PNW is now released to pre-pay customers!

John Venema

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 2 hrs...I had 5 mins left...Getright couldnt finish..trying to resume said it couldnt find server anymore...No way...

You are not alone. My download also just aborted with a size mismatch error, couldn't resume either. Back to square one. ;)

I, too, have had several aborts even with the download manager :\  And I'll be out of town all day tomorrow so I guess it kind of works out, although I would have liked to play with it a bit tonight!

-stefan

Installed and did a short test flight from KSEA, over Seattle, towards the Olympia Mountains and down to Emma Field. Looking gorgeous and look forward to spend a lot of time here all over :)

Thanks for this scenery! I'm completely satisfied :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Må si jeg gleder meg stort til å utforske dette landskapet på nytt igjen med FTX Pacific North West :)

Well, that's me done for now- using GetRight, paused and tried to resume, but it will not resume, so after 1 hour 30 I've got a 5% download that won't resume. AAAAAARGH!!!

John

After 2 hrs...I had 5 mins left...Getright couldnt finish..trying to resume said it couldnt find server anymore...No way...

uninstalled Getright...now basic downloading 2 hrs to go...again... ::):)

Yes....same problem here.....looks like the FSS servers are not handling the load.........using GetRight....message:  same server doesn't support resume....2.5 hours gone now...and back to square one.....sent PM to Adrian.....I am thinking FSS has their hands full right now........

Stiletto2

They are handling it fine, this is the definition of a CDN:

Users are automatically resolved to a regional network of edge servers closest to their location, and then intelligently routed based on network latency, congestion, upstream ISP & path length.

When a request is made to a download server, your ISP will automatically route the packet to the closest SimpleCDN Peering Point, and then we'll route your packet to the closest edge server.

We have just crossed the 1TB delivery and that is within 3 hours of release. I am pretty darn pleased with the result so far.

Well this stinks, using get right I was at 90 bytes (yes 90), until it timed out.  Now nothing but server busy.

So much for a 24 hour head start.    :(

Now I can not even connect, AT ALL.

Joe

Add to the above each time I try to down load it is taking away from downloads remaining . . .

Noted this in my Control Panel list of sceneries

>> FTX NA PNW PACIFIC NORTHWEST BETA BUILD 5020

So I'm assuming this is a collector's item?    ;)

Defrag underway.....

I have the same in my report of the installed FTX products. Must be something that wasn't updated.

Roughly 45 minutes for me I got a min speed of 12-15mbit.  Went from KSEA to CYVR in the Twin Otter, with real weather.  Too many clouds to get the full benefit tonight but I'll make more rounds in the Saratoga and warmer weather.  I noticed the new runway in seattle is there!  Awesome!  I can't wait until you guys tackle the Grand Canyon :)

Was downloading at ~140KB/sec, though getting as low as 80 at times - VERY annoying as I'm on a 10Mbps connection. GetRight lost the connection at around 25% and wouldn't reconnect, so after waiting 10 minutes I paused it manually and then resumed it. The connection instantly came back and now it's downloading at a very respectable 800KB/sec. That's mo' like it.

Mike

Well this stinks, using get right I was at 90 bytes (yes 90), until it timed out.  Now nothing but server busy.

So much for a 24 hour head start.    :(

Now I can not even connect, AT ALL.

Joe

Add to the above each time I try to down load it is taking away from downloads remaining . . .

Tried my FS system (usually not an internet computer) w/o Get Right and am now getting about 545KB/sec.  a little slow for me, but not that much.  Whew Hopefully I finish . . .

Guys ... I gues the word is patience.

I always expected there to be problems when half the flight simming community tried to download 4.5gb at once. That's why I've ordered the plain cover DVD as well ... which should be here in a few days. If my download eventually comes off ... well, that's a bonus as far as I'm concerned. There's not much I can do about the quirks of the Internet.

Suffice is to say ... I'll be soaring over Mt Hood within a week ... no matter what.

Again, do not forget we are serving one of the biggest downloads ever, plus doing more than 1TB within the 3 hours mark of release, there is not many out there that could achieve that same thing.

Though, I have had some troubles with downloading, the CDN is producing at a fantastic download rate....1 TB in 3 hours is amazing!  Even more amazing is that demand for the download from the prepays is gobbling all that up and wanting more......if I compute right, you are sending the equivalent of over 70 copies of NA Blue downstream every hour.  Congratulations on the number of prepays sold!

As far as my download is concerned, got it going again and am now humming along at 500 Kb/s using GetRight.

