zibo 737. However, even for the less demanding Baron, frame rates drop as low as 10 on the ground and stuttering is excessive. It's a real puzzle because I also have ORBX EGHI installed and do not experience any problems flying from there. It's a real shame because the ORBX EGNX scenery looks impressive but I just can't use it. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. 

I don't have VR so i cannot comment regarding that aspect. I do have EGNX and TEGB South and my PC specs are in my signature. There are a couple of things you can try but it would be beneficial to get a few more details from you:

1. What are your PC specs.

2. What are your normal XP settings (please attach a pich like I have done)

3. Is EGNX a new purchase and you are just trying it and notice the FPS situation, or is the FPS situation a recent occurrence having had EGNX perom OK previously?

The initial thing you could try is to delete the contents of you Shadercache. You find that in XP11/Output. Delete the contents within that folder.

In that ame Output folder is a folder labelled as Preferences. Open that folder and find, normally right at the bottom, a text file call ed X-Plane.prf. Delete that.Restart X-Plane and go to Settings and the Graphics option and reset your normal graphics settings because deleting the x-plane .prf file will remove your graphics settings and set them to a default (much lower) setting.

Then see if there is any improvement at EGNX.

The other setting that may improve FPS slightly is to drop one notch to the left on Texture Quality if you currently have it set on Max no Compression or Max with Compression. Set it to High.

OOPS, forgot to add the pic! It shows my settings (non VR) and I am getting 38fps on the runway and very smooth in external view and panning around. I have a 4K monitor so my AA settings are not required to be any higher.

EGNX.thumb.JPG.8c69cb3e9e9aa1fbd4174ef6ced5efe2.JPG

Thank you for the feedback. I'm running a i9-9900K CPU at 3.60GHz in a ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E with 32Gb of RAM together with a GTX 1070 Ti graphics card. My X-Plane 11 graphics settings are identical to your own except that I have the Number of World Objects turned down a single notch to High. I've tried everything I know, including your own suggestions, to improve frame rate and although like you I can obtain high 30s fps in screen mode, as soon as I switch to VR the fps plummets to below 10. Completely unusable at this level. I do also own EGNX by UK2000 and with this I have no problem holding 40 fps in VR mode. Even together with WT3 and ASXP. I think the graphics demands of EGNX from ORBX are just far too severe for most (if not all) systems in VR.

2 hours ago, [Knight] said:

Is there going to be a fix for this?????

I just loaded up EGNX and started a flight with igh settings and there was definitely stuttering over the carparks.  So I reduced the settings to what's in my screenshot below and in the C172 I get smooth fps right around the circuit, even did a low level orbit around the carparks, and still smooth. 

Flightsimming is by its very nature a constant battle between scenery pushing the hardware, and finding compromises in settings that match expectations of performance with the hardware's ability to deliver.  For my system, these settings meet both requirements.  If your hardware is more up to date than mine you should be able to have a notch higher on the sliders.

Note also I have shadows disabled, that can make or break a scenery's smoothness.

EGNX-XP1.thumb.jpg.0bd4cda197bb18ca981ba2ec3c6baee3.jpg

Sorry to say, but the lights are the cause of the problem , they are on 24/7 Day and Night, and cause horrible FPS when looking at the area. Saying that it is hardware related is just a cop-out and is not a way fix it. It is not just one person complaining about this problem but seems to be a few here, and the one guy literally removed the lights from the folder itself and fixed the problem. I don't want to be that guy but, as a paying customer I'm entitled to this. This needs fixed ASAP, this whole airport is unusable. I have a 8700k @5ghz w/ a 32gb 3000mhz and a 1080 ti and get 10-15 FPS here. I kinda feel that I've been taken for a ride. PLEASE FIX THIS!! @John Dow I know your trying to help but hardware is not the issue.

7 hours ago, [Knight] said:

Sorry to say, but the lights are the cause of the problem , they are on 24/7 Day and Night, and cause horrible FPS when looking at the area. Saying that it is hardware related is just a cop-out and is not a way fix it. It is not just one person complaining about this problem but seems to be a few here, and the one guy literally removed the lights from the folder itself and fixed the problem. I don't want to be that guy but, as a paying customer I'm entitled to this. This needs fixed ASAP, this whole airport is unusable. I have a 8700k @5ghz w/ a 32gb 3000mhz and a 1080 ti and get 10-15 FPS here. I kinda feel that I've been taken for a ride. PLEASE FIX THIS!! @John Dow I know your trying to help but hardware is not the issue.

What are your XP settings? I ask because I have EGNX installed with PC specs as shown in my signature, and inferior to yours by some margin. I get fps in the 30's. I am only chiming in here to offer some assistance and to show you via pics that it may be something additional causing poor fps. There are 4 complaints that I can see reporting poor fps rates. It could be something clashing in your Custom Scenery so if you want I can take a look at your scenery_packs.ini and make sure that it is all in order?

