They shall not grow old

Guest Colin M

Guest Colin M

A documentary about World War I with never-before-seen footage to commemorate the centennial of the end of the war, this has been post processed, colourized and sound added and its been done extremely well IMHO, going to go see this at Inverness cinema.

Yes there's a lot on about WW1 at the moment.  Unfortunately, it seems to assume more importance that WW2 at the moment and I don't really think that's right.  WW2 was the war that impacted on and  is within the living memory of a lot of people alive today and for those of us who experienced it, the memories are far more poignant.

John

6 hours ago, Colin M said:

A documentary about World War I with never-before-seen footage to commemorate the centennial of the end of the war, this has been post processed, colourized and sound added and its been done extremely well IMHO, going to go see this at Inverness cinema.

Wow this looks amazing. I have see Peter Jackson's WW1 collection of vehicles and airplanes and it is very impressive. Leave it to him to make this sort of thing, he has a passion for it, and you bet he isn't making any money from this. 

Guest Colin M

Mostly surprised its the younger generation I know that is grasping this, the older gents seem less interested ... this is really something special, its not a general movie release, will make its way to BBC or suchlike eventually though.

In NZ in the Sixties, when I was a girl, the old WW1 diggers were the senior generation of Returned men, although there were a few Boer War veterans still going. I heard a few stories about France from them

Yes, as a young man my conclusion was that Kitchener was a butcher and totally unaware of the cost of his methods.  Unlike one of the generals in WW2 who said; 'We don't want to do that, it will cost too many lives.  Find another way.'   Mind you, it didn't stop the carnage when charging the beaches in Normandy.

Blimey Rodger, you've depressed me!.

John

I don't need to read a novel about those times Matthew.  It would be too depressing.  My Grandfather told me enough to know that for millions, life was very, very hard and a struggle to get enough to eat and find shelter.   I also lived in the east end of London from before the  WW2 and witnessed what life, and indeed, death, if not from the war, deseases such as diptheria, TB (which was rife in those poor districts), pneumonea etc could do to cut down the population.

It was only after WW2 with politicians like Churchill, Beveridge, Bevin and Bevan, and I suppose Attlee, that things started to get better with housing, adequate food becoming available and plenty of work, that life became so very much better for the masses.

I'm proud to announce to all and sundry, I now pass my spare time reading romance novels (not sex rubbish), flying of course and watching Strictly Come dancing and Dr.Who on television.

By the way, glad to see you here Cathy and welcome.  It would be nice to get a woman or two on here.  Could Sue be tempted back d'you think?

John

Looking forward to this compiled movie by a skilled and devoted person about a terrible time in my grandfathers' and great uncles' times - I still remember all their tales from childhood ANZAC days here in Australia concerning Gallipoli and the Somme.  They all served and survived and without exception died young from the after effects of their WWI and Great Depression experiences - I have outlived them all in terms of life years thanks to their sacrifice.  Here in Australia my parents generation of WWII diggers always deferred to the hard experience of the WWI diggers and their families.

May be most of  us  are of the lucky generations and never new the hardship our Parents  and Grands Parents  had to endure . I still piecing together the life story  of my  father as he hardly ever spoke about the atrocities  of WW2  and my GrandMa in WW1 never heard  of GrandPa  again  We  don't know  where he died of  where he  is buried .  My Grand Father  name is  engraved on a memorial in his  home village  in Alsace (France) I  regret , that , as  a kid  I never  really understood the true meaning of the commemorations 

Charles 

6 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I can imagine it but cannot comprehend it. Hope I never experience it.

So Right , Lets  hope that  the rest of  our life and of  our children  we live  in PEACE

Archived