Airports in TrueEarth Washington

TrueEarth Washington does not upgrade any of the default airports and the airports in the region will be the same ones in the default scenery (unless you are using third-party airports).

At the time of release, a few of the small airports (mostly grass strips) are not aligned correctly and some airports have unnecessary flattening enabled which can cause ugly flattening of the surrounding terrain. 

We are currently doing our best to fix these and submit them to Laminar Research for inclusion in an X-Plane update, however they only get updated with each release. If you do find an airport that is badly aligned or has strange mesh problems around it, then please first check https://gateway.x-plane.com/airports/page to see if there is an update to the airport, and if not please report it here and we'll pass on the information to Laminar Research

Whilst we've excluded to the best we can any autogenerated buildings from airports, some payware/freeware airports may still lack exclusion zones or add their own trees and 3D objects in places. If you see this happening, please contact the author of the airport and ask them to add exclusion zones if there are any conflicts.

Both Drzewiecki Design's Seattle and AirfoilLabs Arlington KAWO include their own meshes and these meshes SHOULD NOT be used with TE Washington and must be disabled. The airports will work fine in this region without the custom mesh they have provided.

To disable DD's custom mesh:

1) Open your X-Plane folder, locate Custom Scenery/scenery_packs.ini and edit with a text editor

2) Locate the line that contains SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ZZZ DD Seattle Airports XP Terrain/ 

3) Change it to SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/ZZZ DD Seattle Airports XP Terrain/

4) and then restart X-Plane.

Hello,

Congratulations on this superb achievement.

Is it possible to publish a map of the "TrueEarth Washington" area for those who are not familiar with the geography of the United States ? 

Or more simply the approximate airports of delimitation N - S - E - W.

Thank you.

20 hours ago, John Hargreaves said:

Can anyone tell me which files or folders need to be deleted/disabled to get the Seattle airport playing nicely with TE Washington please? Or is it a question of just editing the scenery file? 

I've updated the original post above with instructions.

As stated in their description, ORBX are not modifying the default X-Planes airports to align with the new Ortho Imagery that isa the basis of True Earth.  This is why Swanson does not line up.  As Luck would have it, Swanson IS an airport that will be released as a custom highly detailed airport available for your purchase in the future.  

-Preston

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the report of the rogue autogen buildings. I was able to clean up the building data for Washington State before TE WA was released, but the ones you are seeing are in British Columbia. I am currently working on cleaning this data, together with the parts of Oregon and Idaho which fall inside TE WA, ready for inclusion in an update to TE WA in the future.

I want to ask what "The airports will work fine in this region without the custom mesh they have provided." means? Whatever I do I have cars either sunken or floating or buldings submerged 10 meters into the ground at KSEA. Am I doing somethign wrong or is that what the word "fine" means? Because if it's the latter you should consider changing the desribtion in the manual.

9 minutes ago, ErixCZE said:

I want to ask what "The airports will work fine in this region without the custom mesh they have provided." means? Whatever I do I have cars either sunken or floating or buldings submerged 10 meters into the ground at KSEA. Am I doing somethign wrong or is that what the word "fine" means? Because if it's the latter you should consider changing the desribtion in the manual.

Are you using the KSEA demo which comes with the default XP11? If so then place it above Global Airports. It was always stated to place the 2 demos of LOWI and KSEA below Global but since 11.34/35 it is best above Global Airports. Your anomaly could well be due to the layering of your scenery_paclks.ini. If in doubt then attach your .ini and I can review it for you if you wish.

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

did you do as suggested in the opening post of this topic?

Hi,

Yes I have. To recap I have both DD Seattle Airports and City. I also had Ortho. Threw Ortho and DD Seattle City into the bin. Since I wanted to eliminate any interference of old/duplicate sceneries I emptied my Custom Scenery folder end ended up with what you can see in the attached .ini file. I also added a couple of comparison pictures.

