ORBX, confused

Sky_1

Hello everyone, 

I'm new to Prepar3d, I hope I opened the thread in the right place 

I'd like to purchase ORBX but I'm not sure which one 

There are many products, like FTX Global Base Pack, FTX Global Vector, Open LC, etc

If i have, for example, Global Base Pack, do I need Vector or Open LC, also? 

I want to mention, i do not fly airliners

Only bush planes and military aircrafts, most of the time, very very low flight 

What would you recommend, guys? 

My budget is about 350 euro ( for now) for sceneries, ORBX, etc. 

Thank you very much, in advance 

16 minutes ago, Sky_1 said:

So, if I buy Global, Open LC and Vector, should be okay? 

Short answer is yes.  FTX Global Base, Vector, and the OpenLCs compliment each other and will greatly improve the scenery in P3D.

A bit more detail:

Orbx basically has two ranges of products. The FTX Global products and the FTX Region products.

The FTX Global products (Global Base, Vector, and the OpenLCs) each replace different layers of the default P3D scenery for the entire globe (or a very large area in the case of the openLCs).

The FTX Regions contain all the layers, but for a smaller area.  They also contain some extra elements.

If you fly all over the place, I recommend starting with the Global products. 

If you do the majority of your flying inside one of the Regions (Pacific Northwest, England, Southern California,...)  I would buy that region first.

The Global products and Regions are compatible with each other, so if you start by buying the Global line, you can still add a Region on top of it later if you want to.

Here is a pic from Orbx's FTX Definitive Guide that explains how P3D scenery works and how Orbx products fit in.

Orbx region vs global.jpg

The Orbx Definitive Guide goes into more detail and has some pictures too.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=34397

Page 17 is where an explanation of the scenery elements starts, followed by descriptions and screenshots explaining how the various Orbx products fit in.

If you don't have a 3rd party terrain mesh (like FS Global 2010 FTX Edition), I suggest getting one if you ever fly outside the US.  There are many payware options out there and also some free ones.  I use FreeMeshX and it works great.

In general, yes, but depends on where you like to fly. If you like the U.S. West coast, for example, you may do better with one or more regions. The regions are complete stand alones. If on the other hand you prefer an area not covered by a region, your selection is best. Do not forget the freeware airports.

Ken

I'd like to fly over Europe and US, for the beginning 

As I said, I do like bush planes and military aircrafts ( jets ) and I fly a lot, very very low 

That's why I asked what to buy...

I would really like to have good looking terrain ( grass, trees, etc ) 

Thank you very much 

That is, of course your choice. But buy the purchase you mention and try it for awhile. Come the next sale (probably around the end of the year) you will have a better idea of what you want.  Still, get the PNW trial. This will help you understand the relationship between the regions and other Orbx products.  Also note the currency exchange rates; you'll find that ORBX is quite affordable.  Note that ORBX prices are quoted in Australian dollars. To get a better idea of how this all works together look at the product map link at the bottom of the product page.  This should help you choose.

Ken

1 hour ago, Sky_1 said:

Okay, I will buy Global, Open LC and Vector 

But if I have those, do I need to buy some european countries, like Germany North / South , Ireland?! 

Sky_1,

I highly recommend taking a look at the Orbx Definitive Guide.  Not only does it explain the products, but it also includes comparison screenshots.

You can see how each product changes how the scenery looks. 

You can also see comparisons between Global Base + Vector + oLC versus a FTX Region.

Here is a comparison of Southampton England from the Guide..

760287325_Orbxcompare.thumb.jpg.c71feb02c0d80278ea37c0197206b5b2.jpg

You have said that you like low flying. 

In general, the overall "look" of [Global Base + Vector + openLC + mesh] will be very similar to a FTX Region.  Depending on where you are, you may be hard pressed to tell the difference.  Looking at the screenshots above, the "look" is very similar, but the Region has more accurate placement of some trees, hangars, and buildings.

Region will typically also include some photoreal points of interest, some custom 3D objects or landmarks, and will upgrade the airports within that region.

Lots of good advice above. 

Personally to get the maximum detail when flying low I would go with the regions.

Perhaps start with the PNW and try it out.

There are a number of freeware orbx airports available for it as well as some great payware ones.

Archived