Orbx Smart Phone App?

Caluma65

Evening, 

Just a thought, are there any plans for Orbx to develop an app for smart phones to allow the Orbx community to access the forums etc whilst 'on the go' as it were?  Indeed, is there an appetite for this amongst the Orbx community?

I'm sure the Orbx team have more to worry about than creating smart phone apps but I was just interested to see if the idea had been considered and if so, is it something we are likely to see in the future?  I have to say, I think it would be a great idea but understand time constraints /limits and the fact that you guys already never see to stop for breath!!

Would love to hear some thoughts on this.  Thanks for lending your ear.  Have a good one.  Cheers,

Calum

3 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Nice idea, for addicts like me...

I only found Orbx about 4 months ago and (having never been a member of a flight sim forum before) i'm completely hooked.  After decades I no longer feel alone in the world of flight sim.  Cheers,

Calum

8 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Nice idea, for addicts like me...

Yes agreed & for me as well, especially when travelling...always nice to read the latest from Orbx world & and view screen shots whilst away from home.

Would be good if linked to Central v3 by your account and also a buy now button, so it is ready to install on return to your main sim pc.

I could spend many an happy hour on it browsing whilst waiting in lounges etc... :)

The Orbx World is indeed much like crack:lol: I am for sure a long time addict.

In all seriousness though, I have never heard much talk about an app here on the forums, but then I surely don't catch every single post either. And of course, who knows what the staff discuss behind the scenes. That said, I DO know that many Orbx customers and supporters make use of the Tapatalk app. I don't use it, but I know it wells them post stuff on here on their phones easier. Someone else can probable add more info on that for you. 

30 minutes ago, Capt Pugwash said:

Would be good if linked to Central v3 by your account and also a buy now button, so it is ready to install on return to your main sim pc.

I could spend many an happy hour on it browsing whilst waiting in lounges etc... :)

Agreed, brilliant idea.  Cheers,

Calum

30 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

The Orbx World is indeed much like crack:lol: I am for sure a long time addict.

In all seriousness though, I have never heard much talk about an app here on the forums, but then I surely don't catch every single post either. And of course, who knows what the staff discuss behind the scenes. That said, I DO know that many Orbx customers and supporters make use of the Tapatalk app. I don't use it, but I know it wells them post stuff on here on their phones easier. Someone else can probable add more info on that for you. 

Haha - you are right there.  Thanks for the advice, hopefully someone can advise on that.

Would still be interested in hearing if the Orbx team have considered it  Cheers,

Calum

I have a iPhone 6 and am able to navigate the forums pretty easily that way on my phone, which I'm afraid I do on a regular basis.

But agree, an "app" would be even better.

My addiction to flight sim started years ago when I spent more of my honeymoon trip in 1997 ogling the Flight Simulator 98 in the computer store at Fashion Show Mall in Vegas than I did honeymooning - FS2000 was a disaster, but things got better and better after that.

But after ACES was disbanded I was able to kick the habit and get hooked on die cast model airliners - until I dug my copy of FSX out of a box last Christmas, looked online to see a tree fix for my beloved default Orcas Island - instead found Orbx Orcas Island screenshots - and am happily back addicted to the hobby!

But my addiction to this forum is as strong or stronger than the time I actually spend flying! :)

Steve

Problem I have with developing a smart phone app is due to this simple equation

Smart Phone App = Less Scenery

No Smart Phone App = More Scenery

The way that works it is simple. Developing a smart phone app takes time, money and other resources away from developing scenery, I would rather more scenery.

Cheers

13 hours ago, Republic DC-9 said:

I have a iPhone 6 and am able to navigate the forums pretty easily that way on my phone, which I'm afraid I do on a regular basis.

But agree, an "app" would be even better.

But my addiction to this forum is as strong or stronger than the time I actually spend flying! :)

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response, I am now up and running using the tapatalk app.  An app would be fantastic but this will suffice in the mean time.  I am with you in that I fuind my addiction to the forum has almost overtaken my addiction for flying.  Cheers,

Calum

12 hours ago, Ken Terry said:

If you have Google on your iPhone just enter ORBX FTX in the search bar and you will be able to get to the site.

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your response.  I had accessed the site on my phone this way many times in the past but it is cumbersome and not very user-friendly.  End up giving up.  Cheers,

Calum

11 hours ago, Richard Bui said:

You can follow the forum by Tapatalk

Hi Richard,

Thanks.  Up and running using this app now.  Cheers,

Calum

10 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

Problem I have with developing a smart phone app is due to this simple equation

Smart Phone App = Less Scenery

No Smart Phone App = More Scenery

The way that works it is simple. Developing a smart phone app takes time, money and other resources away from developing scenery, I would rather more scenery.

Cheers

Hi Matthew,

I absolutely agree, however, if there was to come a time where Orbx were expanding their business and this was being considered as an option - I would be very interested.  However, I agree that more scenery has to be the top priority.  Cheers,

Calum

2 hours ago, Ben McClintock said:

I don't think we'll make our own app. The mobile version of the forum is pretty good already. Also, Tapatalk gives me push notifications for the topics and sub forums that I'm following :) 

Cheers Ben, good to know.

Calum

2 hours ago, Roy Holleman said:

True but surfing on a phone is always worse than using an app

Agreed Roy.  Cheers,

Calum

Archived