The pics I attach have the fps shown via FRAPS in the bottom right corner. I also attach a pic of my XP settings. Note that i have a 4K monitor so I don't need higher AA settings. A big fps killer is Texture Quality and there is very, very little difference between High and Max. I also used a payware Carenado Phenom plane which is more sophisticated and demanding of resources than a default plane.

In order to measure what is causing poor fps we need to also measure apples to apples. What plane are you flying? Do you have a 3rd party weather programme running, have you got AI traffic running  like the inbuilt XP AI or WT3/X-Life, running any additional plugins?

1.thumb.JPG.78845f4c643a842a8d0f84124c2cf496.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.6f22ceef6fd01996a1ba495b7c95a4d1.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.b0e3b4157d41fa12c5669b7ed850b020.JPG

1 hour ago, Jon Clarke said:

What are your XP settings? I ask because I have EGNX installed with PC specs as shown in my signature, and inferior to yours by some margin. I get fps in the 30's. I am only chiming in here to offer some assistance and to show you via pics that it may be something additional causing poor fps. There are 4 complaints that I can see reporting poor fps rates. It could be something clashing in your Custom Scenery so if you want I can take a look at your scenery_packs.ini and make sure that it is all in order?

The pics I attach have the fps shown via FRAPS in the bottom right corner. I also attach a pic of my XP settings. Note that i have a 4K monitor so I don't need higher AA settings. A big fps killer is Texture Quality and there is very, very little difference between High and Max. I also used a payware Carenado Phenom plane which is more sophisticated and demanding of resources than a default plane.

In order to measure what is causing poor fps we need to also measure apples to apples. What plane are you flying? Do you have a 3rd party weather programme running, have you got AI traffic running  like the inbuilt XP AI or WT3/X-Life, running any additional plugins?

1.thumb.JPG.78845f4c643a842a8d0f84124c2cf496.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.6f22ceef6fd01996a1ba495b7c95a4d1.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.b0e3b4157d41fa12c5669b7ed850b020.JPG

I posted some pic in the default cessna and as you see the lights are on during the day and the area is washed out super bright and the fps hit is crazy. I don't have any traffic programs. 

Cessna_172SP - 2019-09-02 03.42.05.png

Cessna_172SP - 2019-09-02 03.42.29.png

Cessna_172SP - 2019-09-02 03.43.12.png

Knight, you may check your .ini, as it shows multiple wrong layer positions like mesh, photoreal, overlay. (Besides, there are incompatible sceneries active, e.g. TE WA and DD Seattle airports.)

I'd propose utilities like xOrganizer, this will help to rearrange your many entries to the desired order. Hope that might help to some degree.

Kind regards,

Fritz

@ttpad: X-Plane doesn't really need 5.x GHz, however you mention your 9900K is at basic 3.6 GHz, which is (too) low for VR indeed. ASUS's bios offers automatic overclocking; my 9600K (3.7 GHz) does 5.0 to 5.2 GHz when demanded - without heat problem.  

Kind regards,

Fritz

You seem happy enough with the layering of your scenery_packs.ini so I will not review it. 

Your problem with FPS is subjective as I have proven to you that EGNX works fine in my lower spec PC, and in fact my XP settings of World Objects (resource hungry) is higher. Your AA settings are a higher than mine. Not much else I can do I'm afraid. The product works fine.

I don't know if @Nick Cooper or @Greg Jones can add anything to the topic?

AGAIN, the problem is the lights. The Product does not work fine. Obviously 15 fps is the new standard for you for the PC master race. I get 30+ in london city but yet an airfield in the middle of a field i get 15. I don't know how many times I have to say its the lights, like I said in an earlier post.  You might run this fine but I as well as others are sharing a similar problem, that you are not. So instead of dismissing the problem because your system can run this flawlessly, this should be brought up the chain. 

Thinking that it might be the light spill causing the problem and to settle my curious mind I did a comparison,  two screen shots with the light spill OFF and two with the light spill ON during the day. Both sets of shots taken at 1652 local time EGNX.

On one set of parking lot shots - difference 1 FPS

On the other set pf parking lot shots - difference 5 FPS

Legacy - 2019-09-02 07.25.51-OFF.jpg

Legacy - 2019-09-02 7.12.38 AM-ON.jpg

Legacy - 2019-09-02 07.26.36 - OFF.jpg

Legacy - 2019-09-02 7.14.20 AM-ON.jpg

Ok, I think I found the culprit. For those of you that use Xvision, I used Reallife V8 witch did some modification to the lights. I reverted to the default lights that are provided w/ the preset. That seem to fix the problem. I am now getting 50 FPS in the Zibo on my setting posted above. I want to apologize about the way i handled this but this was the only airport that had this problem and I singled it out. So until next time I need to raise he** ill stay in my layer. Thanks to everyone wanted to help though, great community.

Thanks

UPDATE: The lights themselves are not the problem, the real magic happens within the light.txt file. If anyone needs the default I will upload it. Remember to backup your current files.  X-Plane 11\Resources\bitmaps\world\lites

338661197_b738_RG-2019-09-0219_11_31.thumb.png.8e304f391b2321d8e5d4d7ad033b20f9.png

lights.txt

Archived