Freeware in Central V3 is Counterintuitive

CrownCityMisfit

I had a flawless license migration of 39 products. Thank you ORBX. Genius all the way around - design, coding, functionality.

The only "snag" was that finding the freeware was a bit counterintuitive. Don't get me wrong, I figured it out in about 1 minute, but still...

1 - Would it not make more sense to have a freeware tab within Central V3? With all freeware content "added" to everyone's account by default?

2 - Or at least have each freeware addon visible as a darkened thumbnail in their respective region category?

I just find it odd that the freeware is completely absent from Central unless you add it to your account from the website first. I assume you have your reasons.

Congrats on the launch!

2 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Think about it:  The transfer of licenses from the FSS only pertained to purchased products, not freeware products.  So at this point Central is ignorant of what items of freeware you have until you tell it.

BUT they do show products I haven't purchased yet, as darkened thumbnails. I think freeware should be treated similarly.

10 minutes ago, FreeBird said:

All my freeware showed up in Central V3. If If its installed it should show up.

Yes, but the point is that it would be nice if all not installed freeware would show up just like the not purchased and not installed payware. So you can see what is available and immediately download and install it if you like what you see. I asked about this btw already in another topic. Didn't get a reply yet.

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Yes, but the point is that it would be nice if all not installed freeware would show up just like the not purchased and not installed payware. So you can see what is available and immediately download and install it if you like what you see. I asked about this btw already in another topic. Didn't get a reply yet.

A minor point:  How does Central know what freeware you have downloaded or installed unless you tell it by manually adding that freeware to your account?  I think that's the sticking point some programmer has to figure out.

Central would know it the same way as it does know the payware. Payware I haven't bought or installed is grey and in the exact same way Central could show all available freeware. As soon as I decide to install it, it won't be grey anymore. I don't see how this could or should be different from payware? The question is simple: why does Central show ALL available payware but not ALL available freeware? There is no difference. I don't have to add payware I don't have to my account: it's just there by default, no matter if I bought and/or installed it or not.

6 hours ago, wombat said:

Hi John, any idea when this will be an option ?

When I've added it in ;)

We have to prioritise critical issues that are causing people problems first (e.g. FSX-SE not working correctly, scenery library entries being re-ordered). Then we can get onto the features like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived