How to make Vector recognise P3Dv4 .xml scenery

Hello Mark,

this is so valuable, I have pinned it.

Thanks very much indeed.

Please add to it if you wish.

To other customers, please do not post support requests here, if you have a support 

request on this subject, please start a new topic in the Vector Support forum.

It can actually be much simpler using the Addon Organizer, which is used in the above process.  There is a button option "Backup/Restore", and in those options a choice to "Export Library for external tool".  Once you choose that option it brings up a box with a "1, 2 ,3 " option, #1 "Export Library to scenery.cfg" then #2. being a note to "Run External tool Keep this window open" (Here is where to run the AEC configuration), and finally #3. "Recover original scenery.cfg".  

This is basically what Mark above is doing, just makes it a little easier.

I 100% agree - backup your original scenery.cfg manually even though Addon Organizer does it for you . . .

Edited by JPL19
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JPL19 said:

It can actually be much simpler using the Addon Organizer, which is used in the above process.  There is a button option "Backup/Restore", and in those options a choice to "Export Library for external tool".  Once you choose that option it brings up a box with a "1, 2 ,3 " option, #1 "Export Library to scenery.cfg" then #2. being a note to "Run External tool Keep this window open" (Here is where to run the AEC configuration), and finally #3. "Recover original scenery.cfg".  

This is basically what Mark above is doing, just makes it a little easier.

I 100% agree - backup your original scenery.cfg manually even though Addon Organizer does it for you . . .

I've been very wary of letting tools automatically swap out cfg files in Program Data in v4 given that's what LM are trying to move from, so I felt a little safer having it write the MakeRwys_scenery.cfg to the sim root and handling the swap by hand.

(Although I already have to run MakeRwys whenever I add any new scenery in anyway due to RC4, so swapping the file wasn't too much more work after that)

I very much appreciate this user tip, however, I am even more interested in Vector Configurator reading all possible file locations (as read by Prepar3D v4).  Like it or not, unless LM does an immediate about face, we are going (kicking and screaming in some cases) in the direction of add-on.xmls.  The sooner the better IMHO.  

Thanks for any consideration for this viewpoint,

Carl

• Tim Harris unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Hello Carl,

I believe that we are waiting for Vector version 1.60.

The fix to the Vector control panel is supposed to be part of that.

You will remember that we released Vector for P3D v4 without the fixed version

and no one has seen a trace of an alleged update yet.

At least we are not all still waiting for Vector for P3D v4 but what is happening

about the outstanding matters, I have no idea.

In this case, I am a paying customer also and I don't think you will find anyone

who feels that it has received the support it deserves from the developers.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I tried to use the MakeRunways 4.83  to generate MakeRwys_Scenery.CFG, however, the scenery file contains no scenery at all. My original scenery contains 100s sceneries.  Can you please help.  

[General]
Title=Prepar3D Scenery
Description=Prepar3D Scenery Areas Data
Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

[Area.001]
Title=

• 7 months later...

Hello,

sorry no.

I have asked, the Vector team were at that stage supposedly sending the completed update and the source files.

As far as I am aware, they have not yet done so but I don't actually know the answer.

You could try asking Pilots' for an answer here is their last one.

Nick-

Sorry mate, still clear as mud.... the May 30 post says that the files are in the process of (I cannot fathom the delay) or have been transferred to Orbx...

Should you be able to come up with something from within the company, I'd be most obliged.

Ta!

C

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/17/2019 at 1:13 AM, joe_fackel said:

An update of ORBX (!) Vector to read also .xml addons is way overdue ....

I'm curious about this as well. I have purchased Vector but have yet to install it because I don't want to screw up my numerous 3rd party airports.

Hello,

It is only the auto-configuration that does not see the xml files.

You can therefore manually set the AEC for your addon airports if and when you see a problem,

and then save your settings in a profile.

We are told that this is one of the things to be updated in the next version of FTX Central.

• 4 months later...

We've just released Orbx Central v4.0.10 and Global Vector 1.6.3.

These updates add better support for Vector when installed into a library, and also adds support for scanning add-on.xml based products in the auto-config tool. Orbx Central will update on launch, and Global Vector can be updated by going to the Global Vector page within Central. You will no longer need to use the manual workaround from this thread.

7 hours ago, Mitchell Williamson said:

These updates add better support for Vector when installed into a library, and also adds support for scanning add-on.xml based products in the auto-config tool.

Glad to hear, finally. One question: is Vector now capable of detecting ALL xml based addon sceneries or "only" the ones from ORBX?

I have previously run the auto configuration tool and subsequently have run the tool manually to correct those airports added after the auto config tool was run, and saved all the corrections to a profile.  Will that profile be saved when the new Vector is installed, or will I have to run the auto AEC again, thus losing that profile which was saved previously?

1 hour ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I have previously run the auto configuration tool and subsequently have run the tool manually to correct those airports added after the auto config tool was run, and saved all the corrections to a profile.  Will that profile be saved when the new Vector is installed, or will I have to run the auto AEC again, thus losing that profile which was saved previously?

Ahh...never mind.  This issue is mentioned in Ben's announcement regarding Orbx Central 4.0.10.  Any and all changes will not be lost.  Thanks!