Track IR5

Ken Hall

Guest J van E

The reflector thingy: do you mean the TrackClip Pro of those stickers you have to put on a cap? If you mean stickers, than the TrackClip will work a lot better already.

I don't own the TIR5 but the TIR4 and though I am sure the TIR5 will be better, I doubt if it will be so much better that the difference is really noticable in FSX and that you should buy a new one if your current one still works. I am totally satisfied with the TIR4 and prices aren't low so... I will definitely stick with my 4 until it's dead. I rather spend the money on things like PNW. ;)

I do use the version 5 software though.

I agree with J van E on this point.  First get the TrackClip Pro then download the TIR5 software, (Free) from Natural Point.  It works without a hitch with the TIR4 Pro hardware.

The 'reflector thingy' works but the TrackClip Pro is much better as an interface device and background light will not matter anywhere near as much with it.

:)

The 'reflector thingy' works but the TrackClip Pro is much better as an interface device

I think you have to qualify 'much better'. The hat clip works fine (I don't know where the idea of 'stickers' came from).  It has the advantage of being wireless and not needing a headset. Yes, you need to be aware of strong ambient light & heat sources but if you make sure there aren't any it is very reliable.

Guest J van E

I think you have to qualify 'much better'. The hat clip works fine (I don't know where the idea of 'stickers' came from).  It has the advantage of being wireless and not needing a headset. Yes, you need to be aware of strong ambient light & heat sources but if you make sure there aren't any it is very reliable.

Thanks for qualifying 'much better' yourself. :P Okay, you don't need a headset but you need a cap or something, right? I always fly (or game) with a headset so for me that's no problem. But yes, I can imagine it could indeed be a problem for others. Apart from the things you've mentioned (lights, heat) I've understood from reviews that the TrackClip is more precise...

Ken, I have a trackIR 5 and a trackclip pro on order.I ordered from PCAviator in AU as I couldn't find them in NZ. Should be here this week.

Will let you know how they work. If there's any problems I'll be the first to find them.

I'm an expert on finding problems ;D

Jack

Well I am going to throw a spanner into the works here, You could do what I have done and simply upgrade the software to Track IR5 (works much better with the TrackIR 4 that the original) I have the spring steel clip that attaches to a regular Cap or similar, but what I did do was make my own version of the track Clip Pro using 3 IR LED's and run them off a USB port.

Works a treat.

Cheap upgrade too.

Track IR 5 is the only version I've ever had but I recommend it, it has a wider field, it is the very best.

Read the Track IR forums, it is recommended.

Maurice, that sounds very interesting, could you post a pic, I like to try that. Very innovative of you to think of that one!

Crikey  get yourself 3 IR Diodes from your local Dick Smith or Jaycar outlet, canabalise a USB lead and Verify with a multi meter the voltage which should be 5 V DC  this is across Pin 1 5V+ and Pin 4 Ground

Posted Image

Be VERY Careful as the average USB Port will only supply 500Ma which is whay I always use a powered USB Hub to run my Yoke etc.

The Diodes I used are from Jaycar CAT. NO. ZD1946 Posted Image and these are placed in series with a 5 K resistor to reduce the forward current see diagram, Posted Image.

Then mounting these on soft wire in roughly the same arrangement as the Track clip Pro. MAKE sure you select the Track clip option in the tracking software.

Bingo you now have a low cost Track IR5 .

NOTE :-  If attempting this project you might like to start with a 10 or 15K resistor in place of the 5 and drop down as needed  NEVER have less than 2-5 K in series anyway as this could overload the USB port

Also you WILL NOT see any light as these are Infra Red but if you have a Web Cam they will show there and of course in the Track IR panel , so you can vary the brightness by changing the resistance and there by the accuracy of tracking.

Track IR 5 is the only version I've ever had but I recommend it, it has a wider field, it is the very best.

Read the Track IR forums, it is recommended.

I like the idea of a wider firld of view, I do have the steel clip with the 3 reflectors on it, it works fine  but I find that I'm streching for that extra angle, without having to look at rhe screen from the corner of my eye( might end up a with shifty look).

Thanks for the replies fellas, I guess it's $$$ verses improvement, will upgrade the drivers to TrackIR5 and give that a go. The ambient light doesn't seem to be a problem, it,s really quite smooth, just not enough range of view.

cheers

Ken

Maurice, I officially induct  you as an official member of the elite "Wile E. Coyote Super Geuius Club". No need to blow your self up as the President "Mr Wile E" does so before each meeting. It is hard to keep the membership up as lab accidents seem to lessen membership.  :P  Thanks for posting.

Maurice, I officially induct  you as an official member of the elite "Wile E. Coyote Super Geuius Club". No need to blow your self up as the President "Mr Wile E" does so before each meeting. It is hard to keep the membership up as lab accidents seem to lessen membership.  :P  Thanks for posting.

