Does Ftx add VOR landmarks?

maikel

Sounds like a stupid question. But I did take a look at pnw bowerman and could not see that vor on the Island between the sea and airport.

Does Ftx / orbx draw all the vor and ndb that are in their product like pnw, nca sca etc.?

Thanks,

Maikel Rozemeijer

NL

If you mean the actual transmitters, I thought they did.  I have looked for them and found them in sceneries before, but I'm not sure if every one is represented in every ORBX scenery.  Best way to find out would be to get a chopper and use the VOR/NDB or GPS to track towards one.  They are fairly hard to spot as they are relatively small, but the objects should be there at the exact location of the navigation aid.  Another thing would be to make sure you have all your settings in the right position for the objects to be displayed.

Cheers,

I have asked for this previous, but was dismissed. Strange - FSX does have the VOR stations, doesn't it? 

In any case - I'd love to see them. They can be generic for all I care, but if antennas can be placed I think a few VOR-stations is no problem. One single generic structure is all I need. :)

Hi guys,

the issue with the FTX Regions is that we place an object exclude file across their entire coverage areas, which removes all 3D objects. It's not feasible to work around a bunch of individual default objects (these object excludes can only be rectangles and can't have "holes") so the only possible approach is to manually place those VOR stations again or extract them from the corresponding default placement files to replace them. Either approach is quite involved and not something we have the budget for with the FTX Regions unless we drop other features. Mind you, not all of the stations are affected, as those closer to airports are automatically pulled into the local airport's object placement file.

I always thought that these types of "bonus" features make for good community projects, which could then be shared in our dedicated subforum for those interested in them.

Cheers, Holger

All thanks for thinking with me.

I asked because I know from some stations around my home near EHAM and have seen them from air myself in a small plane.

But if it is to mutch / expance work then that makes clear.

Maikel.

NL

I haven't really checked in other countries , but in AU (Australia) they are there.

I often tune VOR , NDB or AM radio stations  antenna , then follow the instrument needles flying at

about 50' agl , hit 'Pause' and view them either from the cockpit or by panning about in

spot view.

Checking them against aviation charts indicates that they are in the correct position.

The NDB and AM radio masts are all displayed in my radar by selecting NDB , the VOR are

displayed by selecting VOR.

I get the relevant frequencies from ,

1. The ERSA flip book.

2. The FS map or FS flight planner at in close zooms.

3. My radar at close zooms with VOR and NDB buttons selected on.

The frequencies are then tuned into the applicable radio in your panel ,

the needles or radials then appear in your applicable instruments , they can then be used  for

radio NAVAID navigation or homing , and can be slaved to the autopilot.

Handy if you are into IFR work.

All I can say is that ORBX/ FTX  delivers features that can only be described as fantastic .

Cheers

Karol

Further to previous post , below is a screenshot.

Phillip Island , Victoria , Australia.

- In the radar you will see both the VOR and NDB together with their frequencies.

- Above the glareshield is (nearest) VOR antenna , (further) NDB mast .

- Neither are co located at any airport..

- Both VOR and NDB are tuned to radios , indicating in the Right hand MFD.

- Aircraft is on the 317 CWS VOR radial.

- The nearest airport is YPID - Phillip Is , 5.5 nm from aircraft's current location ,

airport details are displayed in the Left Hand MFD.

CowesVORNDB.jpg

Cheers

Karol

22 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi guys,

the issue with the FTX Regions is that we place an object exclude file across their entire coverage areas, which removes all 3D objects. It's not feasible to work around a bunch of individual default objects (these object excludes can only be rectangles and can't have "holes") so the only possible approach is to manually place those VOR stations again or extract them from the corresponding default placement files to replace them. Either approach is quite involved and not something we have the budget for with the FTX Regions unless we drop other features. Mind you, not all of the stations are affected, as those closer to airports are automatically pulled into the local airport's object placement file.

I always thought that these types of "bonus" features make for good community projects, which could then be shared in our dedicated subforum for those interested in them.

Cheers, Holger

Sorry Holger

But I do not agree , this is after all a Flight Simulator .

The aviation aspects such as VOR's and NDB's  must be included in the scenery , long before the

eye candy features.

I just checked England and they are missing !

Why is it that they appear in AU (Australia) and not in other regions ?

Cheers

Karol

Hi Rob

I create instruments (see above) , I'm not going to start to be a jack of all trades and master of none ,

and learn scenery.

Just count the number of VOR's and NDB's in the various regions  , all of those need to be placed

accurately at the precise Latitude/Longitude , I think that you would agree that you wouldn't attempt

that task .

That's why we pay money and buy scenery .

Cheers

Karol

Inspired by this thread, I've done some experiments this afternoon, and this might be a fun add-on project... ;) Just placing the VOR objects in Instant Scenery is very easy if you have Plan-G or a similar utility that lets you find each navaid on the map and then move your user object to the exact spot in the sim.

If you want to be more 'creative' with the placement, this can get quite time consuming, and I'm afraid I have neither the skill nor the time to do that. Plus, standard Google satellite imagery doesn't always show the required detail.

However, I've made some quick-and-dirty attempts in PNW... Please bear in mind I have virtually zero experience with IS and I'm learning the very basics...

TOU (Tatoosh) VOR with a bit of the supporting infrastructure:

2016-2-9_22-51-27-287.jpg

Here's the real thing in Google: https://www.google.com/maps/@48.2994001,-124.6260343,516m/data=!3m1!1e3

Elwha (CL) NDB with adjacent structures (the tower is a placeholder, it's way too big, but I can't find a suitable object in the stock FSX/P3D libraries):

2016-2-9_22-59-19-358.jpg

Hoquiam (HQM) VOR (it appears the DME is housed in a separate structure to the east; I had to change the placement of the access road to match the PR background):

2016-2-9_23-5-52-677.jpg

As I said, these are rather poor attempts, but this could be fun for someone who has the skills... ;)

Cheers,

Tym

That bad, eh... ;) BTW, I'll try to add some more and then post the results in the Community Add-Ons subforum, but right now I'm working with the IS developer to eliminate a memory leak which kills P3D v3.1 in polygon placement mode.

Tym

Archived