MM15 (Los Cabos) elevation issue April freeware download

It appears the problem is caused by a 3rd party terrain mesh (the reason we ask you to disable the AEC). Most of the freeware airports are designed to use default mesh for consistency. I may be able to extend the airport flatten out to help this. I may not get to it for a week or 2 but will see if I can help this problem. You could disable the terrain mesh while using this airport until I can try to fix it.

Larry

Larry,

I use Pilots mesh.

If you can fix this issue that would be great. It is not a big deal just curious how these things happen and how I can learn how to fix things.

Thanks again.

Rolf

Hello,

I can see a problem here, the real world elevation of this airport is 459 feet above sea level.

Larry's version is also 459 feet above sea level.

(In the screen shot, the elevation is 462.7 minus the height above the ground of the aircraft

centre of gravity, 3.9 feet = 458.8 feet.)

Even allowing for the airport being flat all around, it is difficult to escape the high probability

that at this location, it is in fact the mesh that is not accurate.

I am seeing exactly the same if I add "better" mesh. Higher resolution mesh does not guarantee

greater accuracy.

Untitled.jpg

Hi there,

actually, the other possibility is that the airport altitude is misreported and thus implemented incorrectly by the flightsim developers. The smaller the airport the more likely this is.

For example, Wikipedia reports it as 690 ft / 210 m ASL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabo_San_Lucas_International_Airport . Funnily, if you check both reference links on the page, the first lists 459ft and the second 690ft. The official airport website doesn't mention the altitude at all -- very diplomatic :ph34r:

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger.

I expect that you are quite right.:)

Google Earth has MM15 at 190 - 196 metres, around 643 feet but there is evidently a relatively steep slope

and perhaps up to 10 metres or more elevation differences on the airport itself.

Untitled.jpg

The Vector file has the MM15 airport at 341 feet and a little research reveals that this is nearer the elevation of MMSD,

Los Cabos International Airport. It would appear that a mistake might have been made.

MM15 Vector.jpg

This is the default MM15. 459 feet.

MM15.jpg

This is the default MMSD

MMSD.jpg

I

Rolf, the shots above are P3Dv4.2, it is now called AFM2, it does FSX and all P3D's.

If you have registered with Pilots you are entitled to download AFM2. I seem to recall it took a bit of searching on their site, but it is there.

It would indicate Nick is correct in it being a mesh problem and also about the terrain levels of the airport. A top down view shows a missing section of the taxiway to the right of the runway.

• 2 months later...

I tried to come up with a solution that could be added to the freeware airport packs but the large difference in elevation prevents this. The attached files are for those with terrain mesh for the Cabo San Lucas area only. They will cause problems with the appearance of the default terrain. Just add them to the FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS/Scenery folder. They will overwrite the existing files. Any updates to the Global Airports will overwrite these files so they will have to be reinstalled.

Larry

ADE_FTX_FTXG_MMSL.bgl

ADE_FTX_FTXG_MMSL_CVX.bgl

Archived