Wondering, can ppl with large private aircraft live there?

akmatov

OK, I'm rich and have my own private airliner which I fly.  Can I chose to stay in it when traveling rather than go to a hotel?  Ofc I can fit it out for that, but can airports accommodate/allow it?

Ofc you would need a power connection.  But wondering if the airport would allow you to live out of your aircraft overnight or for a few days, no idea, hence my question.

I believe that when Scaled Composites sent Space Ship One in to space the first time that Paul Allen may have used his 757 in that manner.  I'm not sure for how long though. 

I'm sure you could have one of the few single pilot jets fitted out so that you could "live" in it. Until you factor in that most of these jets don't give you much room.  I think the CJ4 is the largest jet that a single pilot can get rated to fly at 17,000 lbs.  The cabin is 57 inches (1.45m) tall by 58 (1.47m) wide.

If you can afford a 9-10 million dollar jet, chances are your more than willing to spend a little more for a hotel room.

Lets say your the lead singer for oh say Iron Maiden, your rated on 747's and 757's and you want to live on one and fly it with a co-pilot around the world.  Chances are good if your willing to pay that you can find airports willing to put you up at least temporarily.  If you have your own FBO then your odds just went up.

Long ago Bill Bixby starred in a tv show called The Magician where he lived in a jet, seems like it even had a ramp he could drive his corvette up and into.  I always thought that would be SO cool. 

My concept would be for me and my girl to fly to points of interest for a few days at a time and rather than take chances on the water and bedbug situation, at a minimum, just bunk down in the plane.  Kinda tight quarters, but no worse than a tent when camping.  Was just wondering if this was something the airport would support; just park in an out of the way area, as we would anyway, but with a power connection.  This is ofc FS fantasy, lacking my very own 707 :)

May I suggest then that you take your customized 747? It would certainly remove the tight quarters scenario. It would of course require a double parking space, but then the fees for that would still be cheaper than a nearby motel and you would also have cooking facilities.

I hope the above suggestion helps in your dilemna;)

On 5/23/2017 at 7:24 PM, Sniper31 said:

No one likes MRE's...trust me on that one..

When I was in the Air Force in the 80's I used to love those MRE's, no kidding.  We did a lot of camping in Idaho and we'd to go the commissary and buy a bunch of the good ones and pig out.  Some were terrible I grant you but I really liked them.  I even liked the "candy bar" that you had to break with a hammer.  How about the dehydrated strawberries, you can't tell me you didn't like those things.

Just now, Jack Sawyer said:

When I was in the Air Force in the 80's I used to love those MRE's, no kidding.  We did a lot of camping in Idaho and we'd to go the commissary and buy a bunch of the good ones and pig out.  Some were terrible I grant you but I really liked them.  I even liked the "candy bar" that you had to break with a hammer.  How about the dehydrated strawberries, you can't tell me you didn't like those things.

Jack, in the Infantry we eat friggin' MRE's like they are going out of style...when those are your main source of nourishment, they get old real fast. They are GREAT for their intended use of pre-packaged calories that you can pack in your rucksack on missions vs. canned food that weighs more. But, they are never anything that I would want to eat if I had another option meal choice. On top of that, try eating two to three MRE's for a 12 month deployment, and then come talk to me about how awesome those dehydrated strawberries taste. By the way, the dehydrated fruit is long gone...we haven't had that stuff in our MRE's since around 1993-94ish. I HAVE eaten them plenty though, just in case you were wondering, as I have been serving as a light Infantryman since 1989. 

That said, if you like them, you are more than welcome to my share....have at 'em :D

22 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Jack, in the Infantry we eat friggin' MRE's like they are going out of style...when those are your main source of nourishment, they get old real fast. They are GREAT for their intended use of pre-packaged calories that you can pack in your rucksack on missions vs. canned food that weighs more. But, they are never anything that I would want to eat if I had another option meal choice. On top of that, try eating two to three MRE's for a 12 month deployment, and then come talk to me about how awesome those dehydrated strawberries taste. By the way, the dehydrated fruit is long gone...we haven't had that stuff in our MRE's since around 1993-94ish. I HAVE eaten them plenty though, just in case you were wondering, as I have been serving as a light Infantryman since 1989. 

That said, if you like them, you are more than welcome to my share....have at 'em :D

Yeah, I can see that, sorry man, I know it's not fun being in the infantry, thanks for serving by the way.  We only ate them when we had NBC exercises so it wasn't that often.  I just thought they were handy on a camping trip.  I didn't mean to demean what you have to eat in any way Sniper, if I offended I'm sorry.

3 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Yeah, I can see that, sorry man, I know it's not fun being in the infantry, thanks for serving by the way.  We only ate them when we had NBC exercises so it wasn't that often.  I just thought they were handy on a camping trip.  I didn't mean to demean what you have to eat in any way Sniper, if I offended I'm sorry.

Jack, all is good. You did not offend me in anyway whatsover. I have had similar debates about MRE's with civilian friends of mine that are avid backpackers, campers and hunters. They all think the MRE is wonderful, but I always debate it with them...always in good fun :)

As for the Infantry, yes, at times it is not a fun career choice, and at times it's stupid tough and difficult...BUT, it was my choice to join the Infantry back in 1989, and I have never looked back. The Infantry is my home, will always be. And I have had more than my share of fun, adventurous times to go along with all the tough times, so it's all good :D

I joined in 1989 too.  Did 8 years and saw a lot of cool stuff.  But if you're still in, man that's a long time.  What rank are you, officer or E9?  I'll bet you have some really interesting stories, I wrote all mine down, have you considered writing everything down?

24 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I joined in 1989 too

Well then, a good year it seems :) And yes, I have LOTS of good stories, some written down. Probably need to write more down. I am enlisted, not an officer, and have been in almost 28 years. I did have a three year break in service as I got out in 1994 to attend college. I then joined back up around 1997 as I missed the Infantry :D Couldn't stand being around all those cream puff college kids any longer...haha:D

Anyhow, I feel we've hijacked this thread long enough now Jack, so maybe we should continue this conversation else where :)

Have swapped compo (composite rations) for MRE's just for a change, when serving used to prefer Gurkha ration to British ration, but you can not beat fresh rations when available, took the choice once of asking for fresh instead and was handed a live chicken in cardboard box. It was a pain to carry and seemed to know, whenever I was trying to balance on a log or clamber over something and would flap about and throw me off balance. It did not survive till we hit the night stop, but it did taste good

13 hours ago, Taph said:

It did not survive till we hit the night stop, but it did taste good

Haha...that one line reminds me of soooo many good stories. There are quite a few Service Members and Veterans here, no matter the nationality, that I would love to sit down with over some cold pints and swap stories. Could go into the wee hours of the night/morning. :D Great story Taph!

On 5/25/2017 at 6:55 PM, Sniper31 said:

lol, 

you made my mouth pucker up remembering the tartness of them strawberries. I eaten oodles of MRE 31yrs in the fire dept.  I agree not my first choice of meal. but when there is nothing else...... :)

PS.  I have one in the car for emergencies. I ought to crack it open to see whats in it. 

Archived