Extreme shimmering with most trees around Olbia LIEO

Hi @Matteo Veneziani

I've installed LIEO v1.05 today and I'm very pleased with the overall improvements you've done since initial release!

There's one thing however that renders the scenery unusable for me, I hope you can help:

I get extreme texture shimmering on most trees around the airport, or within your scenery area. I know that tree texture shimmering during movement is normal to some degree for trees in the distance. However most of your trees shimmer extremely bad right until the tree is directly in front of me. It is the kind of shimmer I would see if the texture did not have any mip maps.

I have confirmed that the issue only occurs within your scenery coverage area. As soon as I move outside your scenery, all trees display perfectly normal.

See the two screenshots below, I've tried to mark the type of tree that cause the problem. Green arrows show tree types that display normally, red arrows show tree types with extreme shimmering. Note that the shimmering affects ALL the trees of the same type, not just those marked by an arrow. This is just for you to find a pattern as to which tree might be affected.

As you can see the issue is with the smaller trees, those with a more greyish texture. Are these tress that are only used in your scenery, and nowhere else within ORBX land? I've never observed this issue in any other ORBX airport, nor any OpenLC or FTX area. And as I've said, as soon as I move away from your scenery, I no longer see the issue.

2019-5-19_1-22-56-564.thumb.jpg.a901a552b4a4f7e32f79594f82f19833.jpg

2019-5-19_1-24-36-227.thumb.jpg.fdf0922904179c068f31db5e2ba8c29f.jpg

Let me know if you need further info to isolate this problem!

I use ORBX HD Trees by the way, I use 8x MSAA with a screen resolution of 3840x1600px

Oh and one more thing:

For some strange reason your SODE jetways do not want to dock to my AI aircraft. Any ideas? This works perfectly fine on other SODE jetway airports.

Thanks,
Markus

Thanks for the reply Doug,

the altitude is not relevant in this case. The affected trees shimmer whether I fly 1000ft above them or if I am at ground level moving towards them until they are right in front of me.

FS Global 2018 mesh installed and CP settings made accordingly.

Some trouble shooting might be required here. Perhaps if I knew which tree textures are used, I could exchange those affected with one from a different tree and see if the issue goes away? And I would like to know if the trees marked red are used in any other ORBX product, then I could double check there. As I've said, so far I see this only around LIEO, nowhere else in the (ORBX) world. Must be a very specific tree used there?

Hi, 

did you try to use different setting for antialiasing? 

At my end i don't have any type of shimmering, I know this type of problem can be caused by some " visual " setting you are using. I don't know if you are using, but if you have PTA or something like that try to disable it and see if the problem is still present or not. 

Anyway i will try to see if the agn trees used have some problems or not.

Regards,

2 hours ago, Matteo Veneziani said:

did you try to use different setting for antialiasing? 

At my end i don't have any type of shimmering, I know this type of problem can be caused by some " visual " setting you are using. I don't know if you are using, but if you have PTA or something like that try to disable it and see if the problem is still present or not. 

Anyway i will try to see if the agn trees used have some problems or not.

Hi Matteo,

well the first thing I tried is 8xSSAA for antialiasing. Using that setting, the shimmering is gone. However that is not a practical solution, since performance suffers heavily with that. If I use a lower setting, such as 4xSSAA, the shimmering is back. Normally I use 8xMSAA, which works just fine for all other trees, except the ones you're using in your scenery.

No shader tweaks in use.

It really puzzles me as to why all other trees display just fine, and only those that you used give me this problem.

Can you tell me the texture file name used for the trees I've marked red?Then I can look for the file and replace it with another tree texture, for testing purposes.

Thanks for all your efforts!

Markus

10 hours ago, mburkhard said:

Hi Matteo,

well the first thing I tried is 8xSSAA for antialiasing. Using that setting, the shimmering is gone. However that is not a practical solution, since performance suffers heavily with that. If I use a lower setting, such as 4xSSAA, the shimmering is back. Normally I use 8xMSAA, which works just fine for all other trees, except the ones you're using in your scenery.

No shader tweaks in use.

It really puzzles me as to why all other trees display just fine, and only those that you used give me this problem.

Can you tell me the texture file name used for the trees I've marked red?Then I can look for the file and replace it with another tree texture, for testing purposes.

Thanks for all your efforts!

Markus

Hi Markus,

The bushes that have the problem is just 1 type. This type of bush is not from default agn library but has been created ( not by me ) specifically form some orbx sceneries. I spoke to the creator of this agn, it seems that the problem is caused because the bushes are too close to one another. So will be not very easy to solve. The unique solution is to delete randomly by hand some bushes and hope that they no longer do this problem. 

However for the moment i suggest try to reduce the vegetation agn density, maybe can be a quick solution for now.

Regards

Now, I'm dredging this up from a well buried memory of some years ago ! And the type of video card has not been mentioned yet.  This problem was identified with AMD video cards and the version of the Catalyst Control Center.  If I remember correctly, either the control center was uninstalled completely and only leaving the drivers or an installation of either a later or earlier copy of the Catalyst Control Center, can't remember for sure which way to go.

