The Great Buildings HD World Testing Tour

So I bought Buildings HD yesterday and did a little tour around some of the world's cities to see what I bought. When I understood the advertisement correctly, I can expect new textures and partially new polys on all or most of the autogen buildings in the vast majority of places around the world, the exception being mainly Germany North & South and CityScene/CityScape products.

How did I test?

- P3D v4.4

- all Autogen sliders to "Very High", i. e., the second to last slider position to the right

- texture resolution 4K

- my own PTA preset

- "Fair weather" theme

- Default Beechcraft Bonanza roughly 1000' - 2000' AGL

What did I test?

- Orbx Global Base Areas, where the landclass is provided by Cloud9's age old XClass landclass product

- Orbx OpenLC EU, NA and SA areas

- Orbx regions NZNI, AUv2 and PNW

What did I not test?

- Night Lighting

- Orbx CityScenes

- Orbx True Earth products as I don't own these

- Orbx GEN&S

- 3rd party sceneries

Let's start our tour in the area sometimes called Oceania:

Auckland, NZ (Orbx NZNI)

mPDEvuJ.jpg

nvGkYIh.jpg

Perth, WA (Orbx AUv2)

AsnX3is.jpg

2Wg7oEa.jpg

HgylL2A.jpg

Moving on to Asia:

Tokyo, Japan (Global Base, LC by Cloud9 XClass)

KUxuqvr.jpg

LoVThZH.jpg

UHg5ODY.jpg

Delhi, India (Global Base, LC by Cloud9 XClass)

NZcKkOp.jpg

RNiFcpC.jpg

Europe:

Moscow, Russian Federation (Orbx OLC EU)

D8ta5fc.jpg

O0PyPQa.jpg

Birmingham, UK (Orbx OLC EU)

o8TpYDf.jpg

Te3balo.jpg

OWWBUzu.jpg

Florence, Italy (Orbx OLC EU)

PObiVbp.jpg

HSJ2mrD.jpg

VzMs4Cs.jpg

Africa:

Cairo, Egypt (Global Base, LC by Cloud9 XClass)

2SAKCPB.jpg

xRJFbie.jpg

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (Global Base, LC by Cloud9 XClass)

9CvQkP0.jpg

Harare, Zimbabwe (Global Base, LC by Cloud9 XClass)

dK95UHk.jpg

g4mdVat.jpg

cGNAsF7.jpg

LYINCrU.jpg

North America:

Vancouver, BC (Orbx PNW)

ke4xusq.jpg

q0fE8io.jpg

05W5dg0.jpg

New Orleans, LA (Orbx OLC NA)

EaujSEX.jpg

PKuWzG6.jpg

FiA1PKq.jpg

Last but not least, South America:

Buenos Aires, Argentina (Orbx OLC SA)

wakotV4.jpg

j5jyo7v.jpg

BumZRud.jpg

0fzlG8H.jpg

Lima, Peru (Orbx OLC SA)

gvkZeZO.jpg

99afpF8.jpg

zyUnXZA.jpg

Sao Paulo, Brazil (Orbx OLC SA)

AiMNsFC.jpg

j3DYijm.jpg

CqOutmw.jpg

So, what are the results of my testing? First of all, the framerate is not lower, but just the same, maybe even a tad higher. It made no difference to my sim experience when I switched between 2K and 4K texture resolution, neither in frames nor appearance. There is definitely a subtle overall difference in the look of the cities which adds quite a bit (quite a lot, actually) to the realism of the scenery. Also, cities on the world's continents look more differently now. However, they don't look completely different. There's still that one appartment building that you'll find all over the world. Africa could look a bit more chaotic and dirty, whereas in Tokyo I missed the flashy signs. I have never been to Africa nor to Tokyo, though - we all have different images in our heads that are influenced by media and cultural influences.

If Orbx people read this and think that the 3rd party LC could have a negative effect on which types of buildings are shown to me in Africa and Asia, please tell me and I'll be testing Africa and Asia again, but with the 3rd party LC switched off. Anyhow, I hope you find some use in this post.

Cheers

Lars

Hi Lars,

Wow, what a tour!  I’m glad to hear you’re overall enjoying the new textures!

If you take a closer look at the buildings in Japan, you will indeed see lots of signs and company logos on the buildings (and they light up at night to give that flashy Tokyo effect).  I hadn’t been to Japan before developing this product either, but I travelled there in February to take photos and nearly all of the Japan textures are based on photos from that trip.  I found that what I expected beforehand and what Japan actually looked like we’re two different things; the entire country does not look like the flashy Shibuya neighborhood that you often see in photos. So it’s places like Japan where I tried to strike a balance between the “stereotype” appearance of a region vs the actual thing.

13 hours ago, BradB said:

Great post Lars , very informative !! .

Cheers

John

Thanks John. It's supposed to give an overview over the product Buildings HD in a more realistic "average" sim environment.

8 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I enjoyed your world architectural tour Lars but the only city I have been to here is Birmingham and that was nearly 50 years ago, so I imagine that it has changes slightly since then!:)

I'm glad to hear that, Martyn - it wasn't meant to be a comparison to the real life counterpart. I wanted to show a great variety of cities so that others can see what it does in a realistic "average" sim environment.

2 hours ago, Scott Armstrong said:

Hi Lars,

Wow, what a tour!  I’m glad to hear you’re overall enjoying the new textures!

If you take a closer look at the buildings in Japan, you will indeed see lots of signs and company logos on the buildings (and they light up at night to give that flashy Tokyo effect).  I hadn’t been to Japan before developing this product either, but I travelled there in February to take photos and nearly all of the Japan textures are based on photos from that trip.  I found that what I expected beforehand and what Japan actually looked like we’re two different things; the entire country does not look like the flashy Shibuya neighborhood that you often see in photos. So it’s places like Japan where I tried to strike a balance between the “stereotype” appearance of a region vs the actual thing.

Thank you Scott for your comment. I'm sure you're 100% right on Japan. It's not all Shibuya, and I'm probably too high above the ground to be able to see it. It speaks a lot about people and the world we live in that you have to take not only reality into account, but also what people might think the reality should look like. I guess I'm no exception here either.

Thank you very much for this exhaustive testing tour, Lars. Tokyo looked quite good to me, Delhi (and the african examples) really needs more chaos (but that is probably up to the LC).

Very good to read about the perfomance as well.

9 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I have been to here is Birmingham and that was nearly 50 years ago, so I imagine that it has changes slightly since then!

Probably very few changes, and they even want to turn it back to the times of the Empire now. Do you remember the installations, windows, doors :o?

8 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you very much for this exhaustive testing tour, Lars. Tokyo looked quite good to me, Delhi (and the african examples) really needs more chaos (but that is probably up to the LC).

Very good to read about the perfomance as well.

Probably very few changes, and they even want to turn it back to the times of the Empire now. Do you remember the installations, windows, doors :o?

You're welcome. :)

Archived