True earth download options

Rodneyprice

Hi Orbx , From what I have read so far it seems that the true earth areas are going to be huge downloads, the Netherlands I read is 77 gig download ,  at present I live in an area that doesn't have super fast downloads and I am sure there are many like me in that situation  ( Suggestion ) how about orbx make the option for purchase on a dvd package

FTXC3 supports download interruptions, so I think the idea is you just start the download and let it run until it's installed.  My download took 36 hours, which is not the fault of ORBX but somewhere in the pipeline to Australia the download speed was being limited to around 500KB/s, sometimes as low as 100KB/s.  I know this because another tester in a different state was getting 2-3MB/s.

But anyway sure it's a bit frustrating to have such a long download but I just got on with other things for the day and when I woke up in the morning it was all installed.

Hello,

here is mine.

It is unfortunate that not everyone has a fast internet connection.

Some years ago, I downloaded NL 2000 which was then around 33 GB.

It took a full seven days at 24 hours a day and was the first use I made of

Internet Download Manager.

It is not so very long ago that I replaced a 1mbps connection, downloading at 55 kbps

with a very expensive faster wireless connection, capped at 15GB per month.

Now, the village has a 37 mbps connection and unlimited but still not cheap.

You must decide how much you want to have the product, if your own connection is slow,

there is the option to take your own USB stick to a connection that is faster.

This is neither a lack of customer service not a reluctance to help, it is simply that it is not

within the remit or capability of an internet based service to solve individual internet connection problems.

Continually posting the same suggestion will not affect the outcome.

I’ve downloaded Netherlands HD twice now with my 30Mb/sec connection and both times it took about 5 hours 10 minutes for the download and then another 15 minutes for the extraction and installation phase.

So I’ll use my experience (Southern England, BT vDSL) as a basis of that you can expect:

<8Mb connection - anything up to a full day or more

8Mb stable connection - 22 hours total install time

16Mb stable connection - 11 hours 

32Mb stable connection - 5 hours

64mb stable connection - 2.5 hours

128Mb - about an hour or so.

I would suggest that you start the download in the afternoon and just go about your business doing something other than being at your PC, and also avoid using the internet such as streaming TV or music, and then come back to the PC the next day. In most cases it will have completed installation.I do exactly the same thing when downloading large purchases from Steam.

I would definitely avoid sitting at your PC watching the progress bar!

Orbx has its training wheels on with large photoreal products like these and we are actively thinking of solutions such as looking into summer-only releases and then adding season packs for sims that support it, or using a shader application to simulate seasons on one base layer. Either way, I think that adding all five seasons to anything larger than the Netherlands is probably going to be products too large for our customers to digest.

If you want to use your sim while downloading, I would recommend doing the manual download, then you can install it after you are done flying. That way FTXC does not install it or communicate with the simulator until you tell it to, which is when you are done flying.

But as John said, defiantly don't sit and watch the progress bar! [emoji846]

I have no problem downloading 77GB or 770GB. I am just curious why it's 77GB for such an area. Calculating from the existing similar scenery, 1m photoreal texture for such an area can be around 20GB, and the vegetation with custom material could be much smaller. 

7 minutes ago, John Venema said:

It’s because we have five season variants in the ground textures. If it was summer only it would be closer to 20GB or so.

Might there be a way to have FTX Central just download the summer textures and then download the rest of the season textures at a later time? Just a thought.

Might there be a way to have FTX Central just download the summer textures and then download the rest of the season textures at a later time? Just a thought.
Just for your understanding, seasons textures are embedded in one compressed file (bgl).

Just for your understanding, seasons textures are embedded in one compressed file (bgl).
Do I understand this correctly? The same BGL file is being used for each season, it is just calling different textures depending on the season selected?

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, caleb1 said:

Do I understand this correctly? The same BGL file is being used for each season, it is just calling different textures depending on the season selected?

Thanks.

No, all is inside the photoreal bgl. It doesn't call anything else outside

Guest Colin M

This is interesting to see as regards the forthcoming ORBX True Earth releases I'm looking fwd to, especially the Netherlands ... fortunately internet speed is not my problem at the moment with 78MB down and 20 MB up ... and I live in N E Scotland, really out in the stick area stuff :)  we did campaign hard for better as a community and eventually got it, but it was a slow long haul for sure.

Larger disk space is my more immediate concern about this new gen ORBX scenery tech, but I can deal with that too :)

Another suggestion if I may for distributing very large files is sharing, perhaps those of us with fast connections can save to a large USB stick and send to members of our community and they can then activate if this was allowed, for those on dial up or little faster it would work, but hey, just thinking aloud here.

The other option I can think of is to use torrents for the scenery downloads, now normally torrents are associated with piracy, but fear not, Microsoft themselves use torrents for distributing their OS's much faster, Eagle Dynamics with the DCS series also still do this, so long as you have a good valid license its fine ... torrents are actually quite efficient for folk with low internet speeds, you can switch it off and resume at your leisure, it will take time, but it is kinda reliable, get most of my latest MS Win 10 builds this way for when I need a new install and with my old key it works just fine.

Just some ideas, because I do want these large ORBX downloads to succeed.

Thinking back, we did have sort of a cottage industry scenery maker who did the Isle of Man and other UK islands, they hit upon the idea of very large size accurate textures for just one area of Scotland I think it was? their idea was for us to send in a HD, or they send us a HD with the scenery at cost, it never panned out though and company closed, and sad, because I loved their scenery ... I'm sure ORBX have done their homework and about how many of us have suitably up to speed connections, its the guys with the slower speed ones I'm worried about.

Archived