Now that's STOL!

wolfko

17 hours ago, Clorix said:

I experimented with something similar a while back.  I decided to see what 200 knot winds were like in the sim.  Needless to say it was pretty fun!  Pretty much the same effect lol.

Ha! I'll have to try that up here at my KFYV and not down there in the river valley!

I love watching STOL videos.  There are always great ones from the annual competition at Valdez too.

I don't know what the big deal is, I've got thousands of vertical landings, take-offs too.  

Does it matter that they were in helicopters? :)

On 05/06/2017 at 10:34 PM, Clorix said:

I experimented with something similar a while back.  I decided to see what 200 knot winds were like in the sim.  Needless to say it was pretty fun!  Pretty much the same effect lol.

I tried gale force winds when I first installed P3D v4 as that was before Active Sky released their version for v4 and v4 has no live weather

A few default planes just took off from the runway without actually taking off

It is just hard to control the plane when winds are insane speeds

On 7.6.2017 at 3:34 AM, Gypsy Pilot said:

And always in a crosswind.  

And sometimes on a dark rainy night.

Dale

Sorry to correct you. The carrier turns into the wind so the landings are of course in a headwind (would be kinda silly otherwise). And then you also have to add the speed of the carrier itself. 

3 hours ago, wolfko said:

Sorry to correct you. The carrier turns into the wind so the landings are of course in a headwind (would be kinda silly otherwise). And then you also have to add the speed of the carrier itself. 

My first carrier flight was in 1955 on one of the last operational straight deck carriers CVA-45 (Valley Forge) which did as you say, turned into the wind.

Even on a calm day straight deck carrier pilots always had a head wind because that big hunk of steel could chug along at 30+ knots during air operations.

In 1956 my squadron deployed on the CVS-36 (Antietam)  which was the only angle deck carrier at the time.

One of my last flights was from the Antietam and our first landing on an angle deck was a bit of a challenge mentally because there was nothing to stop you if you failed to catch a wire.

Because the ship is steaming into the wind and even with offsetting the heading because the flight deck is at an angle to the heading there is usually a crosswind to contend with.

Here is a better explanation:  https://www.quora.com/Do-planes-landing-on-aircraft-carriers-ever-have-to-contend-with-cross-winds

Dale

18 hours ago, h3pilot said:

In my shipboard experience, if the weather is clear for a 100 mile radius, with the exception of one rain cell, the ship will inevitably be steaming straight for that rain cell. :) 

The Skipper had to do something to make sure that the flight deck crew got a bath :)

Dale

Archived