The problem seems to only be limited to KSEA

Using XP 11.34r1

KA350 - 2019-07-01 18.45.06.jpg

KA350 - 2019-07-01 18.54.57.jpg

KA350 - 2019-07-01 18.45.12.jpg

KA350 - 2019-07-01 18.55.11.jpg

KA350 - 2019-06-22 16.09.57.jpg

KA350 - 2019-06-22 17.22.57.jpg

scenery_packs.ini

11 hours ago, Mark Halliwell said:

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the report of the rogue autogen buildings. I was able to clean up the building data for Washington State before TE WA was released, but the ones you are seeing are in British Columbia. I am currently working on cleaning this data, together with the parts of Oregon and Idaho which fall inside TE WA, ready for inclusion in an update to TE WA in the future.

Great thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble with a misaligned (and flattened) grass strip airport and made a short video of the issue at https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmlhuKdaEBz0iql7OkCVGJBJZB79Hg?e=tEir4b 

This issue has been posted separately in the forum with the title "Mesh Error"  - but "misaligned" seems a more appropriate description. The "airport" (actually it's a grass hilltop gliding site) was developed by me using WED during the X-P V10 run and ran fine in 11 until I installed True Earth GB South and Central. As the video shows, I've tried disabling ORBX (which has a completely flat site with ugly surrounding terrain) and reverting back to my original scenery where the flattening disappears but the runway is misaligned by about 50 Mtrs.

So I'm wondering whether ORBX installs any other files somewhere  -  like a preference or a plugin that could be interfering in some way. Certainly, the flattening seems to be an ORBX issue but the misalignment  appears to be x-plane. Can you help me solve this?

Hello Nick Cooper.

I was reluctant to put it on youtube because I didn't want to put or imply any negative stuff on such a public place. I'm delighted with all other aspects of ORBX. The link is to my personal onedrive account. Maybe try a cut a paste into your browser? If not I'll put it on youtube for a limited time only.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 12:07 PM, Tony Wroblewski said:

TrueEarth Washington does not upgrade any of the default airports and the airports in the region will be the same ones in the default scenery (unless you are using third-party airports).

At the time of release, a few of the small airports (mostly grass strips) are not aligned correctly and some airports have unnecessary flattening enabled which can cause ugly flattening of the surrounding terrain. 

We are currently doing our best to fix these and submit them to Laminar Research for inclusion in an X-Plane update, however they only get updated with each release. If you do find an airport that is badly aligned or has strange mesh problems around it, then please first check https://gateway.x-plane.com/airports/page to see if there is an update to the airport, and if not please report it here and we'll pass on the information to Laminar Research

Whilst we've excluded to the best we can any autogenerated buildings from airports, some payware/freeware airports may still lack exclusion zones or add their own trees and 3D objects in places. If you see this happening, please contact the author of the airport and ask them to add exclusion zones if there are any conflicts.

Both Drzewiecki Design's Seattle and AirfoilLabs Arlington KAWO include their own meshes and these meshes SHOULD NOT be used with TE Washington and must be disabled. The airports will work fine in this region without the custom mesh they have provided.

To disable DD's custom mesh:

1) Open your X-Plane folder, locate Custom Scenery/scenery_packs.ini and edit with a text editor

2) Locate the line that contains SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ZZZ DD Seattle Airports XP Terrain/ 

3) Change it to SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED Custom Scenery/ZZZ DD Seattle Airports XP Terrain/

4) and then restart X-Plane.

Thanks for the excellent TE Washington. 

I have disabled the DD Seattle airports XP Terrain. It works OK except that I noted that around some of the DD airports there are some autogen buildings floating in the air. Is it related?

Also would you please inform me of which scenery entry needs to be disabled for the  AirfoilLabs Arlington KAWO mesh  ?

Thanks

This has been an interesting and helpful thread, so thanks to all for their input! Washington State, and more importantly, the Seattle area is home to me and I do a lot of my flying there. Up till Orbx's wonderful TE Washington, I was doing most of my flight simming around Washington on Prepar3d v.4. About the only draw to flying the area with X Plane 11 was Drzewiecki's Seattle City, and Seattle Airports addon. So TE Washington comes out, and for the most part, it's really great, but as others have written about, issues with the Seattle airports. Listen, I had no problem sidelining DD's Seattle City addon because TE Washington's Seattle city graphics are outstanding! Again, my problem is with the airports.

