Canberra Airport

christiaan

Just updated the fantastic  Melbourne airport to version 3.

As I also have the Canberra scenery I am wondering if/when ORBX is considering making Canberra Airport  to compliment the scenery.

Now that Flightbeam have announced that Adelaide is going to be made maybe Canberra from Orbx would be a obvious choice for the next Airport.

I think it would make a lot of customers happy.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have seen this airport from 2011 before but I believe that this airport had been demolished and a new one built, seen on Google Maps, has been built.

"" Canberra Wikipedia""

In 2009 Canberra Airport underwent a major redevelopment in which the old terminal was demolished and in its place a new concourse was constructed which fully opened in 2013.

See attachment from Google New Canberra Airport site.

New Canberra Airport.jpg

The airports meaning the two strips remained. That means the strips are still oriented where they were, same length etcetc. It was just surrounding buildings like the terminal, the car parks, other new buildings like a hotel and Brindabella Business Park nearby. Not big changes.

Nearly every building that is there now is in the YSCB scenery.  Only the terminal has substantially changed.  ORBX airports are a snapshot in time, and although it would be nice to have updates, for many reasons, it's just not feasible.  It's still a great representation, you just have to go back in time a few years.

I've worked on occasion at Brindabella business park and stayed at the hotel that was recently completed there. Your not missing out on anything substantial.Like for example, how some sides of the Brindabella business park has blue sides as a contrast, that's exactly how they are in real life. When I was working there to park my car, all those round a bouts in Orbx, and the different ways into the above air carpark are perfect to real life. The differences in say the buildings for the Gym, the various Cafes, to the offices, that's all in Orbx too.

On the other side with the military offices that's exact too. Its no longer Fairbarin military base officially as a RAF base, but it is a base and is in fact in condition safe base charlie so its a proper base. If you go there into the public entry you'll see condition safe base charlie in the atrium.

All the nav aids they work to real life. The ILS in particular works, all the lengths and orientation of the two strips is correct. During the open day this year at the end of that they had a period where you could walk the main strip with no air traffic and walks just perfectly as it looks in Orbx.

You miss out on the new hotel. Ive eaten there for business meetings there and so on. Its just a building. The servo next door is in Orbx still though. The new terminal in my opinion only impresses when your inside it rather than outside it.

The combination of YSCB and the Cityscape is a masterful stroke and I feel especially privileged as a customer to be able to buy both products and enjoy them. Seeing Anzac parade, seeing Telstra Tower, seeing so many things just like in real life. It's very special to me. I often show all my friends who come over to my house, what it looks like in Orbx. Many of them are not even into flight simming, and even they say all the time, "wow look at that" when they see all the usual Canberra landmarks and all the details just nailed like in real life.

1 hour ago, christiaan said:

I did mean Auckland, my mistake.

As the Canberra airport is still the original price I will wait  in case someone decides to make/update the airport.

You'll be waiting a long time.  Simple economics.  I'd rather be flying into and out of a 90% airport that has all the essence of the real thing just not the latest and greatest, than miss out in the hope that a dev will look at it and go 'you know what, I can spend a few hundred hours and several thousand dollars updating an airport that probably was lucky to break even on its original release, just in case there's a revivalist cult out there that will make all the original purchasers plus a whole lot more pay for a full price upgrade.'  

Still, plenty of other airports to keep one amused...

Firstly, personally I am satisfied with  the current Orbx version of Canberra Airport.

But, I have to admit that for a heavy iron flyer, the passenger terminal is one of the most important things, if not the most important thing of an airport, And honestly, the new terminal looks completely different than the old one displayed in the Orbx scenery. To say this does not matter, because the runways still have the same heading and length is cynical. If that was the only important thing, no add on airports were needed, because most of the default airports have got correct runways. Airport sceneries are mostly made for eye candy and Orbx scneries are famous, that also the surrounding areas (like Brindabella Business Park) are spectacularly displayed.

And last but not least, also Orbx YMML has received a an overhaul. For all that reasons the question of the OP is more than valid. I know though, that an update is probably not going to be happen.

Wolfko I see your main point. The importance of the correct terminals in being at rest for passengers / cargo etcetc before taxing for those simmers who are into those aspects like with heavy tubeliners. I think we both agree that it really just boils down to a few things with ancillary buildings like the new Hotel not being in Orbx, while the great majority of buildings are there and are accurate, as well as the new terminal not being there.

I just went into the sim to confirm the facts. Yes the new terminal doesn't show in Orbx like the external gate where you need to walk down the rampway onto the tarmac and the number of large scale terminals is higher now. I've done that walk down onto the tarmac allot as at YSCB they tend to post turboprops going to Melbourne there each morning which I've done a fair bit

If someone said to me, pay more for a new YSCB or pay for say a Wagga Wagga, that'd be a dam hard choice as a customer.

I agree that the OP has a valid point for reasons stated by others in this thread and especially in the light of YMML getting a face lift even though to the casual observer changes there are much less dramatic with  the basic shape of the terminal remaining largely unchanged -  in fact you have to look closely to spot the differences.  On the other hand in the case of YSCB the whole terminal building has been demolished with a new much larger one of completely different design replacing it.  And yes where exactly am I supposed to park my Singapore Airlines 777-200 after they commence there Singapore Canberra Wellington flights later this month?  As I will be flying into Canberra from Wellington on this flight at the end of October I guess I will find out.

Bruceb

1 hour ago, Bruceb said:

I agree that the OP has a valid point for reasons stated by others in this thread and especially in the light of YMML getting a face lift even though to the casual observer changes there are much less dramatic with  the basic shape of the terminal remaining largely unchanged -  in fact you have to look closely to spot the differences.  On the other hand in the case of YSCB the whole terminal building has been demolished with a new much larger one of completely different design replacing it.  And yes where exactly am I supposed to park my Singapore Airlines 777-200 after they commence there Singapore Canberra Wellington flights later this month?  As I will be flying into Canberra from Wellington on this flight at the end of October I guess I will find out.

Bruceb

Singapore Airlines will start flying to Wellington on 21-September, Just in time for our Spring Winds. It will be great to see it landing in the storms

Archived