Monterey-KMRY: identical AI-Plane as mine parked

ikbenik

During a regular flight in California, I landed at Monterey airport KMRY in a Beech Bonanza A36(model from Carenado). I go to park my plane, on the way via the taxiway I observe a simular plane as mine, even with same registration, parked opposite to parkplace 'Parking 52' with running engine. I was curious and I parked left from him to compare. I was surprised that it was in same Carenado-quality. I was not flying in multiplayer, well the AI in P3Dv4.1 was engaged for 30%. How is possible to have a 'mirror'-plane next to mine?

Montereyairport-KMRYDoubleBeechBonanza-A

Thanks for any explanation, Johnny

47 minutes ago, ikbenik said:

Hello Nick,

Thank you for the quick response. So, if P3D uses AI-planes out of own installed aircrafts then I suggest a severe drop in performance in line with higher settings of wanted AI-planes ?

To clarify, the AI traffic only references stock airplanes that come with P3D. It won't automatically add third party aircraft you have installed. However P3D does come with a few former payware third party aircraft like the aforementioned Carenado A36 which are indeed quite heavy on the FPS, especially when you have several of them flying around and parked as AI traffic.

I highly recommend an alternative AI package with more framerate friendly, not to mention more varied models. Even though most AI packages focus on tubeliners, they also tend to include more varied and FPS friendly GA AI traffic. Since it seems the FTX NA GA AI package won't be updated any time soon, it's probably worth it to spend the money on an AI traffic package, though I can't mention any competitor's products here on the OrbX forum....

I 100% agree with Jimmi's comments - the default AI in P3D relies on a mix of legacy default FSX aircraft (which, whilst optimised to a degree, are not nearly as efficient as third-party dedicated AI models) and "default" P3D aircraft, all previous payware/freeware full-detail models such as the Bonanza. 

For this reason, the default AI traffic models in P3Dv2/v3/v4 are a massive drain on resources for little visual improvement - far far more than in FSX. Disabling or replacing these with well-designed third-party addons is definitely worth the consideration. 

Hello again.

Directly as a result of Jarrad's advice during testing for P3D v4,

I have replaced already the default AI aircraft with better freeware AI designed
models which has greatly improved things at no cost.

The problem remains when one wants to actually fly one of the P3D default aircraft

that is also used as AI, the decision then is is it good enough to fly and keep it or replace it

with something more AI friendly and fly something else.

I have kept the Maule wheeled version, disabled all the others and do indeed occasionally

see myself parked nearby.:)

Hello Nick,

How to replace the performance-draining AI-planes in P3D? I see only 'Commercial airliner' in the SimObjects/Airplanes folder that are only used as AI with the ugly liveries 'World Travel, Orbit and Pacifica. How to replace them with more suitable liveries?

I have for Orbx-Australia a whole set of 'FTX AU xxxx' planes in this folder and great for flying with AI in Australia. If I set the AI-slider(s) to zero has that effect on these AI-planes?

To keep AI as from several AI-files 'Traffic_FTX_xxxx' in folder 'Scenery/World/scenery' and disable the file 'TrafficAircraft.bgl' is this a good option to avoid that stock P3D-AI planes are involved?

Thank you for any advise. Regards.

Hello,

P3D seems to use the plane you were in, that led to this topic in the first place.

I don't know too much about AI add ons but one of them might be your best bet.

I have replaced all the airliners with AI dedicated aircraft but if I also activate GA

AI, I still see a selection of P3D defaults.

Yes, if you turn AI down to nothing, you will see no AI, regardless of where it comes from.

Archived