New Video Card Recomendations

Now that we are getting into True Earth Technology with P3Dv4, I am going to need a video card upgrade as mine keeps giving the blurries. 

My current system is:  i7-4790K  / ASUS Z97-A / EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB / G.SKILL Sniper 16GB 2400mhz / Samsung 840 Series SSD / Win10-64 / P3Dv4

The GTX760 isn't enough anymore so I am looking at this one: EVGA GeForce GTX1080 SC 8GB GDDR5 Gaming Graphics Card , DVI+HDMI+ 3xDisplay ports 

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGAEVG6183/EVGA-GeForce-GTX1080-SC-8GB-GDDR5-Gaming-Graphics

Just wondering what others are using, bare in mind I live in New Zealand and we pay a lot more for video cards and have a lot less availability :(

I have a very similar system to you which was running a GTX 980. The 4790K is still a good cpu and is still able to cope with top-end GPUs so I opted for a GTX 1080Ti. I did pay over the odds for it at the time (Jan) but still consider it a worthwhile spend.

Results have been generally smoother flight and most noticeably completely sharp textures. In fact I hadn't realised I had some blurring with the older gpu until I saw terrain textures consistently at full resolution! Also when panning views in demanding scenery, particularly complex airports with lots of AI traffic, used to often result in black textures on some objects for a second or two while the gpu caught up. This has now been almost completely eliminated.

Unfortunately I can't say from experience if a GTX 1070 would produce quite as good a result but most of the reliable information I have seen suggests it would particularly coming from what you presently have.

It seems prices are coming down now in the UK, not sure if this translates to New Zealand.

Hi Matthew the 1080 is a good choice, better still would be a 1080ti, but that’s if you can afford one. Not sure about price difference  though and I see some one has said the same. Good luck. Derek.

Yes I got a Galax GeForce GTX 1080Ti EX OC White 11264MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card around a year ago cant fault it whatsoever, Overclockers uk had a one day special on this it cost me £680 I cant believe how much the card is now £900 but as I say I cant fault this card to me a well worth investment for me.

I moved up to 4K so needed a good card to run at 4K.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kfa2-geforce-gtx-1080ti-ex-oc-white-11264mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-09j-kf.html

cheers

Iain

GX09JKF_164996_750x750.jpg

21 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

Yea the Ti's are closer to $1500, the GTX1080's have dropped from around $1200 to $950 or so, since I am running the older  i7-4790K I don't want to invest to much into it

If you dont' want to invest much into it, those GPU recommend here are an absolute overkill imho. You might also consider a good offer regarding a GTX-1060 with 6GB VRAM. Or, you check the second-hand market for a reasonably priced 980Ti. Both GPUs (1060 6GB and 980Ti) would already be a huge leap forward compared to your current GTX-760...

Otherwise, you reconsider your "not investing much" in regard of future upgrade plans of CPU and stuff. Then I would also recommend going for the 1080Ti. If you then upgrade the rest of your rig in one or two years, you can carry the 1080Ti over to the new build.

You and I have essentially the same system. I'm using a GTX 970 with P3Dv4.0 and Netherlands True Earth and have absolutely no complaints. As I write this I'm 30 minutes into a low-and-slow flight out of EHAM (FSX default C172 at 5000 AGL).  All the scenery sliders are full right. Framerates are 30-40 FPS and the maximum GPU memory used to this point is 2.591GB. All mileage is, of course, variable but I have yet to find any valid reason to replace this card with something "better".........Doug

There are rumours that the next GTX generation will be introduced at the GamesCon in August 21. When that happens the prices of the older generations tend to decrease a lot. So if you aren't in a hurry you can probably save some money.

2 hours ago, Triplane said:

As I write this I'm 30 minutes into a low-and-slow flight out of EHAM (FSX default C172 at 5000 AGL).  All the scenery sliders are full right. Framerates are 30-40 FPS and the maximum GPU memory used to this point is 2.591GB.

Means: no shadows and no antialiasing, clear skies without any cloud and no AI traffic. Otherwise those 30-40 FPS are simply impossible. I get 20FPS flying out of EHAM (FlyTampa) without all scenery sliders to the right, but with the A2A Cessna 172, with AI traffic, almost all shadows active, 4xSSAA, REX Clouds and real weather via Active Sky.

I had a GTX 1070 and replaced it last year with a GTX1080Ti.

The 1070 was totally fine with P3Dv4, but the 1080Ti is faster and better.

Interestingly, as I have a 4k monitor, more than 6GB is worthwhile. But I have not yet exceeded 8GB with my normal settings. Usually 6GB to 8GB of video card memory are used with a complex aircraft over detailed scenery.

I'm running this GTX 1070 with the recommended 8GB of VRAM and it's easily coping with me having the sliders settings over to the right. (CPU is a different story).
To future-proof yourself, I would ensure that you pick up a new card that is no lower than LM's recommendation and as Vora suggested, try and wait a few weeks after the new GTX cards have hit the market - you'll pick yourself up a bargain!

I know you guys are all talking nvidia, but I personally run a Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8GB, overclocked using MSI Afterburner to core clock speed of 1500 and memory clock of 2250, and I get excellent results for the price I paid ..... it matches a 1070, yet I got a deal and paid $200 AUD less than the equivalent 1070 was.

6 hours ago, AnkH said:

Means: no shadows and no antialiasing, clear skies without any cloud and no AI traffic. Otherwise those 30-40 FPS are simply impossible. I get 20FPS flying out of EHAM (FlyTampa) without all scenery sliders to the right, but with the A2A Cessna 172, with AI traffic, almost all shadows active, 4xSSAA, REX Clouds and real weather via Active Sky.

I've thought long and hard about this post. I suppose I could give you a detailed explanation of the graphics settings, ambient temperature at the equator, and the phase of the moon in the southern hemisphere. But  I really don't think it's even worth that much of as response. I'll just say I'm sticking to my original post, especially since all mileage is variable. It's too bad that your experience is so much worse than mine. .....peace.....Doug

Thanks everyone for your help. I was on the fence between the GTX1070Ti and the GTX1080, I ended up with the GTX1080 because it had the biggest price drop recently and was only $60 more then the GTX1070Ti at this point. I have installed it and as a benchmark did an approach into Sydney with ORBX and FlyTampa YSSY using the PMDG NGX, as this is notoriously bad on frame rates. I was jumping around 30 to 45 fps over Sydney and it went down to around 20 to 25 fps on short final. I consider this great as this was with everything at stock settings and no overclocking yet, also with the GTX760 it would always crash over Sydney with the dxgi_error_device_hung message so this is no longer a problem. Once I get the new hardware overclocked somewhere around 4.4ghz to 4.6ghz it should be more then enough for the next few years anyways. Very happy so far and what a major difference compared to the GTX760 :o

Anyone else out there thinking of upgrading this card has worked well for me so far....

Cheers B)

Archived