The Cold War continues

Adam Banks

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent Adam!  The first half of the first one looks like an F-4 and the second one looks like an F-111 what I used to work on.

My father was an F-111 mechanic.  Several duty stations before I came into the picture.  McClellan and Cannon for me growing up.  He retired in 1990ish after 23 years in.

30 minutes ago, medx421 said:

My father was an F-111 mechanic.  Several duty stations before I came into the picture.  McClellan and Cannon for me growing up.  He retired in 1990ish after 23 years in.

Cool!  What did he do?  I worked autopilot and flight control systems.  I did eight years, three at Upper Heyford and five at Mountain Home.  When I was leaving Heyford I put in for McClellan and got it but a week before I was supposed to go there the guy whom I was supposed to replace reenlisted.  I was bummed out because it would have been depot level maintenance and no more rubber face, if you know what I mean.

Adam, your comment that the early Soviet fighters looked malevolent really rings true. As one of their pilots said, all they were was the most powerful engine available strapped to the biggest guns the engine could carry and then surrounded by enough roughly riveted metal to stay airborne. As for the pilot? Comfort was not considered.

@Jack Sawyer I believe he did mostly engines if I recall.  I'll have to go back and ask him.  He did time at UH too.  I guess that would have been in the mid 70's as he married my mom in '79 when I was four.  Growing up around planes definitely spurred a love for aviation.  Different times back then being able to go around the hangars, sit out at Base Ops and watch all the transients come in, visits to the tower and RAPCON, and even a few simulator visits.  When he retired, he was done with rubber face, and became a chef.

3 minutes ago, medx421 said:

@Jack Sawyer I believe he did mostly engines if I recall.  I'll have to go back and ask him.  He did time at UH too.  I guess that would have been in the mid 70's as he married my mom in '79 when I was four.  Growing up around planes definitely spurred a love for aviation.  Different times back then being able to go around the hangars, sit out at Base Ops and watch all the transients come in, visits to the tower and RAPCON, and even a few simulator visits.  When he retired, he was done with rubber face, and became a chef.

Man, I loved the RAPCON, I had a friend there and we'd play the latest Infocom adventure games on our Apple II's.  Yeah, those were good day, I really miss them.  But I do NOT miss rubber face :lol:

6 hours ago, macca22au said:

OK, rubberface stands for which unpleasant duty?

Hi Ian, when I was in the Air Force we had to play war games almost once a month.  It was a week where we prepared for NBC warfare, Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical.  So we had to wear gas masks which were made of black rubber.  So we all had rubber faces, it was basically derision at the gas mask.  I used to make the guys laugh by saying, "Yeah, a gas mask is gonna protect me from a one million degree centigrade fireball".  But, as much as I hated it I'd go back in time and do it all over again.

Archived