ten enjoyable scenic shots

sightseer

enjoyable IMO anyway...

Heres 10 shots , random shots, scenic shots.  recent work of mine...some of which will never see the light of day probably.

ive got some new textures but mostly Ive been trying to do better with stratus...still learning - as always.

so...some shots:

2016-2-29_17-58-44-927.jpg
2016-2-17_11-4-18-909.jpg
2016-2-29_17-36-58-116.jpg
2016-2-28_9-7-23-747.jpg
2016-2-22_15-8-24-136.jpg
2016-2-29_18-2-40-816.jpg
2016-2-24_11-47-35-412.jpg
2016-2-22_15-3-15-399.jpg
2016-2-21_15-1-22-365.jpg
2016-2-23_15-47-23-729.jpg

Ive also been trying to find better cfg HDR settings.  I went back to HDR Sat of 1.0 but i have found that raising day exposure and lowering brightness can have some nice effects.

Right now Im using brightness of 1.05 with bloom magnitude at .6 and exposre at .34.  I've tried exposure as high as .40 with brightness at .85 but its just a bit too saturated that way.

VERY nice screens! :wub:

I'm striving for a realistic look myself, and I'm definitely going to try your CFG settings. I'm currently at day exposure 0.30, brightness 1.15, but I get some washed out textures in bright sunlight (experimenting with saturation at 1.3 to 1.4, I'll try to dial it back and apply your exposure/brightness values). Did you make any changes to HDR_BLOOM_BLUR_SIGMA  or HDR_BLOOM_THRESHOLD?

BTW, which sky theme did you use for these shots? So far, my favorite for daytime has been your "sky2 150907".

Big thanks for sharing the settings and themes!

Tym

20 hours ago, TymK said:

VERY nice screens! :wub:

I'm striving for a realistic look myself, and I'm definitely going to try your CFG settings. I'm currently at day exposure 0.30, brightness 1.15, but I get some washed out textures in bright sunlight (experimenting with saturation at 1.3 to 1.4, I'll try to dial it back and apply your exposure/brightness values). Did you make any changes to HDR_BLOOM_BLUR_SIGMA  or HDR_BLOOM_THRESHOLD?

BTW, which sky theme did you use for these shots? So far, my favorite for daytime has been your "sky2 150907".

Big thanks for sharing the settings and themes!

Tym

Thanks, Tym.  Im  glad you're enjoying my work.  The skies in these shots are basically the same sky but in a couple shots the suns have have been changed which in P3D  appears to affect the tint of the sky.  LM have made things quite complicated really.  Not only does the lighting change with location and time and season but now everything is also changed by any and every settings change you make.  Even changing cloud sets can/will change your sky.

I havent messed with BloomBlurSigma.  Ive never had much luck with changing that setting.  Ive considered raising the BloomThreshold but havent really experimented with it yet.

It seems to me that raising DayExposure and lowering Brightness has the perfect effect of adding some warmth back to the sky, cockpit, and ground but it doesnt change the clouds except that it makes them bloom quicker.  The upside is that the bloom seems cleaner somehow.  I had tried increasing the HDRSaturation but I was never completely happy with that.  I cant make v3 look like v2.4 but I am enjoying what I have now.  Try also a brightness of .85 with bloom magnitude of .6 and dayexposure at .40  and HDR Saturation at 1.0 and try those settings with the daytime I uploaded in feb 2016 (Feb 07?).  Thats whats in several of these pictures. 

Thanks to everyone who commented here.  I appreciate it.  Ill upload some more stuff when I decide on whats worth sharing.  I hate to upload 5 cloud sets that are nearly identical excpet for the stratus.  (but I might do it anyway...) even the stratus are similar... 

Hi Dave,

Thanks for all the additional pointers, I'll definitely keep experimenting.

16 hours ago, sightseer said:

Thanks, Tym.  Im  glad you're enjoying my work. The skies in these shots are basically the same sky but in a couple shots the suns have have been changed which in P3D  appears to affect the tint of the sky.

I really like the overall feel of your themes, and the September set works best for me. Are you using sun effects from REX, etc. or your custom ones?

LM have made things quite complicated really.  Not only does the lighting change with location and time and season but now everything is also changed by any and every settings change you make.  Even changing cloud sets can/will change your sky.

I've noticed that. Plus, as I was trying to modify some dusk/dawn textures, I discovered that LM seem to have changed the use of the "environment pixels". Someone asked them for clarification in their forums, but so far, they haven't given any answers.