Could be worth a check.

Chris

On 5/20/2019 at 9:02 AM, Matteo Veneziani said:

The bushes that have the problem is just 1 type. This type of bush is not from default agn library but has been created ( not by me ) specifically form some orbx sceneries. I spoke to the creator of this agn, it seems that the problem is caused because the bushes are too close to one another. So will be not very easy to solve. The unique solution is to delete randomly by hand some bushes and hope that they no longer do this problem. 

However for the moment i suggest try to reduce the vegetation agn density, maybe can be a quick solution for now.

Hi Matteo,

I'm afraid lowering the vegetation density doesn't cure the problem. Shimmering stays exactly the same on the affected type of bush. See the screenshot below. EVERY bush shown on the screenshot is shimmering, despite being just a single one at certain spots. So I don't think placement has anything to do with this.

Since this is ORBX's own type of bush, can you please tell me which texture this is? I'm convinced that this is a texture issue and I would therefore like to try replacing it with a different one, to see if I can solve the problem that way.

@Chris.D Thanks for your input, however this can't be a driver issue as only a certain type of tree used in Matteo's scenery is affected. All other types of Autogen work just fine. I'm using an RTX 2080Ti

Thanks,
Markus

2019-5-23_23-35-36-250.thumb.jpg.a33ac26526ad7127ff385bec38961cbe.jpg

On 5/19/2019 at 8:49 PM, mburkhard said:

well the first thing I tried is 8xSSAA for antialiasing. Using that setting, the shimmering is gone.

Hello,

I am struggling to understand why this obvious solution is not acceptable to you.

You appear to have a state of the art graphics card and presumably a state of the art PC to back it up.

I see shimmering of all kinds of things at anything less than 4 x SSAA and in fact use 8 x SSAA.

Then I do not use the frame rate indicator.

20 hours ago, mburkhard said:

Hi Matteo,

I'm afraid lowering the vegetation density doesn't cure the problem. Shimmering stays exactly the same on the affected type of bush. See the screenshot below. EVERY bush shown on the screenshot is shimmering, despite being just a single one at certain spots. So I don't think placement has anything to do with this.

Since this is ORBX's own type of bush, can you please tell me which texture this is? I'm convinced that this is a texture issue and I would therefore like to try replacing it with a different one, to see if I can solve the problem that way.

@Chris.D Thanks for your input, however this can't be a driver issue as only a certain type of tree used in Matteo's scenery is affected. All other types of Autogen work just fine. I'm using an RTX 2080Ti

Thanks,
Markus

2019-5-23_23-35-36-250.thumb.jpg.a33ac26526ad7127ff385bec38961cbe.jpg

Hi Markus,

You are right, so the problem is not due to the placement. I have used KSEZ DesertScrub Large 10-17m and small 7-10m.

I think the most obvious solution as Nick suggests is to change the AA filter.

Regards,

5 hours ago, Matteo Veneziani said:

You are right, so the problem is not due to the placement. I have used KSEZ DesertScrub Large 10-17m and small 7-10m.

I think the most obvious solution as Nick suggests is to change the AA filter.

Thank you both, Nick and Matteo.

I'm afraid using 8x SSAA is not an option. Yes I do have a powerful video card. However, if that RTX 2080Ti needs to drive a 4K resolution, flying into hub airports, using complex airliners, dynamic lights in the cockpit, on the ground and on AI, all in complex ActiveSky weather, then there's really no reserves for 8xSSAA, the performance penalty is simply too big.

Now if all my autogen had this shimmering issue, I'd be willing to make sacrifices at a lot of places to make 8xSSAA a possibility. BUT.... It's one type of autogen on ONE airport only, all other add-on airports, be it ORBX, FlyTampa, Flightbeam, 29Palms, Simwings... all other Autogen displays just fine. So I hope you understand that I cannot sacrifice my entire flightsim setup just because one ORBX airport has an issue that no other scenery has.

So Matteo if ORBX doesn't want to fix this specific tree/bush, can you at least PLEASE tell me the file name of the texture used for that KSEZ desert scrub. I was unable to find it within the ORBX folder by using KSEZ as a keyword. If you tell me the file name, then I can at least TRY to exchange that texture for one that doesn't shimmer in the sim. If that doesn't work, I'll uninstall the scenery and write off that money, and will not bother you again.

I have checked the texture it was saved with DXT1, Now i have saved it to DXT5 ( maybe  this can fix the shimmer ) so try by doing like this:

1) go in P3DV4.xxx\Scenery\Global\texture, -> find this texture Westsim_Vegetation_KSEZ_01 -> make a backup copy of it

2) copy and overwrite  the attachment texture to  P3DV4.xxx\Scenery\Global\texture.

maybe now should work.

Regards,

Westsim_Vegetation_KSEZ_01.dds

Archived