It's a pretty darn cool compliment Maurice.  8)

You did a great job explaining how to make an ir tracking unit. I am very impressed. Wile E. Coyote is a character, inventor who was always thinking of ways of capturing the Road Runner. My humor may be off tonight, but ment as a complement. You always provide great technical responses to many questions. A real asset to this forum to say the least.  This is keeping with the theme of flying. Notice the high FPS! Coyote Super Genius: ACME Batman's outfit

Ah I see now ,

I have a Track IR 4 and it runs very nicely with the track IR 5 Software and I did an experiment with three TV remotes and noticed that the IR transmitter's would make the Track IR move, so I thought I'd just buy a Track clip Pro but the postage was twice the device price until Adrian started to stock them. Anyway in the intervening time I made mine with IR diodes since I figured that that was all the Track Clip Pro was doing apart from it's possible ability to talk back to the PC which of course mine does not it works a treat.

Remember though if you build this into a Cap for instance you might well have to reverse it ie two LED's on your forehead and one in the centre of the cap brim, but I don't know how this would work as I replicated the Track Clip using capillary copper tube from an old oil gauge line with the wires and tube soldered to a small piece of circuit board then this was attached to a mini bulldog clip and attached to my headphones. the Headset impromtu Track Clip Mouse and Keyboard all run off a powered hub an the left of the PC bench this then comes from one Port on the MoBo but All is powered from the Hub taking load off the PC's ports.

Also remember the movement of the LED's on the side of your head (Track Clip Pro) are less in relation to each other than the reflectors of the spring clip on a Cap brim so you might have to tune a LOT to get it to replicate movement well, this is due to their position relative to the centre of rotation ie your neck.

The Track Clip Pro moves backwards and forwards relative to the camera with the single LED far out in front moving quite a bit while the other two stay fairly still. I'd say this was allowed for in the software otherwise they would not have the ability to switch from Track Hat to Track Clip.

What I plan to do with your design, is install the Diodes within a baseball cap. Run the wires hidden / sewn in the cap with the USB lead exiting from the rear of the cap. A custom Track IR baseball cap. That way get rid of the very usefull but goofy looking reflector clip. Save $$ on having to buy the stock Track IR wired unit, and end up with a far better fit and functioning IR device. Your idea of using 3 x Diodes is brilliant. That type of thinking outside the box with gear modification very exciting. The diodes present a small footprint, thus incorporating it within the cap itself will make for nice custom unit.

Yes mate a far safer choice too because any current load need for devices is driven by the USB Hub Power supply and NOT the MoBo.

Also if you have a device fail, due to the isolation internally in the hub you are generally less likely to suffer damage to the MoBo as a result of that peripheral device failure.

Now without a powered Hub if you had a device fail electrically you could end up overloading the MoBo socket and possibly damage the MoBo itself.

I have received trackir 5 and trackclip pro and am pleasantly surprised at the vast improvement over the previous version.

Firstly no problems with light. With the earlier version I had to be in a dark room with the curtains drawn to use it.

Secondly. I don't have to keep a finger on the centralise key. Just a movement of the head and it sorts itself out.

And thirdly. I don't have to wear a stupid cap. I am still conscious of the bits hanging off my headset, but am learning to tolerate them.

And the set up is simplicity itself. No need to spend hours sorting out green lights. Just get them somewhere near and it works fine. If it needs adjusting a slight movement of the monitor is all that's needed.

What I realy like is it works in 2d cockpit as well as vc. I like the minimal panel showing all the time.

There are a couple of things I can complain about.

1. The camera does not sit properly on the top of my monitor. I have a piece of double sided sticky tape up there and the thing sits stuck on quite well.

2. The thingamey that carries the three diodes is very fragile. I alredy have mine locked in position with selotape.

It needs careful handling. It's not safe to drop your headset or throw it at the wall.

Overall I recommend it to anyone who is hesitating.

Jack

Hello all,

I've had TIR5 for a few months now and have had no probs with it, up until I started getting serious with FSX.

I have posted in the Natural point support forums, but I have yet to have a reply, so I hope you don't mind my posting here.

TIR5 works fine with DCS: Blackshark. I pan, tilt and zoom fine and re-centre view. All good.

However, recentre in FSX is a no go.

I have used the default key and mapped my own re-centre key (numpad 5), as well as deleting all relevant key bindings in FSX related to numpad 5. This does not help, and recentre does not work in full window FSX.

However, when I alt+enter and fly windowed, with the TIR5 GUI open as well (dual monitor), re-centre works.

It's like my TIR5 profile is being ignored when in FSX full screen mode.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. :)

Never heard of that.  Mine works a treat.  Latest driver?  USB 2.0?  Different USB port?  Powered USB port?  Checking that the three green dots are lined up vertical in middle of screen?  Clip and sensor aligned?  I mapped the End key to recentre, works a treat.  I have a suspicion the number keys aren't he best choice as you can have Num Lock on or off.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply, njowod, but as I stated, it works in DCS Blackshark, but not in FSX. All drivers are up to date.

TIR5 GUI also responds to my re-centre input. Also, I've reset to the default input of F12 and removed to FSX binding of overhead view.

Still nothing.

EDIT: to clarify, I have full 6DOF in FSX, but no re-centre ability.

Just a heads up - be very careful when unpacking it, as it's very fragile. The wires connecting the clip to the IR LED gimble thingy are very fine.

Still haven't sorted the re-centre issue out. I'll leave it for now, as I have a Sim-specific PC in the wings. A fresh install of everything must count for something.

Archived