Any help any ideas

Dadtom65

Hi. Need help from you guys as still having computer troubles. Know it's not Orbx related but I'm desperate. The thing is if I just shut down my comp with Windows and do not turn off power, when starting up my computer again it's fine and everything works, but if I shut down my computer and then turn off power even if it's just the switch on power supply when I go to turn comp back on it goes to the gigabyte post screen and then goes to a bios screen with the three options every time. Once I've done that the comp is fine. Yes I have changed the motherboard battery. Because this problem has started I now can not put my new graphics card in as because I have to turn the power off to fit it. When I put the new card in it goes straight to the post gigabyte screen and sticks there, or if we try to reset the comp it then goes to the American  mega trends screen and sticks there. I think it could be the power supply but I don't want to buy a new one if that is not the problem. Any one any ideas please. Derek.

Meant to say I did take it to my local comp shop because I bought the components there but they said when I'm shutting down the comp im turning off the power to quick and not letting Windows close every thing down. Na that's not it, tried it. Derek.

Hello Derek,

that is indeed the classic symptom of a dead battery.

It might be worth checking that the new one is the right one and also

actually working.

I recently fitted a new battery to a car key fob and it was worse than the one it replaced.

The next one out of the packet was fine.

This is definitely a bios related issue, not windows...... the motherboard is checking CMOS and running a brief diagnostic..... not windows; at this point windows isn't in memory.

Test the CMOS battery, if it has power; then go into the BIOS, make a minor change and see if that changes is maintained after you've restarted and booted back into the bios again, which should tell you if the BIOS settings are being persisted.

You said you have replaced some parts but you didn't mention if the the motherboard was replaced.... my next check would be to check the seating of the battery holder to make sure its not cracked and the solder is still good, and if you've changed the motherboard to make sure its seated correctly.... without adequate support, the heat generated in some cases, and the size of graphics cards these days, it's easy to damage these things accidently.

There are many reasons this could be happening but based on you saying that its just started and before the graphics card was fitted, i'm making the assumption that your card and power draw are not the problem, and once set the drive is found and booted. 

When the bios comes up I go into the bios and make a change to stop the logo keep coming up. Comp is ok after that, can play it all day, it's when I turn off power and at any time turn on power the bios selection comes up. Derek.

if its a problem with windows or the drive windows installs into, it will get past the bios screens, and will tell you that it cant load the drive or find the boot sector.....if its the boots sector its normally fixable, but from your description it sounds like the bios; maybe post a pic so we can see

All it does is show the Gigabyte start up screen which disappears, you then get a small screen come up with three options, actually go into bios, load optimised settings or load optimised settings and reboot. 

Hello Derek,

Those options are what you see when you have deliberately 

taken the battery out to reset the bios settings (CMOS).

It is pretty clear that the bios settings are not being saved.

It has to be because either the motherboard is not getting

any battery power or that power is not getting to the CMOS.

Otherwise, all would be well between sessions.

I agree with Nick.....

It sounds very much like the BIOS has not been saved before, and its waiting for you to give initial settings...... specifically a boot sequence

If you don't go into this screen does it load windows?

If not and its not persisting your changes to the BIOS, then check the items I said before...... its quite possible the board has become damaged; I've had boards before where the heat inside the case has damaged the seating of the battery holder and caused this exact same problem.

Hi,

A backup battery on a motherboard is supposed to work at leat 5 years before having to change it. After that, you start having problem with settings into the bios.  The common model is CR2032 lithium 3V. Very easy to change it. Just open the case (power off) and replace.

I will get some more battery's though how I can check the motherboard is getting power I don't know. Your right Nick that's exactly what it looks like. If I get some more battery's and it still does not work then it's got to be the motherboard. Maybe time for all new. Mmmm that won't go down well. 

Even if the current battery has some charge, it cannot save settings after a long shoot down and occurs faulty behaviours with hardware

It does sound like it is the board.... as myself and Nick have indicated, either the batteries are no good, which you've confirmed they are; or power is not getting to the CMOS; or the CMOS is not able to persist the change. If you can get into the BIOS settings, then try the test I said with the boot sequence,.... if you can't get into the bios, or the changes are not persisted and the batteries are good. Another culprit would be if you have been overclocking and have somehow destabilized the power distribution for cpu / memory, in which case reset everything to standard... no overclock and test again..... this is unlikely though.

