Menu bar unreadable

Hello Anthin

If Nicks suggestion does not work this Issue of a garbled menu is possible due to a corrupt dll.xml file

You can test this by Clicking and Dragging the complete dll.xml file out of the location below and put it safety onto your desktop

After you do this then launch FSX and test.  If this does not work you can simply click and drag this file back again.   

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Roaming ► Microsoft ► FSX  -  Dll.xml 

Hello Anthin

Try these steps one by one and test as you go along.......

.Open your Graphics panel Nvidia or Radeon and Reset the values back to default again and click Ok.  If your using Nvidia Inspector also Reset this as well 

.Delete the FSX.cfg file and let it generate again, located here:   AppData ► Roaming ► Microsoft ► FSX ► FSX.cfg 

.Update or reinstall your Graphics driver ensuring you Tick the box for  "Perform a clean Installation"  when prompted the option 

Hello Elaine.

I have tried all your suggestions without

any luck.I also installed latest drivers for

my gtx 970. repeated again your suggestions

but no change.

I just remembered this morning, that when I 

reinstalled fsx the menu bar was fine.restarted computer

and installed the acceleration disc,tested it and the menu

bar was corrupt.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

Anthin.

Guest Colin M

Hi Anthin,

Just did a quick search and found someone else with a problem very similar to yours, they fixed it by deleting the fsx.cfg and then restart FSX to let it build a new one and it worked for him ... But, please back up your original fsx.cfg just in case, just copy it .... NOT the one on your desktop that must be a shortcut, go to C:\users\YOURNAME\appdata\roaming\microsoft   then copy your fsx.cfg and paste it somewhere safe, then go back to C:\users\YOURNAME\appdata\roaming\microsoft and delete fsx.cfg, then start FSX let it fully load up, perhaps do a quick flight and it will build a new fsx.cfg, if that does not work simply delete the newly created fsx.cfg at C:\users\YOURNAME\appdata\roaming\microsoft again, copy your backed up fsx.cfg and paste it back in that location ... not saying this will work, but the problem I found on Google search is very similar to yours and so it has to be worth a try.

If it does work you will need to add back any fsx.cfg tweaks you might have had again of course and I would recommend you do that one at a time, test then add another if needed. You will also need to adjust your resolution and settings too.

Did you install FSX Gold over your standard FSX install BTW? I would really recommend a fresh install if that is what you did.

Good luck, hope you get it fixed.

FSX uses some special fonts for the menu bar.  They are on disk 1 of the install disks in the fonts folder.

Reinstall the fonts from that folder and make sure they are registered,  then all should be OK.

Windows can't find the correct fonts and is trying to make a substitution that doesn't work.

Had this problem years ago.

Just doing a comparison may not help.  A font file may be corrupted or just not installed in the registry.

Not knowing what O/S you are using.  I would copy all the fonts from the instal disk, only 15, into the FSX Fonts folder and then right click on each font file and select "Install".

This works for Windows 7.  Not sure about Windows 10.  You can Google "Installing Fonts in Windows (your O/S)".

If you go to the registry,  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Fonts, you can see all the fonts that are installed.  FSX fonts have to have an entry here.  I have the PMDG 737 NGX and 777 installed and the associated fonts show up here in the registry.

Hope this helps.

Archived