The engine music of aircraft

Hi all, not that I'm bragging, but yesterday a B--25 came in low over our apartment on its way into Fairchild Air Force Base. Today it was a P-51. Tomorrow I think a  B-24 is scheduled. It's all part of an annual summer tour by one of the flying Heritage groups that display legacy planes each summer. As I was listening to the big Pratt engines of the bomber and the Merlin of the Mustang, I was struck by how much I enjoy hearing those classic engine sounds--both in reality and in flight sim. My question is--which aircraft engine sounds touch you and why?  (my favorite is the Wright Cyclone sound of the B-17. Takes me back to childhood when we would see B-17 flights go over our home)

I work (part time now - used to be full time) at Old Bethpage Village Restoration, a living history museum about 5 miles from KFRG (Republic), and live about 10 miles from it. This is the home of The American Airpower Museum.  The museum has a flying T6, B25  and C47 which fly over frequently. During summer holiday weekends special events include visiting aircraft like the B17, and this week newly restored B29 "Fifi" will be in town. I get a ringside seat to see these great old birds fly over. Always a great thrill!  Rodger, I can't agree with you more: the sound of those big radicals is stirring! I can't say that any is more impressive than another, but with any you can't help notice.

Ken

Most opposed cylinder aircraft engines sound 'busy' - the expression "all wound up like a dollar watch" comes to mind.  On the other hand the round radial engine has a comforting sound more tuned to the beat of my heart.  My first round engine checkout was a C195 with the 300 hp Jake.  Takeoff power was pure hang on to your hat but, after reducing MP and RPM's, just a loaf along sound that made you wonder "how can we be doing this good with so little noise?".

Today heard and saw B 29 "Fifi" fly over the museum where I work. Marvellous! I tried to get a picture or two, but that bird is FAST.  Was gone before I could turn my camera on. Not like the B 17 which lumbers along. I'll try again tomorrow.  If I get anything decent I'll post it. Not as loud as I'd expected.  Later a B 25 flew over and was louder. Still very impressive.

Ken

Archived