Cotswolds follys

VH-KDK

Installed the Chipmunk into V4 tonight and it is the perfect plane for looking for interesting things in the Cotswold Hills

FTX ENG, FTX Trees, P3Dv4, JF Chipmunk, REX TD EE.

1.gs1.jpg

Up and away from EGBJ Gloucestershire Airport.

2.gs2.jpg

Not far to go to see the first POI, the GCHQ in Cheltenham.

3.gs3.jpg

The Government Communications Headquaters built in 2003 is otherwise known as "The Doughnut"

4.gs4.jpg

It is an Intelligence and security organisation which is well known for it's code breaking exploits in WW2 at Bletchley Park.

5.gs5.jpg

Now leaving Cheltenham along the western edge of the Cotswold Hills.

6.gs6.jpg

The Broadway Tower is a folley on Broadway Hill, Worcestershire and was built for Lady Coventry in 1798-99

7.gs7.jpg

It was the idea of Capability Brown and designed by James Wyatt.

8.gs8.jpg

It stands 65ft tall and at the top is 1089ft asl. A memorial to the crew of a Whitley bomber which crashed in 1943 is nearby.

9.gs9.jpg

Passing the town of Evesham on the way to our next folly.

10.gs10.jpg

On the top of Bredon Hill is Parsons Folly built in the 1750s for John Parsons MP.

11.gs11.jpg

It was built as a summer house to take advantage of the spectacular views from the top of the 981 ft hill.

12.gs12.jpg

Today it is privately owned and leased out as a telecommunications tower with several aerials extending from it's top an is also in Worcestershire. You can just make it out above the stb wingtip!

13.gs13.jpg
A view of the Cotswolds at Ashton under Hill.

14gs14.jpg

Close to Stratford on Avon in Warwickshire, is the former RAF base at Long Marston. It was recently used as a week end market venue as well as for some flying.

15gs15.jpg

Sadly another old airport that is going to have houses built on. The dragstrip has also had to move.

A very enjoyable flight which I hope you liked too. Please feel free to leave your comments.

8 minutes ago, stewart1 said:

Well Martyn another interesting set of screen shots my friend with so many landmarks thanks for taking the time to share I enjoyed  thanks regards stewart 

Thank you Stewart for your appreciative comment.

7 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

I fully agree with Paul, Martyn

Was that really his first name? 

Thank you Bernd, happy you enjoyed the trip.

Lancelot Brown was a famous landscape gardener who often told his clients that their gardens had capability for improvement.

So there you go we have both learned something today!:)

Archived