Flight Sim World vs AeroflyFS2

Pepperman

I don't know about most of you but I see and hear talk about 2 new flight sims. Flight Sim World and Aerofly FS2. I seem to get the feeling that both will have OrbX scenery and airports and regions. Is that correct? And since I own numerous FTX Orbx products would those be useable in either of these 2 new sims? Also, of these 2, which one would you suggest to purchase? Should I stop buying OrbX stuff and wait to purchase OrbX for one of the new flight sims? I would really like to be able to use my previously purchased OrbX stuff in one of the new ones....which one would that be possible with? Is FTX OrbX supporting one more than the other? And which one of the 2 new sims will be better....ie better frame rates, better graphics...ect.

A lot to consider. Could someone out there please help me clarify the situation?

Thanks.

Peter

If you want to make sure to use your previously bought scenery go for neither of them but Prepar3d4. It's been stated by JV all ORBX scenery will be made compatible with the next Prepar3d generation free of cost .

ORBX will offer a few packages for AeroflyFS2 (initially LOWI and Meigs) for a certain add-on cost (40 %) to previous FSX/P3D owners. Nothing of the scenery you own now will run under AeroflyFS2 out of the box.

ORBX is committed to FSW support in general, but will decide about definite projects after FSW will go out of Early Access. Think in the timescale of years. None of the present ORBX sceneries will run under FSW out of the box either.

Edit: I should add FSW comes with FTX Global integrated out of the box.

Kind regards, Michael

FSW is due out this Friday, early user edition.

I have P3Dv3.4 & Aerofly FS2. Have not used AFS2 much.

Would agree with Michael, wait until P3Dv4 comes out & see what it has to offer.

Orbx creating airports for ASF2, (LOWI & Meigs), but placing FTX Global in FSW, is a bit of a head scratcher as regards consistency of approach to new Sims..

Probably driven by commercial considerations. 

TTM

Thanks all for your comments and view points. I'm not sure which of the 2 I would pick Aerofly or FSW? Maybe Michael is right and  Prepar3d4 is the way to go. The other 2 look so amazing though. I guess what I was looking for was that someone would say...oh yes you can buy Aerofly FS2 and all your purchased OrbX stuff will work with it no problem!

Wishful thinking I know. I am on FSX now...love OrbX but what would be the point of moving to Prepar3d4? Is it not a lot like FSX? I just want a more modern flight sim with shadows in the plane and without the silly crashes I get with FSX... and better frame rates than FSX.

You're right TTM, it is a bit weird with both new sims having Orbx but in different ways!!

Thanks.

Pete.

3 hours ago, Pepperman said:

I just want a more modern flight sim with shadows in the plane and without the silly crashes I get with FSX... and better frame rates than FSX.

Well you know Pete, you can get all of those in the current iteration of Prepar3D. Shadows inside the aircraft, no silly FSX crashes and the frame rates are definitely better. In the early days of P3D, that was not always the case, but things are much better now. Add on top of that current Orbx scenery packages will work and be supported in P3D v4 and you can't go wrong as others have stated above.

I started in flight sims with FSX &  soon found there is a plethora of add ons - scenery & aircraft, that work with FSX, (& P3D).

As regards scenery, I was fortunate I stumbled on to Orbx early on as it has an extensive range of quality products that it is constantly adding to & refining. Which I keep buying.:)

I moved to P3D because everything I had read suggested it was smoother than FSX, (it is), & it had subtle touches such as cloud shadows on the land & sea, & shadowing inside the aircraft, all adding to a more immersive experience.

Orbx supports P3D & has said it will continue to do so.

As I said, I have AFS2, it's in its infancy & shows promise, but 1 aspect I struggle with is that at the moment it only has one season for its photoreal scenery. & I find the photoreal scenery blurry when flying under about 2,500'.

Maybe this will be improved. But I have been spoiled by Orbx's 4 [or 5], seasons & the enhancement it brings to flying.

Yet the VR flyers speak highly of it, so if you do VR then AFS2 is  worth a look.

The FSW promotional material is well done as regards presenting the product. If it is released at the suggested USD25 then I will probably pick up a copy to see what it is like.

There is some excitement about rain drops on windscreens, but for me, what is more important is which Sim will allow me to continue to use my extensive collection of Orbx scenery & large hangar of 3rd party aircraft?

At the moment that is P3D. Hopefully P3Dv4 will be 64 bit, although I have read some material suggesting 64 bit is not the holy grail.

Using a racing analogy, I have some sympathy for Orbx in it's having to pick 'winners' to back in the 'new flight sims' race.

Sometimes it's better to back the jockey, [in this case Orbx], rather than the horse!

TTM

If you have a large collection of Orbx products then P3D is the way to go. The rumour mill has 64bit P3D being announced in June. As P3D is open, 3rd party developers will move their products to the new version as we have seen in the past. I have AF2, and will be getting an early release of FSW. I really think the winner will be P3DV4, which is my principal flight sim, no going back to FSX, for me. Some good comments here, perhaps wait a couple of months and see what the feedback is.

Oh my. Thanks all so much for your feedback. All of your suggestions and ideas have helped me so much. I really appreciate it. I will take the advice and hold on for a while but will probably go to P3D since I do have a lot of OrbX stuff and want to purchase more. So that means that all the products that I own from OrbX will be available to use from FTX Central into the P3D install? So P3D will see it and install it? Can I have all my OrbX stuff in both FSX and P3D? I guess I would buy the Academic license for $59.95?

Please let me know how that would work.

Thanks.

Pete.

• Guest locked this topic

Archived