Tom's Chevy Volt

My friend Tom recently bought a Chevy Volt.  A very fine car, he says:  "It's clean, quiet, doesn't pollute the environment, and is cheap on gas."  Tom really likes his new car and drives it 30 miles to work and back every day.

Tom used to drive Fords.  He would never have considered driving a Chevy.  His father drove Fords, and that was that.  Tom drove Fords.  Until he saw a Chevy Volt in the dealer's showroom and saw some commercials for the car on tv.

"This is a great car, Stew!" he told me.  "It's clean, quiet, doesn't pollute the environment, and is cheap on gas."

"But, Tom," I replied, "You've always driven Fords.  Your old man always drove Fords.  You used to hate Chevys.  What happened?"

"I saw the light,"  he said.  "Electric cars are the wave of the future.  You'd better get on board, or you'll be left behind at the station," he warned.

Funny thing, buying a new car.  Your entire life you've driven a Ford and suddenly you're driving a Chevy, a car as recently as a year ago you wouldn't have considered driving to save your life.  And to boot, it's more expensive than your favorite Ford, has less features, and it's damned difficult finding a recharging station. 

Still, Tom loves his Chevy Volt, and will talk to anyone who will listen about what a great car it is, how it's the wave of the future, how everyone should own a Chevy Volt.  Gasoline automobiles are a thing of the past, he will say, and it's time to embrace the new technology and get rid of the old.

I can't help but think that the more he praises his new Chevy Volt, the more he is convincing himself that he made the right choice.  That's human nature, I guess.

Times do change. I will never forget my Grandfather who was also a 'Ford Guy'. He lived in Reseda, California and my older brother and I were living with them probably around summer 1976 or 1977, he was 15 years old at the time. He was very good at playing guitar and spent a lot of time playing the guitars at the local music store, there he met a girl who liked the way he played and he liked her very much too. She offered to take him to the beach later in the week, he was so excited she came by the house to pick him up in her Volkswagen Beetle, she got out of the car with her long blonde hair and he was very excited and they were ready to go. Then Grandpa came out and said, "Where the hell do you think you're going", my brother was like 'huh' and Grandpa says. "I didn't fight five years against those Germans to have my grandson go off in a German Car, you’re not going anywhere". Let’s just say he was devastated but I thought it was the funniest thing ever. :lol:

Yes those 'Ford Guys' are a rare breed. I don't think my Grandpa would have gone for a Chevy Volt but he would have appreciated the technology. He did buy my cousin a Honda Civic when she went to University and for whatever reason he liked those Honda's too (probably because he liked the reliable Honda 2-Stroke motors a lot). He eventually forgave the foes of WW2 which is a good thing

6 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

Times do change. I will never forget my Grandfather who was also a 'Ford Guy'. He lived in Reseda, California and my older brother and I were living with them probably around summer 1976 or 1977, he was 15 years old at the time. He was very good at playing guitar and spent a lot of time playing the guitars at the local music store, there he met a girl who liked the way he played and he liked her very much too. She offered to take him to the beach later in the week, he was so excited she came by the house to pick him up in her Volkswagen Beetle, she got out of the car with her long blonde hair and he was very excited and they were ready to go. Then Grandpa came out and said, "Where the hell do you think you're going", my brother was like 'huh' and Grandpa says. "I didn't fight five years against those Germans to have my grandson go off in a German Car, you’re not going anywhere". Let’s just say he was devastated but I thought it was the funniest thing ever. :lol:

Yes those 'Ford Guys' are a rare breed. I don't think my Grandpa would have gone for a Chevy Volt but he would have appreciated the technology. He did buy my cousin a Honda Civic when she went to University and for whatever reason he liked those Honda's too (probably because he liked the reliable Honda 2-Stroke motors a lot). He eventually forgave the foes of WW2 which is a good thing

Thanks for your story, Matthew.  However, you may have guessed that my story above really wasn't about Fords and Chevys...

1 hour ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Thanks for your story, Matthew.  However, you may have guessed that my story above really wasn't about Fords and Chevys...

Nah but all good, brought back memories of Grandpa and summer 1977 and my brother's broken heart. I still make fun of my brother today for it over a beer :lol:

Hello Stewart,

you of all people should know by now that owners of Chevy Volts will never stop

trying to convince everyone else that their decision was the only right one.

I'm sure there is another story about a Ford owner who once would never part

with his horse and cart.

Good analogy Stew. I used to think that my Ferrari was the only car for me. But a buddy of mine kept telling me about his Lamborghini and how that was the wave of the future. He told me it's time to get rid of the old technology and move on with the new. So, I bought a Lamborghini...drove it for a few hours...and promptly went back to my old tried-and-true Ferrari. Besides, I've invested heavily in a lot of extras for my old car and I just couldn't see starting all over again..........Doug

5 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Stewart,

you of all people should know by now that owners of Chevy Volts will never stop

trying to convince everyone else that their decision was the only right one.

I'm sure there is another story about a Ford owner who once would never part

with his horse and cart.

Indeed there is, Nick.  He finally gave up on his horse and cart when they could no longer keep up with the work load (if you catch my drift).

Yep My Grandpa the 'Ford Guy' was a farmer originally going back to a long linage of farmers from Brooks, Alberta. So yes @Nick Cooper is correct, they traded the horse and cart for a fine Ford product. When Grandpa finally sold the farm he retired to the sunshine in California, he had enough. He died in 2004 and when he died he still had a 1973 Ford Econoline Van and his 1990's era Ford Taurus, both with no air conditioning in the hot California sun. He was a nut bag alright, don't make em like that anymore B)

All this vehicle talk reminds me of my early days after the war.  Things were really tight and vehicle ownership was restricted.  Our neighbor, a nurse, had a little Morris Minor and my Granps drove a company vehicle - still in the warpaint I believe it was an Austin - it had a small bed with a canopy over.  The only two vehicles parked on a mile of roadway.

Archived