Stiletto2

Guys, without trying to sound condescending, please understand how the internet works. You could have up to 40 different hops between your PC, ISP and eventually our servers in the USA. Note they are in the USA, not Australia, and we are sharing the same CDN network as Steam, which does not come cheap. We have reports of customers downloading the whole 4.21GB in as little as 19 minutes. I myself downloaded it this morning in 4:19 hours. So you can see how variable internet connections can be, and indeed how fickle as well.

I guess what I am saying is that we're a planet of nearly 7 billion people and no two internet connections are alike. Problems downloading are no different for Orbx, than it is for Steam, Electronic Arts, or any other major online product release.

So please be patient. You'll get the product eventually and then enjoy the scenery.

Here's a tip which may help, and I quote from above; "GetRight lost the connection at around 25% and wouldn't reconnect, so after waiting 10 minutes I paused it manually and then resumed it. The connection instantly came back and now it's downloading at a very respectable 800KB/sec. That's mo' like it.".

So suggestion: Wait 10-15 minutes then try again.

We sold a real LOT of pre-pay copies, so the servers are getting hammered as we expected, but they are coping quite well, with over a terrabyte served in < 3 hours.

And those people downloading it in less than 30 minutes ....  gee, I wish I had their internet connection  ;D

Ok now I'm pissed off. My elation has turned to anger. The connection was cutoff and now GetRight has reset the download to 0%. I can't restart because the 1.5GB that needs to be re-downloaded will push my net usage past its cap and I'll get throttled. So now I have to wait till my cap gets reset on the 1st. Whole lot of point to prepaying for me...

Mike

Appreciate all that John, but the wonders of torrents make everything vastly smoother for the masses, and infinitely more resilient as soon as you have a few seeds up in addition to official sources. That system is tailor made for very large files. I've not done a large point-to-point download for months! Something to consider for the future, mebbe. I appreciate it can get things into the hands of ne'er-do-wells faster, but presumably the installer is license-key locked and they'll get it soon enough regardless. Where there's loose morals, there's always a way.

Never mind, I suspect this might be finished by the time I wake up tomorrow. I have some painting to do, and I suppose this at least means I've nothing to procrastinate with (the hockey semi-final looks like another exhibition yawn). I suspect I'll still be checking in every half-hour or so though, to see how far it's progressed :)

Not meaning to whine, just trying to be constructive, really looking forward to flying this. Congrats on the release!

Cheers, Iain

Just a heads up to everyone using "getright"  I decided to see if it would help my download at all, so seeing as I was only 100mb in, I canceled and restarted the downloading in IE using getright.

Getright download - stuttering between 0 and 30kps.

...Gave up on getright in less than a minute

Chrome native download - Now sitting at 235kps.

Maybe this is not the same for everyone but it seems to me that getright is a major bottleneck for the download.  I'll stick with the browser alone.

Heh, cheers for the response JayKae, thought it was worth a shot as I watched my d/l rate drop under 90k.

I'm using Chrome's manager too peacedivision, good luck to you! I gave up on GetRight when the free trial suggested I need to pay for the full version in order to interface over https to the FlightSim Store. Pfft.

Oh well, back to the painting.

Cheers, Iain

I have been happily downloading through Getright between 100kb/s and 130kb/s which is pretty much my full 1.5mb connection maxed out. So far no issues. Aside from the link on the FSS store being saturated by the demand I think the delivery of the product is impressive!

My download speed is picking up a bit as the initial rush seems to subside. I think for the level of anticipation with this thing, the release is going very well so far. I'm just glad to be getting it downloaded before it officially is launched though!

Everyone with a failed download or the likes coming from the simplecdn link, please try to reenage your download because the file has just been loaded into an additional 112 nodes and allowed a bigger cache to cope for the pressure.

A little tip for anyone with firefox who is downloading much slower than their connection is capable of:

I was stuck around 100-200 kb/s for a while, but after pausing and unpausing my download a few times, I managed to get back to a respectable 1.5 Mb/s. I think it just kind of randomly decides a download server for you, and some are better than others, or perhaps the bandwith allocation is different. All I know is that restarting my download a few different times via the pause method on firefox seemed to change my download speed, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

Everyone with a failed download or the likes coming from the simplecdn link, please try to reenage your download because the file has just been loaded into an additional 112 nodes and allowed a bigger cache to cope for the pressure.

Thank you so much!  Download is flying now at over 1 MB/s.  Great support in the customer's time of need!!!

Stiletto2

Archived