Microsoft Visual Redist...etc

NeilG

Ive been avoiding asking this question because I suspect that it is a question that everyone else knows the answer to and I don't. Please put this down to my legendary ignorance of programming and coding. With many products that we obtain we also download Microsoft Visual C++ etc. That means in my case that I've got about 20 installed now. Now logically I would have thought that the only one to keep installed would be the latest but I cant say that I understand what they are so don't really know. Can someone tell me, do I need all of them or can I uninstall some?

I am no expert either and also have six different versions.

However, if you look in Programs and features in the windows

control panel, you will see that they are all very small.

I can see no potential benefit in saving a few mb of disk space versus the

potential downside of something not working.

My guess would be that they are not cumulative, logic would dictate that each

version should be larger than the last if that was the case.

I recommend leaving well alone from my position of ignorance.:) 

Hello Neil 

Most computers that run any type of software or flight sim software will have a full suite of Microsoft Visuals Installed.   For a default Prepar3d v3 you only need Visuals 2013,  For a default Prepar3D v4 you only need Visuals 2015  BUT you will need all the Microsoft visuals to accommodate the different 3rd party software you have Installed 

• 3 months later...
On 17/08/2017 at 1:55 AM, NeilG said:

Ive been avoiding asking this question because I suspect that it is a question that everyone else knows the answer to and I don't. Please put this down to my legendary ignorance of programming and coding. With many products that we obtain we also download Microsoft Visual C++ etc. That means in my case that I've got about 20 installed now. Now logically I would have thought that the only one to keep installed would be the latest but I cant say that I understand what they are so don't really know. Can someone tell me, do I need all of them or can I uninstall some?

I am pretty certain you are not Robinson Crusoe on this one Neil.  I recently learned a bit more about Microsoft Visual C++ packages as I was having an issue with an addon and in trying to find the problem I started uninstalling and reinstalling these packages.  As mentioned different programs, addons etc require different versions of the C++ libraries as they are created using different versions of those respective libraries and Microsoft Visual Studio.

To make things really easy, you can install the lot with a handy all in one installer from Major Geeks.  I was quite happy with the result and it saves searching Microsoft for all the different downloads required, as there are not only different versions for each year, but also service packs etc for each of these years.

You can find the all in one installer at Major Geeks:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/visual_c_runtime_installer.html)

Cheers,

Scott

1 hour ago, scottharmes6 said:

as I was having an issue with an addon and in trying to find the problem I started uninstalling and reinstalling these packages

May I ask if it was the Aerosoft CRJ? Because I an't get that bird to load, it crash V4. Aerosoft forum sais that a small group of folks are having this issue and it look like it's related to the 2017 C package... something like that.

Ben

16 hours ago, Benny said:

May I ask if it was the Aerosoft CRJ? Because I an't get that bird to load, it crash V4. Aerosoft forum sais that a small group of folks are having this issue and it look like it's related to the 2017 C package... something like that.

Ben

Hi Ben,

No it was the TFDi Boeing 717.  It turned out to be some sort of conflict with the Rex/Milviz Weather Radar dll, which I discovered by disabling all my dlls (using dll.xml file) and then re-enabling one at at a time.  TFDi were looking in to that conflict.

I would suggest you take similar steps to find the problem with the CRJ. They just released an update for that a few days ago, have you tried the latest version?  If problem persists I would suggest first checking the Windows error reports when a CTD occurs for any information and then do a search for similar problems with the faulting module.  I would also suggest doing what I did and disabling other dlls one at a time to see if any conflicts with other software/addons are causing a conflict with the CRJ.

It is a different addon, but here is the thread I started at TFDi concerning my CTDs with the 717:

http://forums.tfdidesign.com/index.php?/topic/2754-p3d-v3-ctd-with-tfdi-717/

Despite what I did, I would suggest not playing around with files or permissions in the "Windows\winsxs" folder.  Although I don't think I caused any damage, I could have really messed up my system by deleting the wrong files or changing the permissions etc.  The Windows\winsxs folder is where (some of?) the Visual C++ files are stored and called on by different programs.  winsxs stands for Windows Side by Side.

Cheers,

Archived