KSEA is really lacking within TE Washington, and X Plane's default KSEA Demo area doesn't cut it either. I love my DD Seattle Airports! I just can't do without the eye candy at KRNT, KBFI and KPAE! So after playing around with putting this into, or moving something out of my Custom Scenery file, I've come to what's acceptable for me for the time being. So DD's Seattle Airports stays, and the Seattle Airports Terrain and Roads are stored in a backup file.

I was having some bizarre terrain issues with my Orbx Anacortes airport addon, and a nice person here on the forum suggested that I check Runways Follow Contour in the X Plane 11's settings. It took care of the problem there, but added problems around Sea-Tac like flattened cargo buildings on the field and floating buildings surrounding the airport. So it's back to flat runways without having those building issues. It sure would be great if Orbx and Drzewiecki Design could work out a fix so we didn't have to sacrifice this thing in order to have that thing ya know!

Cessna_172SP - 2019-07-21 10.55.51.png

I'm very curious about TrueEarth Washington. Should I install it, which of these have to go:

KORS Orcas Island Airport

Seattle City

Mesh XP Washingon and Oregon

UHD Mesh 2 North America files

UHD Mesh USA West 3

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious....what X-Plane Orcas Island scenery are you using? I am hopeful that the great people at Orbx will port their Orcas scenery over, but until then, I'd love to have something in place (unless I'm missing something and they have ported it to XP and I missed it somehow?)

5 hours ago, kerrygipe said:

Just curious....what X-Plane Orcas Island scenery are you using? I am hopeful that the great people at Orbx will port their Orcas scenery over, but until then, I'd love to have something in place (unless I'm missing something and they have ported it to XP and I missed it somehow?)

Probably this one:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/24492-kors-orcas-island-airport/

On 7/20/2019 at 7:21 PM, hm2118 said:

Thanks for the excellent TE Washington. 

I have disabled the DD Seattle airports XP Terrain. It works OK except that I noted that around some of the DD airports there are some autogen buildings floating in the air. Is it related?

+1 have same issues...

12 hours ago, taylormays said:

I bought the new kbvs airport a couple of days ago. its shows in my ftx cenrtral as bought but not installed. when i click on it it says there are no downloads available for this product? 

You need Orbx Central not FTX Central to install KBVS apparently and according to the notes written at the bottom of the Product page

On 7/1/2019 at 10:19 AM, jjaycee1 said:

Are you using the KSEA demo which comes with the default XP11? If so then place it above Global Airports. It was always stated to place the 2 demos of LOWI and KSEA below Global but since 11.34/35 it is best above Global Airports. Your anomaly could well be due to the layering of your scenery_paclks.ini. If in doubt then attach your .ini and I can review it for you if you wish.

Thanks so much. I know this is an old post but you just saved me a BUNCH of time. I was about to reinstall x-plane, orbx, and ALL of my addons when I found this post! Fixed my missing KSEA building issue.

1 hour ago, _Francois_ said:

Thanks so much. I know this is an old post but you just saved me a BUNCH of time. I was about to reinstall x-plane, orbx, and ALL of my addons when I found this post! Fixed my missing KSEA building issue.

Glad to help.

• 5 weeks later...

I wonder if you are confusing the version for FSX/P3D which was released in 2010 and the version for X Plane 11 which was released on 17th July 2019?

This is from its product page:

13.jpg

and this is its release announcement:

The third Washington airport is now available for X-Plane 11!

•  

•  

• 4 months later...

I'm a bit of a noob with Xplane and I coming to grips with the scenery nuances. I was excited to get TE WA on the weekend and so far my experience is mixed. First off I was bummed out that the scenery for southwest Wa, i.e. Vancouver city and the areaaround is not even covered so all you get is default. I fly out of KVUO IRL and was bummed that the area was not part of this pack. I totally wanted the Iconic I-5  bridge but no-go. I get that KVUO Pearson field is an ORBX airfield but there is huge chunk of Southwest WA much of it suburban still not covered. Is it covered perhaps by overlap in Oregon TE SCENERY?

Archived