Hello Derek,

the only purpose of the battery is to give the motherboard enough power to save your settings.

If the battery or motherboard is U/S, then each time you start it, it can only show you the default settings

and the means to set them up.

If you never switch it off, there is always power there to maintain your settings.

The bios applies settings for your hardware at a low level prior to the OS being loaded. Once you get past the bios, the system will read it as you have it set and will continue to do so until you switch off the power. When you re-start it loses those settings because those settings are not persisted.

One last thing...... its a long shot, but at this point you have nothing to lose. When did you last update the motherboard bios? It's an old board, so maybe there is a compatibility issue...... switch to the on-board graphics chip or old graphics card, downloaded the latest bios; then try again with the new graphics card.

My son can not understand why my old card an AMD 7870 works ok once we get past the bios yet the new card Nvidia 1060 gets stuck at the  Gigabyte start screen or if you reset the comp it gets stuck at the American Megatrends screen. Think if I could get past them it would work.

The reason I mentioned updating the bios is because you also mentioned recently updating your memory though... the memory and cpu work on specific frequencies / refresh rates, and power settings. Components change so quickly these days, and whilst its unlikely, its still possible you may have a compatibility issue......... I firmly believe its the BIOS issue as identified by myself and Nick earlier, but as I said.... what have you got to lose by updating your bios to test...... you probably have to change the board anyway

I can understand that, it can be daunting.....search youtube as there's bound to be something on there for your motherboard to help you, and download the manual from your manufacturer which should include instructions. If you're not comfortable with the process, then just don't do it....... after all, what you have now works, its just an inconvenience to load optimized defaults....... whatever you decide, I hope you're back up and flying again soon :)

1 hour ago, Dadtom65 said:

My son can not understand why my old card an AMD 7870 works ok once we get past the bios yet the new card Nvidia 1060 gets stuck at the  Gigabyte start screen or if you reset the comp it gets stuck at the American Megatrends screen. Think if I could get past them it would work.

On my old rig, the comp shop told me that I had 50% chance of my new 1060 would work, fist I bought the 2 gig one, worked perfectly, but then realize I would better off with the 6  gig, this was was harder to set up.

Why don't you go back to 8 gig of RAM just to see.

Ben

Hi Benny. Yes could give that a go though think my son tried that with just one stick and so on. It's really looking like a new comp, mean this one is only 5 years old, but we have a car on tick as we call it here, on easy pay, so I don't think the boss would agree to that. I was hoping my comp was going to see me out. Ah well. Derek.

Hi Dadtom65,

Days ago Microsoft updated my Windos 10 and after this update when I wanted to turn off the PC this did not turn off
and the screen remained black. I solved this by this solution open Start and click the Settings entry - Click System
 - On the next screen, click Power and Suspend - On the right, under Related Settings, click on Additional Power Settings -
In the new window that you just opened, in the left section, click Specify Power Button Behavior - Now click on the item at the top
change the settings currently unavailable - By going down in the Stop Settings section, turn off Quick Start, unchecking the check box -
 Click Save changes

6 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Derek, this comment makes me wonder if this issue you are having could be a power supply related problem. I have agreed with pretty much everyone's else's suggestions, so that is why I have not chimed in before. But, after reading through all the posts here and seeing what you have already tried, that comment about the video cards reminded me that some time ago, I have experienced a similar problem. Troubleshooting these kinds of problems is a time consuming process of elimination, as you are experiencing. If your computer powers up fine with the old AMD video card, but the Nvidia card get's stuck at the BIOS, then that could be an indicator that your system, specifically your PSU, is not providing enough power to the Nvidia graphics card, and therefore it's not passing the computer's POST (Power On Self Test). By the way, that's another question, does your computer produce the single POST beep with the Nvidia card installed? Just some more things to check out.

Hi Sniper31. No I don't get any beeps and my power supply is a 750w one so I think I have enough power. Plus the new card was ok before i started getting problems. Used to play The Division fantastic. Mean even if I have to go through the bios with my old card after that it's fine. Afraid it's got me stumped. Derek.

Archived