Bored?

I find this helpful, and relaxing.

I sometimes find myself alone, uptight, and a bit bored.. This was so this morning, and I found a cure, at least it's a cure for me as a dedicated low and slow oldie.

I chose an area where the aircraft can be trimmed to fly itself, (Victoria in AU for me) set a small single flying low and slow and set to about fifteen hundred or a  couple of thousand feet, then, ..open You tube, select a bunch of music and start it playing (for me this was Michael Marc, Spanish and classical guitar) minimize you tube,  turn down the engine noise in the sim, and just let the aircraft fly itself, or just casually control it and visit the many small towns and airstrips and POI whilst listening to your favorite music, magic.. It is relaxing, and pleasant..try it.. Teecee.

That's funny you should say that Teecee for I do exactly that (almost).

For me I go somewhere pleasant like the Rockies or French Alps in a nice 4-seater and use Plan-G to pick a path thru the mountains avoiding the terrain. Then feed all that into the G1000 and cruise low and slow down the valleys. I normally choose the Pipistrel Panthera or the Diamond DA62 and, once the flight is underway, I go sit in the back seat behind the pilot's chair. As my Oculus Rift headset works so well with the sim, I can rest my head against my study wall and "look out the window" as if I were there - something I do on those boring long-hauls across various "ponds".

I open my Pandora playlist that contains my "growing up" music. 

They wrote a lot of great music back in the war years and most of us are old enough to remember them.

It's hard to beat "Low and Slow" while listening to tunes that have so much meaning to us.  

Dale

Sort of on topic.  Once upon a time, I was flying a Bo from Nantucket to Danbury very early in the morning, 4:30 AM or so.  It was beautiful, stars overhead, Long Island Sound in the dark below, hand flying. The airplane had a sound system and I was listening to some tunes.  NY approach rang me up and he asked what I was listening to.  It was Elvis doing "Can't Help Falling in Love."

He said he figured it was something slow and rhythmic since I was making S-turns on his scope.  I realized that I must have been pushing on the rudder pedals in time with the music.

He told me to have a good flight.  It was a shame that night had to end.

I'll have to try it in the sim.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny stories - back in the seventies, flying out of Anchorage in a C120 my young son said "Turn me upside down Dad".  That bird isn't much on negative 'G's so we did a simple loop.  Approach had been monitoring my squawk and asked why I'd stopped moving.  Apparently while in a vertical circle the beacon target is stationary on the scope though I never admitted it - still inside his airspace.

Also back in the '70's, me and some buddies were headed to Yellowstone National Park. Stopped at this lake in Idaho...Big Bear?...that was advertising sea plane rides...cheap. Owner/operator of this WWll vintage Goose was a 'Nam pilot. Wind was howling, white caps, and there's four of us. He initially tried to take off downwind but no way. So he gets to the end of the lake and turns upwind. We get 5' off the water, 10', 15', smacking the water each time, and then we're flying! Man, this old crate vibrated like crazy.. My buddy noticed an un-clasped padlock in the overhead controls, grasped it, and asked what it was for. Pilot says, "don't touch that. Lever will vibrate back and we'll drop like a rock." Needless to say, nobody touched that padlock for the remainder of the flight.

Funny though, he's giving us the tour, right? That's so-and-so point, that mountain over there was named for Merriweather Lewis, etc. I said, "man, you must've lived here a long time, huh?"

He says "no, I'm from Delaware. Just got discharged from the Army a few months ago and bought this plane." LOL

I'm curious about the idea of flying to music. Do you find yourself just kind of gently drifting mentally, or do you think about matters that concern you, or do you revisit old memories, or all of the above? Sounds very relaxing. I just wonder if your mind focuses or unfocuses.

When I flew with music, it depended on the time of day and the place.  Around New York Center territory in the day, there was no music close to the city, background farther away -- not paying a lot of attention.  At night when it was quiet as far as traffic went,  it was sing along time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen this topic.  I always have the radio on while flying and listen to Smooth or Smooth Extra.  Lovely music.

However, I must say I'm never ever bored because I go from that to in between eating and then settle down to my Kindle Paperwhite with the current good story I'm reading.  I hardly notice my wife sitting becside me watching football or any other sport and playing Solitaire on her Kindle Fire.

I barely have time to go and gee the lads up at the golf club twice a week.

Now, where did last week go?!!

John

Archived