New C-47R release

Louis

If any of you are into these ol' clunkers -Manfred Jahn -Jan Visser and a bunch more have got together and put out this second to none beta that you can get here 

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=34

Overpriced and buggy Carenado can learn something from these guys. What a  FREE   package and well explained manual, It  is beta and more to come as time goes by . You don't need a base package and can dive right into this zip pack . Of all the flight sim aircraft i find this one to be the hardest to fly by the book as in real life procedures,It  even has the 20-20 rule where if you bring the manifold pressure down below the prop setting she'll hammer out the bearings. I didn't have my trim set properly taking off and thought my presicion flight control yoke was gonna pull itself out of the mounts  .Very very impressive package .

Hi Nick , if you poke your head back in here, i notice your doing some road testing so you must know your way around this bird pretty good.. I'm signed up and all that on the forums at SOH but for some reson i can't  seem to be able to post, so may be you can get me straight on a couple items .. What's the procedure on taking off from high altitudes like Jacson Hole where it's 6,400 altitude and places like Denver ?. Do you take off at full mixture or do you bring them back some ? and also what's the deal on the carb heat , is it like the little guys where you check it at 10 -15 minute intervals and it drops 125 RPM - i see they have a carb gauge but i don't know what to watch for. 

Hello Louis,

What I know about flying real aircraft can be written on a postage stamp in large letters.

There are those in the development team who have to do with real world C47\DC3 s

but I am not one of them.

However, this may be of great interest to you if you wish to operate it as near to real world as possible.
PAN AMERICAN WORLD AIRWAYS SYSTEMFLIGHT INSTRUCTOR'S GUIDE Revised July 3l, l952

I particularly like this real world advice ( in bold text) from an age when health and safety legislation was rendered unnecessary

by large applications of common sense.

Records show that the DC-3A induction system has

collected ice when flying between cloud layers at

l9oC, free air temperature.

When icing occurs, the engines do not remain well

synchronized, manifold pressures drop, and a

considerable difference in throttle position may be

required for equal manifold pressures.

Ice may be removed by application of carburetor

heat.

In emergency cases, when carburetor heater

is not working, leaning the mixture to induce back-

firing may be necessary to get heat into the in-

duction system.

Hi Louis,

I agree completely with Nick's advice, and you can pretty much run this simulation (C-47) by the book as it has input from real world pilots and mechanics, and is based largely on real world manuals.

As a general rule regarding mixture settings at altitude, I have found from my experience (at least in FSX/P3D) that you should set your mixture as required as altitude increases if you are flying, or just about to take off.  A setting of around 50% is pretty normal for 5000-6000 feet, so for Jackson's Hole a take off mixture setting of around 45-50% should be good.

Cheers,

Remember, this is a Beta. There are bugs and flaws, as i and other pilots at DC3 Airways (www.dc3airways.com) are finding out. As for mixture setting, as Scott points out, when taking off a few thousand feet ASL, set mixture about mid way. As you climb higher, slowly begin leaning. As you lose altitude, do the opposite. Keep a keen ear open and listen to your engine sounds. A correct lean should produce a roaring engine. Anything else, will induce sputtering. btw, if you should reduce mixture too much and lose power, just pull the mixture lever up. As the correct mixture of fuel and O is created, the engine will act positively.

Sherm

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 2:45 PM, Louis said:

Hi Nick , if you poke your head back in here, i notice your doing some road testing so you must know your way around this bird pretty good.. I'm signed up and all that on the forums at SOH but for some reson i can't  seem to be able to post, so may be you can get me straight on a couple items .. What's the procedure on taking off from high altitudes like Jacson Hole where it's 6,400 altitude and places like Denver ?. Do you take off at full mixture or do you bring them back some ? and also what's the deal on the carb heat , is it like the little guys where you check it at 10 -15 minute intervals and it drops 125 RPM - i see they have a carb gauge but i don't know what to watch for. 

Louis, if you tell me your handle at SOH I can enable posting.

Best, 

Roger (SOH Admin) 

Archived