Current thinking on USA Mesh

medx421

So, as I made the sale plunge for Global, OpenLC NA, and Vector, my mind has turned to mesh.  I run (and happily for now) FSX:SE although I was a long time box version user since release.  

What is the current product of choice out there for North America mesh, and even more specifically the US?  Is it FS Global for the cohesiveness with ORBX products or is there something else?  FreemeshX seems to get high praise, however doesn't include the US.  

I know I am LOD10 38m in the US as it stands which isn't too bad, but I know higher LOD is out there with products such as FSGlobal, FSGenesis, and OFX.  I also know I have also tapped into my budget pretty hard, although I'm pretty slowed down on purchase needs.

So is FSGlobal or anything else out there worth the squeeze?  Should I wait out FreemeshX (no ETA), or just be content with what really isn't too bad as it stands?  Like others, regardless of 32 bit platform, I teeter the line with VAS/OOM, so that is a consideration as well.

Thoughts?

Nick 

Thank you for the replies thus far.  FreemeshX does cover some of North America (Canada, some parts of Alaska), but otherwise provides no US coverage, yet.  The author is extremely communicative though and the US product may not be too far off.  I am intrigued by Toposim as I used Justin's work back in FS9.  The website seems to be down at the moment however.  OFX is still possible, however many have expressed disappointment and state it is not 5m as advertised.  When I completed a new build recently, it became a goal to have an extremely clean installation, and in that I am very careful about installations solely on experimental basis and would rather go with a user proven product.  Keep the ideas coming.  They are very helpful.

Nick

Just to add to the mix here, have you tried setting your default USA mesh to 1m. It certainly enhances the detail. OFX by the way will be better than your default, is free and then you can progress to some new OFX USA when ready or consider payware. I use Pilots NG payware and you can by it in regions rather than worldwide should you wish. It is pricey but very detailed.

Thanks jjaycee.  I'm pretty sure I run at 5m on the sim.  I'll give OFX a reasonable look when I get home.  Especially if I can clean install and uninstall without it digging files in obscure places.

I suggest if you do get OFX that you install it outside of the P3D directory but on the same drive as P3D and add it to your scenery library. That way, it is always there and available to add to your library anytime, even if you upgrade your sim version. Pilots NG mesh actually tells the owner to install outside of the P3D directory so i have done that with other meshes i have as well. No problems at all in this method and saves a lot of reinstall time should something go wrong with your sim.

Thank you all again for your thoughts and suggestions.  After evaluating the products, and my willingness to invest, I have decided to wait for FreemeshX, which according to the author in another forum, will likely be released for the US sooner than later.

If you want even finer mesh resolution you could try the the Global Ultimate which is about 80Gb

They are going to be releasing a download version within a couple of weeks

Some places have a 1m resolution but this is only practical for P3D v4 due to RAM

Its no wonder that Mathijs Kok from Aerosoft thinks that P3D v3 will be a dinosaur within months

i am not trying to hijack your thread, but pilots made it clear global 2010 will not have p3d v4 support.I paid 90.00 usd for that product and now trying to track down mesh that will work with p3d v4.i already installed ftx globa base and open lc. i seen freeware mesh, but i prefer a better payware version that can be downloaded, thanks

Hi Brett,

if you still have PILOTS Global mesh installed (or a backup of the installed files somewhere) then all you need to do is manually add its entries to your scenery library menu. The format for terrain mesh files is identical for FSX and all versions of P3D. Thus, one never needs to have duplicate copies of mesh files on disk, simply add the entries to the different sims.

Cheers, Holger

6 hours ago, Brett Culley said:

i am not trying to hijack your thread, but pilots made it clear global 2010 will not have p3d v4 support.I paid 90.00 usd for that product and now trying to track down mesh that will work with p3d v4.i already installed ftx globa base and open lc. i seen freeware mesh, but i prefer a better payware version that can be downloaded, thanks

Just because it isn't supported doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work.  Try it out.  You might be surprised.  

I would bet you could not tell the difference between payware mesh and good freeware mesh.

On 6/2/2017 at 0:10 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi Brett,

if you still have PILOTS Global mesh installed (or a backup of the installed files somewhere) then all you need to do is manually add its entries to your scenery library menu. The format for terrain mesh files is identical for FSX and all versions of P3D. Thus, one never needs to have duplicate copies of mesh files on disk, simply add the entries to the different sims.

Cheers, Holger

OK Holger, I'm going to ask a question, and by doing so expose  my ignorance. Just how do I "simply add the entries to the different sims."?

On 6/2/2017 at 3:10 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi Brett,

Cheers, Holger

thanks for the comments, i had a friend connect through TeamViewer and show me how to manually add fs global 2010 to my scenery config.

7 hours ago, Brett Culley said:

thanks for the comments, i had a friend connect through TeamViewer and show me how to manually add fs global 2010 to my scenery config.

You might like to share with those who don't know how to do this or provide a link to online instructions

On 02/06/2017 at 9:10 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

one never needs to have duplicate copies of mesh files on disk, simply add the entries to the different sims.

To save disk or SSD space is it possible to delete the default mesh from P3D when Pilots Global Ultimate is installed - all 80Gb of it

I'm having a difficult time myself deciding whether I want to stay with FSGlobal Ultimate or upgrade to Next Generation for P3D v4 to enhance non-Orbx regions.  

I keep hearing that loading times and efficiency has increased from FS Global Ultimate to Next Generation, which is a strong selling point for me.  Can anyone comment on that?  I don't plan on running my mesh at any higher than 5-m per the FTX guide.  I also haven't gotten a good feel for how Next Generation impacts Orbx payware airports.  Are folks having any issues with NG + PAJN, PAKT, etc.?  

13 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I think he may be referring to 80GB of Pilot's Global Ultimate, perhaps?

I was indeed referring to the Pilots product making me even more thankful that I just installed a 1Tb SSD

13 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

If there is only 1.56 gb of default, it seems best to leave it where it is.

Yes, less than 2Gb can stay. Its not worth removing it

Archived