Manually unticking Orbx regions in FSX Scenery Library

Bassman

I have been thinking about unticking Orbx regions to assist VAS.

I already untick other addon scenery that I do not require at any given flight.

For example if I want to fly in Australia can I untick every other Orbx region without causing problems?

Thankyou Cheers Dan

Yes you can. Are you using Scenery Configuration Editor (free app and a great tool)?  Makes it simple. You can deactivate areas you're not flying in and save it as a profile. Matter of fact Nick turned me on to that little trick.

jsapair

Thanks mate. I will give the tool a go, although it is not that time consuming to initially untick most addons and then just tick the few that might be needed. It is however quite annoying to start a flight and then remember whoops, havn't ticked the relevant addon.   I have done this a few times!!!

I would mention, while it's possible to untick the scenery you don't want using SCE and other such programs, it doesn't affect VAS in any way.  The scenery can remain active but not loaded into memory until the sim needs it, so VAS isn't affected until the sim needs the scenery/airports within the LOD radius which you have set in fsx.cfg.  The main benefit in unticking scenery entries in the scenery library is to reduce load time of the sim itself.

19 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I would mention, while it's possible to untick the scenery you don't want using SCE and other such programs, it doesn't affect VAS in any way.  The scenery can remain active but not loaded into memory until the sim needs it, so VAS isn't affected until the sim needs the scenery/airports within the LOD radius which you have set in fsx.cfg.  The main benefit in unticking scenery entries in the scenery library is to reduce load time of the sim itself.

Hi Stewart!  I've been following this thread and am curious.  So if I wanted to fly that new 747 and try to reduce the VAS load you mean unticking in the scenery library won't unload the scenery?  It just cuts down load times?  I never heard that before, something new on me.

So then the Orbx areas are always active?  Even Vector?

What would be the best way to reduce VAS then, move the graphics sliders way to the left?

Thanks Stew.

EDIT: I don't use any of those scenery configurators.

Hi, Jack.  FSX, and I assume P3D also, only loads the scenery and airports it needs which are within your LOD radius.  This is not merely my opinion, but wisdom from Holger Sandmann himself.  That's why setting LOD radius excessively high results in quick OOMs, no matter what sim one is using.  So, if you're flying your new 747 into LAX, for instance, and have your LOD set to 6.5 or higher, you're in deep trouble.  I have heard, but not experienced it myself, that flying into LAX in a big jetliner with SCA unticked will help, since the sim will no longer try to load all those airports you don't really need in order to land at LAX.  On the other hand, if you're planning to fly from Vancouver, BC, into Seattle, unticking SCA or even NCA won't cure VAS and OOMs, since you're not flying anywhere near those regions on your way to Seattle.  Likewise, flying anywhere along the East Coast of the US and unticking any of the West Coast regions, SCA, NCA, PNW, etc., will do no good in eliminating VAS issues, since those regions are not loaded for use by the sim, since you're flying on the other side of the country.  BTW, those scenery configurators are very handy--you might try one of them and see how much time they save you setting up a flight.  I use SimStarter NG *all* the time.  I almost never start my sim (FSX) without first using SimStarter to start with.

Thanks Stew that helps a lot.  But while reading the new 747's manual last night I think it said somewhere to not use a simstarter type of program.  But I could use it for every other plane.  Do they even make one for P3D 3.4?

Thanks for enlightening me and for Holger's vast knowledge too!

Unticking things does work in some circumstances, for example if I am flying VFR, Low and Slow in a GA Aircraft around Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles then I can untick everything and all works fine. 

IF you are using SCA with Los Angeles FSDT and PMDG aircraft you are asking a lot. Just untick the SCA region and reduce VAS and fall back on GlobalBASE, Vector and Landclass. I find this works great and as a rule of thumb I untick everything when flying any PMDG aircraft except for my departure and arrival airport and use GlobalBASE, Vector and Landclass. Even flying over a region or a third party airport will load up your VAS even if you don't land there so just turn that stuff off. 

SimStarterNG is the way to go. It isn't just a program for scenery you also can control all of your settings and what programs run. I don't even use The P3D interface anymore and start all my flights from The main flight control screen. Best 14 dollars I have spent. It can solve all kinds of issues like Out of Memory, Stutters, slow Textures, and Pauses. My performance has never been better.

• Nick Cooper changed the title to Manually unticking Orbx regions in FSX Scenery Library

Archived