TrueEarth GBS P3DV4 Ram Usage

Jordan hogan

Credit where credit is due GBS looks stunning and performance is alot better FPS wise than i though it was going to be considering how good it looks.

Unfortunately, for me it took P3D memory usage sky high. i have 16GB of ram and i was using 15.8GB after loading in to EGKK with UK2000, Active sky, and FSLabs A319.

Loading into EGKK with same things without GBS 7.4GB....

With 15.8GB of RAM usage before even doing a flight i dont think it gunna stand much chance doing a flight as when i went to outside view the system ran out of memory.

Didnt see any specs regarding system specs, so just a warning to anyone who is looking to run GBS.

Thanks

Jordan

Hello,

please don't give up so easily.

Gatwick is one of the many airports and airfields close to London.

The TEGB version of London is highly detailed and of course uses

a larg amount of resources.

Despite the view of our press, there is a great deal of Great Britain that

does not revolve around London and you should be able to load and

fly elsewhere without running short of PC hardware resources.

P3D itself uses much more RAM since version 4.4 and its new ability to load

and display photoscenery properly for the first time.

Try unticking "Use high resolution terrain textures", this should let you

use the product, even at Gatwick.

This is mine at Gatwick with that box unticked and a lower scenery density.

1.jpg

Good morning,

I played in mind to deactivate/deinstall FTX England and Wales too. For the lack between FTX Scotland and TEGBS openLC Europe could work as substitute. But I'm not sure dectivating them because during installation of TEGBS both of them were active and I don't know if some files of them will be used for a proper TEGBS. If somebody could confirm that I don't need both older FTX regions underneath I would put them away.

Kai

Well I'd just like to chime in and say after a successful install, you guys deserve a pat on the back.  There's a few things I could offer suggestions on to make it better, but over a quick cornwall flight with absolutely maximum P3D 4.4 settings I was getting between 35-90 fps and it looked and felt beautiful.   Well done.

Desktop-Screenshot-2019-02-09-09-27-17-6

4 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

All of South done and dusted already, Kevin? Wow, that 2080Ti must be super fast! :lol:

Lol of course not Chris, I'm actually having a blast with this now.  

Testing this (and other undisclosed) sceneries together I'm finding different variations of settings that are giving me a much smoother experience.  For example, I always used to run with either the internal frame limiter at unlimited, and vsync on,  or with frames limited to 30fps.  I tried using vsync on with frames limited to 50, at 50Hz on my display, and it coped with it exceptionally well.  To run at 4k, with no blurries or autogen loss (experienced so far!) at 50fps, with the GPU at 60% is BEAUTIFUL.  Now I accept that is without AI, and not in a complex aircraft particularly, so compromises will need to be made for different types of flying....

On 2/14/2019 at 9:02 PM, Jordan hogan said:

@Nick Cooper What is actually put into memory?

If i load P3D in GBS area RAM shoots up to 90% usage.

If i then use Process Lasso to trim the memory its drop massively and then only climbs back up to about 70% and everything seams to work fine?

Is there something that is being put into RAM that doesnt need to be?

Jordan you wouldn't have happened to have manually added TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 to your config file?  Reason Im asking is mine was always set at 9 but the other day I changed it to 10 to get the highest quality textures.  Load times in True Earth Netherlands were huge on an SSD (Im aware they are a lot longer anyhow), my system ran out of memory very quickly.  I have 16 GB but the sim crashed out with the memory warning when its process reached just over 9 GB, there was still a few GB available according to the Tast Manager.  I knew Texture_Size_EXP affects VRAM usage but didnt know it also has a major impact on system ram.

Chris Ibbotson

5 hours ago, cjibbotson said:

Jordan you wouldn't have happened to have manually added TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 to your config file?  Reason Im asking is mine was always set at 9 but the other day I changed it to 10 to get the highest quality textures.  Load times in True Earth Netherlands were huge on an SSD (Im aware they are a lot longer anyhow), my system ran out of memory very quickly.  I have 16 GB but the sim crashed out with the memory warning when its process reached just over 9 GB, there was still a few GB available according to the Tast Manager.  I knew Texture_Size_EXP affects VRAM usage but didnt know it also has a major impact on system ram.

Chris Ibbotson

No mate. Dont touch my config anymore. Never really saw any benefit. but thanks for this anyway :)

Jordan 

Archived