I havent messed with BloomBlurSigma.  Ive never had much luck with changing that setting.  Ive considered raising the BloomThreshold but havent really experimented with it yet.

Higher BBS values tend to prevent some of the "overbloom", but I haven't really made any "scientific" tests, either.

It seems to me that raising DayExposure and lowering Brightness has the perfect effect of adding some warmth back to the sky, cockpit, and ground but it doesnt change the clouds except that it makes them bloom quicker.  The upside is that the bloom seems cleaner somehow.  I had tried increasing the HDRSaturation but I was never completely happy with that.  I cant make v3 look like v2.4 but I am enjoying what I have now.  Try also a brightness of .85 with bloom magnitude of .6 and dayexposure at .40  and HDR Saturation at 1.0 and try those settings with the daytime I uploaded in feb 2016 (Feb 07?).  Thats whats in several of these pictures. 

I've found the Feb 07 textures and I'll definitely try these as well as the higher exposure / lower brightness combination.

Thanks again for sharing these findings and texture sets! :)

Tym

Great shots and really nice variety here.

I find that some people tend to over look their nvidia control panel settings. One setting that I found has big influence in how things look and often gets neglected is gamma correction.

Surprising how much of a difference this makes to the sim when this is set right for your PC. Since I adjusted this to the correct setting, my shots no longer have that really dark look to them when using HDR. Scenery seems to pop out a bit more.

Worth a try for a 2 minute tweak.

Cheers

John :)

23 hours ago, TymK said:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for all the additional pointers, I'll definitely keep experimenting.

I really like the overall feel of your themes, and the September set works best for me. Are you using sun effects from REX, etc. or your custom ones?

I've noticed that. Plus, as I was trying to modify some dusk/dawn textures, I discovered that LM seem to have changed the use of the "environment pixels". Someone asked them for clarification in their forums, but so far, they haven't given any answers.

Higher BBS values tend to prevent some of the "overbloom", but I haven't really made any "scientific" tests, either.

I've found the Feb 07 textures and I'll definitely try these as well as the higher exposure / lower brightness combination.

Thanks again for sharing these findings and texture sets! :)

Tym

Tym -  thanks for the tip on bloomBlurSigma  and also for mentioining that 'sky2 150907'.  I went back to look at it with the exposure at .40 (bright.85 etc) and I actually think it looks better than what I uploaded in February so I think Ill just stop trying with skies for a while.  Im not using anything from REX.  My stuff works with default P3D.

I saw that someone asked about the lighting pixels and Id love to help but its not like I know everything on these skies - far from it - I just play around and observe the changes.

Add in the fact that the set of rules that applied to FSX thru v2.2 are different from versions after 2.2 and then each subversion and the lighting/shader code changes make the pixels influence different for each shader change - it all gets a bit complicated.  Feel free to ask me about sky textures...Ill answer correctly if I can (if anyone can - thats why theres no sky sdk)  People ask for the rules and the sim is the rules.  It comes down to subtle things.

re sunset/sunrise:  I cant do anything until LM go back to something previous or something more reasonable so I will wish you well in trying to modify things to look better.  There is no control over the bloom - even if you set bloom to zero.  Its hard coded somewhere.  Im amazed that people are OK with the monotone sunset clouds.  Ive always wanted clouds that had shadows during the day and as the sun gets lower in the sky, the clouds slowly get swallowed up in shadow and they have sunlit areas that shift from daytime brightness thru yellow and orange and fiery reds.  Now we just have flat monotone clouds.  I dont understand what LM was going for - or why.

30 minutes ago, John Lovell said:

Great shots and really nice variety here.

I find that some people tend to over look their nvidia control panel settings. One setting that I found has big influence in how things look and often gets neglected is gamma correction.

Surprising how much of a difference this makes to the sim when this is set right for your PC. Since I adjusted this to the correct setting, my shots no longer have that really dark look to them when using HDR. Scenery seems to pop out a bit more.

Worth a try for a 2 minute tweak.

Cheers

John :)

John - Thanks for that tip.  I've always been a believer in keeping settings close to default.  The average user is not a computer expert who could or would 'adjust their monitor and colors correctly'.  they simply choose a default monitor profile that looks good and thats what they see.

As for HDR darkness: not all skies are dark.  The lighting pixels can make any given texture brighter or darker.  have a look at that sky that Tym referenced.  I think it looks pretty good - if I do say so myself :)

Archived