P3D-"Longhouse" at Canberra

Bert Groner

Hello everyone!

I found a "longhouse" with P3D v4.5 at Canberras Scrivener Dam with Australia v2. It "shortens" itself to a normal shape while getting closer.

If the developers are considering an update on Australia v2 please let them put this on the list. Or can I do something against it?

Thanks a lot - best regards!

Bert

Australia v2 transaction code 5cfcefa7e14f7

AUSv2CanberraLonghouse.jpg

Thanks, I think that it will fall into:

Other Orbx products for Australia
Since the terrain components of Australia v2 are very different from the previous version most of our existing airports and Cityscape addons will require updates to achieve full compatibility. These will be delivered as individual service packs for these products so please monitor our forum release announcements and/or the notifications within FTX Central as to which updates are available.

I'll mention it to the developers in any case.

Hi Bert, you should see the dam only. The prolongment is part of the model because i scaled it to fit the terrain, but generally is buried into the terrain, so you don't see it. If the mesh of Australia V2 has a definition higher than the mesh already included in the scenery (5 mt) then it gets the priority and displays in this area instead of the other one included.

The fix would be to substitute that dam with another, and since it belongs to a default object library, i should have to model it with a totally brand new one.

Hello Maurizio!

Hope you will find time to do that... I use the Mesh for Australia v2 together with FS Global 2010 from PILOT'S. Mesh setting is 1 Meter.

I only deavtivated one file for OCE to make Australia v2's Ayers Rock work porperly. I was told that Orbx generally uses this mesh as the base for worldwide developments.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Bert

Hi Bert,

a mesh resolution setting of 1m in FSX/P3D makes no sense as it doesn't improve the display quality or accuracy, quite the opposite. For one, it forces the simulator into a 1-m horizontal grid spacing, regardless of the source file's resolution. Since there are no large-scale terrain meshes whose source data are actually 1-m resolution you're creating false (interpolated) data without any benefit to accuracy. It also means that all slopes are going to be much steeper than with a 5-m spacing and those "walls" tend to look quite ugly, especially at the edges of flattened areas, like airports, rivers, and lakes.

One of the annoying issues with terrain mesh in FSX/P3D is the small but noticeable morphing of terrain segments when you fly over a mountainous landscape. That's the display engine stepping through the LOD levels (= different resolutions embedded in the compiled terrain mesh) which surround the user aircraft in concentric "rings". With each notch on the resolution slider you're adding another ring closer to the user aircraft and thus increasing the likelihood of morphing. In fact, the 1-m LOD ring will extend only a very short distance around the user aircraft; beyond that you'll already see the 2-m resolution, and a little farther away the 5-m resolution, etc.  (Incidentally, it's the same with photoreal scenery, which is why it doesn't make much sense to use resolutions of better than ~60cm for large-area photoreal coverage other than perhaps for low-and-slow ultralight or helicopter pilots) . In short, there are good reasons why we recommend to keep the mesh resolution slider pegged at 5m.

Our reference to PILOTS' FS Global 2010 mesh stems from the fact that the adjusted airport elevation as well as the fixed lake elevations in Global Vector (also made by PILOTS) are based on the elevation data used for FS Global 2010. In addition, our add-on airports outside of the Region coverage sometimes use that terrain mesh as a base though, increasingly, they include local mesh files of their own to make them independent of a specific third-party add-on.

There's no advantage of running a third-party terrain mesh concurrently with the mesh files included with AUv2. Many of the high-resolution LIDAR sources we included were released only a few months ago by the Australian government.

Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger!

Thanks for the explanations and the hint for the mesh resolution. I will set it back to 5 meter. A lot of scenery developers are recommending 1 meter - now this is strange to me.

And I will ask PILOT's which files in FS Global 2010's OCE I will have to deactivated to use only the mesh delievered with Australia v2.

Best regards for now!

Bert

Thanks Bert for mentioning this scenery issue.

Thanks to Maurizio for offering to fix it and also thanks to Holger for your explanation about resolution.

As a local, I had noticed the 'long house' and wondered about it's cause since installing AU2. YSCB is my 'home base'. I depart to the north and south on SIDs and look out over to Canberra on every departure and have noticed the extended dam wall. (I generally only fly low circuits over Canberra when I have visitors to the cockpit to show them the capabilities of the Orbx developers). I haven't flown over it to see if it reverts to beneath the ground, if you approach the lake and dam wall.

For reference, I have always had my mesh set to 5 metres as recommended. Also, I deleted the AU Holgermesh and the AU1 package from the computer before installing AU2. I have no other mesh installed.

Regards,

Aussie

• 9 months later...
On 6/24/2019 at 9:40 AM, Graham Eccleston said:

Again I advise, this issue is already fixed with the Updates to all Orbx Australian airports and cityscapes which will be made available shortly. Please wait until those updates are rolled out before reporting issues of this type.

Hmmmm  not fixed methinks, I'm still seeing the long wall with all the latest updates.

It's not important though, just thought I'd mention it.

1 hour ago, John Dow said:

Hmmmm  not fixed methinks, I'm still seeing the long wall with all the latest updates.

It's not important though, just thought I'd mention it.

Agreed - it’s still quite noticeable. Furthermore, the base of the Telstra tower on Black Mountain also suffers from the same issue - it’s very large when viewed from a distance but gradually shrinks to its proper size as you fly towards it. These things aren’t biggies but they do detract from an otherwise excellent immersive flight experience around Canberra (which is my home base). Alex

Both are default library objects. They have been excluded for first, rescaled and placed again according to the photoreal footprint. You see that dam prolongement due to a mesh display problem or a conflict between two mesh for the same area. The mesh provided with the scenery is a 5 meter resolution mesh. This is the setting, but you already know it, to keep for the optimal display.

Archived